TKD school - sparring optional?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
How can I make drills that are completely safe and will attract the hundred or so students that are in the area (mostly kids) but won't compromise the self-defense aspects or my hardcore students?

Teach everything the correct way, just start off "lite", make it fun. Make sure everyone is progressing and sees their progress, even if is just a little at a time. But teach them in a way that the cross over to more intense training will be an easy transition. Do not compromise techniques

Then after a bit of time, you can identify those that want to train intense. Give them a special invitation to special training, trust me, they will feel very honored that you invited them.

From there, you can create other groups.

It's not rocket science.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on the market.

I have discovered that all of my hard core training types, from various markets -- from the hood to mansions -- really love using the latest powerair water bags, speed bag platforms, boxing and muay thai mitts, talyoon-bong post, training with electronic hogus, training with elite fighter we bring into our school for months to years long sessions, traveling around the country and to other countries.

No one has complained yet.

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have discovered that all of my hard core training types, from various markets -- from the hood to mansions -- really love using the latest powerair water bags, speed bag platforms, boxing and muay thai mitts, talyoon-bong post, training with electronic hogus, training with elite fighter we bring into our school for months to years long sessions, traveling around the country and to other countries.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! WELL SAID!! +2,Master Cole!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

what? :confused:

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Families love Taekwondo and pretty much it's all families that join these days, which is great. So we have to present Taekwondo in a way that is beneficial for families. Some of those family members are beginning to train in the weekend sessions, which is amazing.

But like I said, we still have intense hard sparring training every weekend, but that is not on a printed schedule.

Do you mean Friday-Saturday weekend or Saturday weekend? Are the hardcore clientele satisfied with training primarily 1-2/week? Or do they have a special hardcore training class during the week separate from the cake and ice cream crowd?

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ANY martial art school that doesnt spar is a rip off that is NOT teaching self defense

period.

So true. While figuring out what style at which dojo I wanted to study out here in the SF Bay Area, I visited one okinawan karate school because all of my karate forms matched the ones they do at their school and therefore keeping my current rank without having to start over would have been doable.... visited the school, watched a class... talked to the owner about the schedule and class options... learned that they don't spar, at all. Never went back there. Went to my current kenpo school I signed up at to visit, they didn't make me watch a class, they let me try a class... worked out with them, asked about sparring, saw their faces light up, made sure they wouldn't make me wear a chest protector during sparring (my last school, a tae kwon do school, did this and I hated it) saw their faces light up even more as they told me they don't allow the students to wear chest guards... knew I was home :)

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Went to my current kenpo school I signed up at to visit, they didn't make me watch a class, they let me try a class... worked out with them, asked about sparring, saw their faces light up, made sure they wouldn't make me wear a chest protector during sparring (my last school, a tae kwon do school, did this and I hated it) saw their faces light up even more as they told me they don't allow the students to wear chest guards... knew I was home :)

I'm sure there's a Kenpo forum on MT where the above might make more sense.

I don't know anything about Kenpo but not wearing a hogu in a Kukkiwon style Taekwondo school during sparring usually means no serious sparring is taking place. Some folks might think otherwise, but a chestguard is not a piece of bling that Taekwondoin wear to show off, or use as a sweat inducer. It's a serious component of protective equipment, which saves ribs from fracture or worse. It's won because some hardworking Taekwondo experts, scientists and sports technology gurus spent years doing research on it's utility and efficacy.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
never worn one, never will, no one really does besides the wtf and the ata

that will let you know something right there.......

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you mean Friday-Saturday weekend or Saturday weekend? Are the hardcore clientele satisfied with training primarily 1-2/week? Or do they have a special hardcore training class during the week separate from the cake and ice cream crowd?

Actually I am not very involved in this anymore. I just watch and shut up :)

My youngest son, who is now 21 is in charge of this group. He is on fire for competition and I do what I can to support his interest. My strict rules are though to keep it away from our regular students. So he is free to schedule these sessions as his whim. The way he does it is he has everyone cell number in his phone and he text them his plan or the week. He usually schedules it around other things, but mostly Monday & Wednesday at his dojang from like 8 pm ish to 10pm ish. Tuesday and Thursday he runs the beach in the morning, about 3 miles and does waterbag, footwork, jump rope and talyoonbong training in the afternoon, then teaches classes at his brothers dojang. Friday, Saturday and Sunday he usually schedules from 6pm to 8-8:30pm ish. Friday will be athletic drills and hogu drills, then only promise sparring, Saturday warm up, paddles/shields, promise sparring then full equipment sparring, Sunday warm up, promise sparring and full equipment sparring.

He has adapted his training style to pretty much match the training style of Yong In Universities current Taekwondo Team. We had Yong In's elite Welter weight, Seo, Min Jae living at our home all last summer, Min Jae introduced these changes.

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually I am not very involved in this anymore. I just watch and shut up :)

My youngest son, who is now 21 is in charge of this group. He is on fire for competition and I do what I can to support his interest. My strict rules are though to keep it away from our regular students. So he is free to schedule these sessions as his whim. The way he does it is he has everyone cell number in his phone and he text them his plan or the week. He usually schedules it around other things, but mostly Monday & Wednesday at his dojang from like 8 pm ish to 10pm ish. Tuesday and Thursday he runs the beach in the morning, about 3 miles and does waterbag, footwork, jump rope and talyoonbong training in the afternoon, then teaches classes at his brothers dojang. Friday, Saturday and Sunday he usually schedules from 6pm to 8-8:30pm ish. Friday will be athletic drills and hogu drills, then only promise sparring, Saturday warm up, paddles/shields, promise sparring then full equipment sparring, Sunday warm up, promise sparring and full equipment sparring.

He has adapted his training style to pretty much match the training style of Yong In Universities current Taekwondo Team. We had Yong In's elite Welter weight, Seo, Min Jae living at our home all last summer, Min Jae introduced these changes.

That is MAGNIFICENT,Master Cole! Lolol. Thank you very much for the information!

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a Kenpo forum on MT where the above might make more sense.

I don't know anything about Kenpo but not wearing a hogu in a Kukkiwon style Taekwondo school during sparring usually means no serious sparring is taking place. Some folks might think otherwise, but a chestguard is not a piece of bling that Taekwondoin wear to show off, or use as a sweat inducer. It's a serious component of protective equipment, which saves ribs from fracture or worse. It's won because some hardworking Taekwondo experts, scientists and sports technology gurus spent years doing research on it's utility and efficacy.

Even with the hogu on, many Taekwondoin have had broken ribs and body knockouts, the strikes are full force, full contact. It does not provide that much protection, and actually, it was not originally so much designed with protection in mind as the hogu was designed to be a surface (cloth and bamboo) to strike with the bare hand and bare foot to simulate self defense.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
never worn one, never will, no one really does besides the wtf and the ata

that will let you know something right there.......

You should try it sometime, you might change your mind.

You think no one wears a hogu but WTF and ATA?

Hapkido, World Karate Federation, Muay Thai, Kendo and Wushu have all adopted the hogu.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
kendo uses a solid chest protector dont they?

didnt know about the others, dont care, never used one, never needed one, wont ever use one.

wont have it on the streets......

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
kendo uses a solid chest protector dont they?

didnt know about the others, dont care, never used one, never needed one, wont ever use one.

wont have it on the streets......

I'm with you on the no hogu deal. Used to feel the same about headgear until I learned it's not so much to protect the head from the kick or punch as it is to protect the head if you go down hard from that sudden stop when it hits the floor. Also use mouth guards,cups, and hand and foot gear. So, the "won't have it on the streets" is a non starter AFAIAC.

Do you use any sparring gear?

Latest Discussions