tkd gloves

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I need gloves to sparr in my Dojan but do'nt know if the WTF aproved ones are good for punching, I do use my hands a lot and as you may know my right hand is hurt so I can use it right now. Don't know if some Mixed MA fighting gloves are better and if my sambunim allowed them on sparring.

Can you advise me wich gloves I should buy?

Manny

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you don't know what is allowed or not, why not start by finding out? It seems kind of a waste to ask us just to maybe find out later that your sambunim do not approve of our recommendation.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
WTF aproved gloves are allowed, I don't use gloves cause I'm not used to but I really need them. I think that maybe the WTF gloves are too thin in the pading and I use full power punches, that's why I'm asking:

1.- Will WTF gloves are good enough for protect hands in full power punching? If not......

2.-What kind of gloves you recomend?

Manny

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
The WTF glaves are necessary if you want to go to WTF szanctioned tournaments (at least on the national/regional; level here in the US...not sure about Mexico though). I use them, they don't provide much protection...they'll keep you from skinning your knuckles. They probably won't stand up to heavy bag work or the like.

Depending on how your sparring (for example, will you be grappling, throwing, etc.) you may want to look at MMA type gloves. You should also look at using wraps with whatever type of glove you go with...although thtat is also not allowed in WTF sanctioned events.

However, really, the best way to avoid getting hurt is to use sound body structure...maybe dial down the power while you work and refine technique. Been there, done that...I feel your pain :)

Peace,
Erik

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Erik is right they are worthless unless you are doing those types of mathches. they are thin and really have no protection at all.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you all, I don't compete in tournaments, my sparring is in dojan an in promotion examinations. I don't care about tournaments, I care to become a better tKD practising that's all. I saw this gloves in karate depot http://www.karatedepot.com/ma-gl-06.html I think they are right so I will ask my sambunim if I can use them in sparring.

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny if you do no tournaments than just wear some MMA gloves they are pretty damm good for inside the school.

Latest Discussions