Tito Ortiz Vs. Demetrious Johnson

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ehh, I'm a big fan of the early days, and in his time he did well with that ankle lock, I'll give him that. The reason he lost all those later fights though is because he never really got anything else while the game evolved past him, and all the other one trick ponies that used to be top dogs back then.

Yes,I agree, it did evolve past him. And, in my opinion, if Royce hadn't been in UFC 1, I think Shamrock would have won the whole darn thing. But you know how "ifs" are.

If you haven't read it, you should check out "Is This Legal?"

IsThisLegal.jpeg

What a fun and insightful read.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes,I agree, it did evolve past him. And, in my opinion, if Royce hadn't been in UFC 1, I think Shamrock would have won the whole darn thing. But you know how "ifs" are.

If you haven't read it, you should check out "Is This Legal?"

View attachment 21332

What a fun and insightful read.
Well, if Gracie wasn't there it wouldn't have even happened. UFC 1 was built ground up to be the Gracie show.

Gordue vs Shamrock in the finale would have certainly been a classic though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, if Gracie wasn't there it wouldn't have even happened. UFC 1 was built ground up to be the Gracie show.

Gordue vs Shamrock in the finale would have certainly been a classic though.

It did end up that way, but Art Davie was trying to answer an age old question in America, "Who would win, a boxer or a wrestler."

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well based on the rule, you need to wait until the reff acknowledge the tap.
Some top fighters been caught using the 'fake' tap to escape themselves and feigned ignorance afterwards.

It is understandable to hold the submission as is until the reff said something, what is not a sportsmanlike conduct is when you put extra 'crank' before you release it, like certain bjj fighter that had been booted from both ufc and bellator.

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk
The referee had stepped in but he refused to let go for a few seconds

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yes, I found that very interesting.
I hope you read art Davies' book sometime, you would find that very interesting as well
Agreed, Buka. A lot is made of Rorion Gracie's role in the early UFCs, which is definitely worth noting. But Art Davies was not a passive, silent partner. The early UFCs were the result of compatible, but not identical, visions.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I found that very interesting.
I hope you read art Davies' book sometime, you would find that very interesting as well
I've never heard anyone contradict the Gracie version of events before. I had always assumed that 'boxer or wrestler' bit was media hype.

I'll check out his book.

Latest Discussions