Titles

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Modern Arnis it varies by org. but the titles are considered master-level and have included Master, Master of Tapi-Tapi, Junior Professor, and Punong Guro. These aren't necessarily automatically awarded with the rank, and Master of Tapi-Tapi in particular was limited to a small number of people, but someone at that rank would be considered a "master". (The org. I'm in doesn't use "master" for its other, unfortunate connotations, and to keep with the Filipino terminology.) Everyone at this rank would still be a Guro (teacher), awarded for all black belts (theer's an asterisk on that statement too).

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
In the Bujinkan, our black belt rank goes from Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yondan, and then Godan. Once you're Godan you're considered a teacher and we call you Shidoshi.

phfman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In Wan Chuan Do all instructor levels are referred to in class as either Sifu or Guro since our foundation is JKD and Kali. However, someone at the level of 5th degree BB would be referred to in title as Full Instructor.

phfman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I trained in Tang Soo Do in the 60's and 70's our BB instructors were referred to as Mr.____ or Sa Bom____. The head instructor of the dojang was referred to as Sa Bom Nim_____. It seems things have become more complicated.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In our system, it's either going to be "Sensei" or "Sempai," depending on whether the individual holding a Godan ranking is one or the other.

So far, all of our Godan or higher ranked people, are instructors and hold the classification of either Sensei or Sempai.

Some of our Godan holders have tested, and earned, the Renshi title, although all of the students and fellow instructors still call them by the title of "Sensei."

Just because someone holds the ranking, though, does not automatically grant him any titles. Becoming a shodan does not make one an instructor sempai (that requires experience, dedication, and an examination), nor does being a more advanced ranking automatically make one an instructor sensei.

However, even if someone doesn't become an instructor, he can still essentially be an instructor of sorts, leading by example.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In CMA that I now study we just use the terms:

Sifu- Teacher/ sometime Father (as to show a strong connection)
Dai Sihing- Oldest brother
Sihing- any guy that studied before you (older brother)
Dai Sije- Oldest sister
Sije- any girl that studied before you (older sister)
Sidai- any guy that studied after you (younger brother)
Simui- any girl that studied after you (younger sister)

and the Sifu refers to his/her students as To Dai (tu di)

and that's it...

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The titles would either be Shihan or Renshi based on their level of teaching experience and how well they teach. However that would only be in writing being spoken to it would be Sensei ??? or ??? Sensei the latter being the proper method.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
5th in Kajukenbo is Sifu.
1st and 2nd - Sibak
3rd -5th - Sifu
6th and 7th - sigung
8th - Professor
9th - GM

OP
K

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Shows that the variations are as plentiful as the styles! Thanks!!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the ABA... black belt. Occasionally "Master" or "Saya" (master in Burmese, or at least a close enough equivalent, I'm told). 8th Level black belts are sometimes called "grand master" or "sayagi"...

We ain't big on titles... :D Most who are called by a title have earned it, like an academic or medical doctorate.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Generally we are on a first name basis but as far as titles go..

Wado Ryu: Anyone who has trained longer than you or with higher rank is Sempai. Black belts are Sensei. 3rd Dan and up are "true" Sensei. Not big on other titles.

Ju Jutsu: Brown belts sometimes called sempai, black belts are Sensei. Renshi and Kyoshi are separate titles typically attained at 5th Dan and 7th Dan for having taught your own students to higher levels.

Kenjutsu: Sempai for Black belts, Sensei reserved for the head teachers in the country.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
My preference is "Mark", but that's just me.

Sensei is the term for us shotokan guys.

Although last thread like this I was in there was an implication that "Papa Smurf" might have to come into use.

:)

Mark

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, you have successfully earned the title of "Papa Smurf" in Robjutsu, and shall be addressed as such.

artFling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
my students call me Mr Tygart

some of them call me John
We also call you .... Hang on, you mean publicly. Nevermind.

In class Mr. Tygart, or sir.

The in class relationship requires respect. By addressing him as Mr. or sir, we are implying that we have an attitude of learning. (Even though, and I don't usually admit this, I am older than Mr. Tygart)

Out of class: open season, with this important fact in mind: TF's capacity for sitting around and dreaming up ways of getting even far outweigh mine.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
5th in Kajukenbo is Sifu.
1st and 2nd - Sibak
3rd -5th - Sifu
6th and 7th - sigung
8th - Professor
9th - GM

So in Kaju, 1st and 2nd black is your "uncle", 3rd to 5th are your "teacher-father", 6th and 7th is your "grandfather", 8th is an academic, presumably a PhD in MA, and 9th is a Grandmaster. Very confusing... when you make a traditional Chinese custom of terms for family into an earned ranking system rather than a description of your relationship to each other. This must be the ranking system that inspired Xue Sheng's "Minor Rant" thread in the Chinese Martial Arts department.

Oh well. People generally respect Kaju as a fighting style, so who cares about messed up terms. Unless you speak Chinese.

BTW, native Chinese speakers have told me that just about anything we non-Chinese try to prounounce in their language comes out sounding pretty silly anyway.

Latest Discussions