Titles

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With Shogo titles, sensei or sempai, depending on whether or not the individual is teaching. Shihan is sometimes used to refer to fifth dan, though I believe that it means Chief instructor, and is usually not related to grade.

In Taekwondo and hapkido, fifth dan is an ohdan and is generally considered a master, which is usually translated from sabumnim, but a KKW fourth dan can sign dan certificates. Also, kyosanim can be used for an instructor of any rank and literally means instructor (sabumnim does not actually mean master).

If a school uses english primarily, I have found that most instructors are simply called master regardless of rank and fifth dans are generally considered master in many systems by that level.

Personally, I am happy with Mister.

Daniel

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In our association: first dans are Cho gyo nims, second dans are Bu Sa bum nims, third are Sa bum nims, fourth are Bu Kwan jang nims (at this level they are considered master instructors), and fifth and above are Kwan jang nims (masters).

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the ITF the titles for Taekwon-Doin are as follows, by rank:

I, II, III dans are all Boo Sabum (Assistant Instructor)
IV, V, VI dans are Sabum (Instructor)
VII, VII dans are Sahyun (Master)
IX dan is Sasung (Grand Master)

Thus, if you were to address a IV dan you would refer to him as, for instance, Smith Sabum Nim or Mr. Smith. When talking directly to someone you would call them Sabum Nim, Sir or Mr. Smith (or whatever his or her name is).

Nim is a Korean honorific that you use when referring to someone else, but you do not use it in reference to yourself.

Pax,

Chris