Thrusting Prongs

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Rainman

When you do thrust into the bladder or the groin what is the body reaction you get?
In most instances, when a proper strike is executed to the groin, it has been my experience that I get a "lift" from the attacker(meaning the body goes up, not back). I do not normally see them bend over with the hips tilted to the rear(this particular action seems to happen more when the attacker is trying to preven himself from getting hit in the groin). As a general rule, when I hit someone in the groin, I get the above mentioned lift and the legs opened, creating an off balance posture and opening up the center line. (This does not seem to be in response to the pain. When I see a pain repsonse, they usually crumple, or bend over and back away.) More often than not, when I hit a bladder in the studio, I get an upper torso crunch and then have to be aware of an involuntary head butt. In the real world, not only do I get the above reaction, but have caused the attacker to void their bladder.

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Seig
In most instances, when a proper strike is executed to the groin, it has been my experience that I get a "lift" from the attacker(meaning the body goes up, not back). I do not normally see them bend over with the hips tilted to the rear(this particular action seems to happen more when the attacker is trying to preven himself from getting hit in the groin). As a general rule, when I hit someone in the groin, I get the above mentioned lift and the legs opened, creating an off balance posture and opening up the center line. (This does not seem to be in response to the pain. When I see a pain repsonse, they usually crumple, or bend over and back away.) More often than not, when I hit a bladder in the studio, I get an upper torso crunch and then have to be aware of an involuntary head butt. In the real world, not only do I get the above reaction, but have caused the attacker to void their bladder.

Interesting. I expected the bladder reaction and was even prepared for the groin reaction be it still surprises me. You know the normal reaction for a groin strike is the hips go slightly backward and the knees come together with an upper body compression... kinda like a concave stance unless the strike is coming up. Are your people a lot taller than you are or is your groin strike curved or are you dropping down really low?

On an incoming head but from the bladder strike is the body bent forward at the hinge or waiste area or what is causing the opponensts head to move in?

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. I expected the bladder reaction and was even prepared for the groin reaction be it still surprises me. You know the normal reaction for a groin strike is the hips go slightly backward and the knees come together with an upper body compression... kinda like a concave stance unless the strike is coming up. Are your people a lot taller than you are or is your groin strike curved or are you dropping down really low?

On an incoming head but from the bladder strike is the body bent forward at the hinge or waiste area or what is causing the opponensts head to move in?
I am only 5'8" Most people are taller than I am, and I drop down too to take advantage of my low center of gravity and weight. As for the head comming in, I believe that is due to the angle of my strikes forcing their hips back at the pelvic joints.

R

Rainman

I am only 5'8" Most people are taller than I am, and I drop down too to take advantage of my low center of gravity and weight. As for the head comming in, I believe that is due to the angle of my strikes forcing their hips back at the pelvic joints.

Which pelvic joints? Do you mean the waist or where your femurs join to the pelvis or all 3?

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which pelvic joints? Do you mean the waist or where your femurs join to the pelvis or all 3?
When I hit someone in that region, it forces their hips back by forcing the hip sockets out and the waist to "crunch", thus opening them up. The unintentional head butt is almost like a whiplash type of movement.

R

Rainman

When I hit someone in that region, it forces their hips back by forcing the hip sockets out and the waist to "crunch", thus opening them up. The unintentional head butt is almost like a whiplash type of movement.

Are you saying their legs open like a convex stance? By crunch you mean a posture similar to crunches... as in situps where the spine compresses with only a slight C curve? Whips are a tricky subject- they can either go joint by joint or fuse a couple of joints or the wave in the whip is very small changing how much movement there is and the speed as well. It is possible to get all of or any of these effects depending on depth of penetraition, angle of incidence and path.

Have to pick this up tommorrow dude... too much fun thanx for the dialogue.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you saying their legs open like a convex stance? By crunch you mean a posture similar to crunches... as in situps where the spine compresses with only a slight C curve? Whips are a tricky subject- they can either go joint by joint or fuse a couple of joints or the wave in the whip is very small changing how much movement there is and the speed as well. It is possible to get all of or any of these effects depending on depth of penetraition, angle of incidence and path.

Have to pick this up tommorrow dude... too much fun thanx for the dialogue.
Any time!!!!!!!
I'm saying their legs open like someone grabbed their knees and pulled them apart. Crunch as in about half a sit up.

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is what I have put togeather

1: Left knee to groin, head butt, fingers to kidneys (shaped like crane beak) all one move

2:Step back into r neutral bow. Elbows out, hands to opp pelvis and push away.

3:Hands circle up the center line and out, grab opp upper arms and pull in as you execute Left kick to mid section.

Think this will work well enough?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Maltair
Here is what I have put togeather

1: Left knee to groin, head butt, fingers to kidneys (shaped like crane beak) all one move

2:Step back into r neutral bow. Elbows out, hands to opp pelvis and push away.

3:Hands circle up the center line and out, grab opp upper arms and pull in as you execute Left kick to mid section.

Think this will work well enough?
When are you going to deal with the fact that the atacker is "bear-huging" and controlling you?

R

rmcrobertson

I agree. In fact, I was bugging a couple of folks about this just Saturday morning...in a similar mistake, one of them was trying to drive their thumbs into the attacker's sternum (!)--hard to do, when you're getting bear-hugged.

In fact, when Toni first taught me this technique, her take was that, for example, you'd been sitting in a bar, and the Really Big Burly Guy right next to you slipped off the bar-stool and just flang his arms around....so, you'd gotten driven back, which was why the forward bow in the ideal phase of the technique, and why the "prongs," went to...the bladder.

Apparently, too, the last ten years of his life or so, good luck trying to get your arms completely around the likes of Mr. Parker and getting some sort of crane-hand into the kidneys. Then too, I tend to suspect that anybody who's going to bear-hug you is going to be big, bulky, and pretty well armored through the torso...

Latest Discussions