Thoughts on flexible weapons nunchaku monkey fist flail meteor hammer etc?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My nunchucks win in a fight against your nunchucks.

G7Zgkrx63GEnfpyg7

G7Zgkrx63GEnfpyg7

Google Image Result for https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a8/8f/7b/a88f7b65e9d2e18722a478d8a08aacec.jpg
Are you really going to risk the wrath of chuck norris by tossing him around? You're a braver man than I

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The courtroom I was doing jury duty in only had sheriffs doing the security. Would you be allowed a 6 d cell maglite flashlight? Yeah I dont travel much if at all.
We have volunteers, backed up by a deputy (though they can't always be present - they also have to do rounds occasionally). And, no, we're not allowed something so obviously a weapon as that. I've identified two easy weapons in the area: a stick used to dislodge anything that gets stuck in the x-ray machine (not very stout - I may replace it someday with a hanbo), and the first roller on the exit ramp of the x-ray machine (easily removed, much heavier than the stick, and probably less likely to break).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does anyone have any stories historical or modern of people using nunchaku or manriki chains or meteor hammers or rope darts or 9 section whips or 3 section staffs or 2 section staffs or a flail or any other historical flexible weapon I have not mentioned? I would like some stories even if they are probably just legend. I have asked for specific stories in my original post and no one has posted any.

If you carry a flexible weapon how many of you have tested it to see how well it does? How much time have you practiced with it?

If you have not practiced with it and dont know how it behaves why are you responding like you do?
I don't have any stories of historical use of any of those weapons, but I can respond to the second part of this. Part of my "flexible weapons" training is using textiles. Specifically, I've trained using an obi (belt) for blocking, takedowns, and restraint. In fact, my normal yellow-belt promotion "ceremony" is surprising the student during a demonstration by taking them down with the new yellow belt, wrapping it around their neck (the start of a strangle) and telling them to go change their belt.

Seriously, I've done a bit of training off and on - enough to get an idea of how to use a sturdy strip of flexible material (it works about the same with a leather belt, which I pretty much always have on, except in the gym). My focus is mainly on understanding where it's an advantage over empty hands, and where it's a liability.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only difference was the meteor hammers was a punch 15 feet away or something like that.

You're saying that like it's nothing.

Foregoing any sort of argument about why hit someone that far away - if they're 15 feet away, how are they going to hit back?

And yet again I would draw into question the validity of any and all 'force' measurements done in videos... Because, every time, it's balls.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also there is a biker gang in the USA that are called the Hells Angels. They carry around ball peen hammers because they are not a weapon

Interesting that you call one of (if not the) biggest patch clubs in the world, with chapters in almost every country, a "biker gang".

Also interesting is that you think you can state 'they' (I can only assume you mean all of them) carry hammers to avoid weapons charges.

Did you get that info from YouTube as well?

Know your audience mate, we're not Catholic schoolgirls who are going to be impressed by your (wrong) knowledge of 'biker gang' weapon culture.

In other words, stop talking crap.

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't have any stories of historical use of any of those weapons, but I can respond to the second part of this. Part of my "flexible weapons" training is using textiles. Specifically, I've trained using an obi (belt) for blocking, takedowns, and restraint. In fact, my normal yellow-belt promotion "ceremony" is surprising the student during a demonstration by taking them down with the new yellow belt, wrapping it around their neck (the start of a strangle) and telling them to go change their belt.

Seriously, I've done a bit of training off and on - enough to get an idea of how to use a sturdy strip of flexible material (it works about the same with a leather belt, which I pretty much always have on, except in the gym). My focus is mainly on understanding where it's an advantage over empty hands, and where it's a liability.

Are these duels or are you fighting like you would in an actual fight?

You're saying that like it's nothing.

Foregoing any sort of argument about why hit someone that far away - if they're 15 feet away, how are they going to hit back?

And yet again I would draw into question the validity of any and all 'force' measurements done in videos... Because, every time, it's balls.

This was an actual documentary done by discovery I believe.

Interesting that you call one of (if not the) biggest patch clubs in the world, with chapters in almost every country, a "biker gang".

Also interesting is that you think you can state 'they' (I can only assume you mean all of them) carry hammers to avoid weapons charges.

Did you get that info from YouTube as well?

Know your audience mate, we're not Catholic schoolgirls who are going to be impressed by your (wrong) knowledge of 'biker gang' weapon culture.

In other words, stop talking crap.

Nope I got my info from going to the Sturgis motorcycle rally every year. My info might be out of date but I am assuming at least some old time members still carry a ball peen hammer. We can call it a patch club if it makes you feel better. Its a bit tomato potato in my mind but its cool. Like with taoist philosophy names limit what a thing is for.

One year I took a twilight sparkle my little pony plushie to the Sturgis motorcycle rally. I even asked 2 separate hells angels if I could take a picture with them holding her. They declined.

This year I am planning on taking my body pillow with nala from the lion king on it there. Will post the pics I take.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are these duels or are you fighting like you would in an actual fight?

This was an actual documentary done by discovery I believe.

Nope I got my info from going to the Sturgis motorcycle rally every year. My info might be out of date but I am assuming at least some old time members still carry a ball peen hammer. We can call it a patch club if it makes you feel better. Its a bit tomato potato in my mind but its cool. Like with taoist philosophy names limit what a thing is for.

One year I took a twilight sparkle my little pony plushie to the Sturgis motorcycle rally. I even asked 2 separate hells angels if I could take a picture with them holding her. They declined.

This year I am planning on taking my body pillow with nala from the lion king on it there. Will post the pics I take.
Discovery also aired that thing about mermaids existing, with one disclaimer about it.

Even without that, things on the discovery channel and similar channels are generally in the realm of "pop science", which should always be taken with a hint of skepticism.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In fact, my normal yellow-belt promotion "ceremony" is surprising the student during a demonstration by taking them down with the new yellow belt, wrapping it around their neck (the start of a strangle) and telling them to go change their belt.
One of my instructors often demonstrates using a belt to block a punch, wraps the belt around the neck, and throws you in a modified neck throw using the belt, finishing off with a strangle on the ground. Has a tendency to scare folks who aren't used to being thrown.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my instructors often demonstrates using a belt to block a punch, wraps the belt around the neck, and throws you in a modified neck throw using the belt, finishing off with a strangle on the ground. Has a tendency to scare folks who aren't used to being thrown.
It is startling. My “promotion ceremony” is sneaky. I have the belt stashed in my gi, and in the middle of demonstrating whatever the technique of the day is, I extract it and use it to take them down. I think the rest of the class enjoy it more than the person being promoted.

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, there are plenty of ways to use a belt (not sure I'd advocate the flail approach, unless the buckle is hella heavy). I was responding to his baiting comment about duels.

This is one of my issues with the martial arts. If you have a belt lets say and you tell the other person to punch you and they do 1 punch and you show how you use the belt. That is great for showing the technique but it is not fighting. It is more like dueling. What you should be doing in is telling the other person to attack you in any way they want and to actually resist then you use a belt.
Depending on what belt you are using maybe even having to take it off your pants. If you do anything else you are fooling yourself when it comes to self defense.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is one of my issues with the martial arts. If you have a belt lets say and you tell the other person to punch you and they do 1 punch and you show how you use the belt. That is great for showing the technique but it is not fighting. It is more like dueling. What you should be doing in is telling the other person to attack you in any way they want and to actually resist then you use a belt.
Depending on what belt you are using maybe even having to take it off your pants. If you do anything else you are fooling yourself when it comes to self defense.
Well, yeah. Thats called a demonstration (and is definitely not dueling). I dont think any of the people who have responded are referring to that when they say theyve trained with a weapon.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice set of assumptions you have there.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, because an instructor DEMONSTRATES a single technique, you can assume he is not capable of "free-styling" a response to any attack? And that most students, as they are learning, would be able to learn multiple techniques and responses faster and better if instead of learning them in some kind of sequence, basically got thrown into the deep end? So, what exactly is your martial arts background?