This is what is wrong with TKD

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe the "conversion age" for 4th Poom is 18, not 15.
Not sure on that, but if you're correct, that means fifth dan by 22.

Now, if the 22 year old is incredibly mature and skilled to the level of 5th dan, that combined with being in the physical prime of life would make for an incredible practitioner. But such people are the rare exception, not the rule.

Daniel

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

No disrespect intended with this post...but...

That link has a lot to do with what is wrong with TKD.

TKD is a martial art. It doesn't require rules to govern it. It makes about as much sense to write that many rules and regulations for eating a salad.

When I started TKD, I was handed 2 sheets of paper. On those sheets of paper were:

instructions on how to tie my belt
what each rank was and what it signified
each form, what rank it belonged to, and the definitions of each form
how to count to 10 in Korean
the most commonly used Korean terms used in TKD and their translations
the tenets of TKD, and the student oath

No articles. No fine print. No lawyer talk.

Like I have said before, orgs exist for the benefit of the ego. No other reason.

It can be argued that orgs can help form unity in a martial art...but...it was understood what forms coincide with which ranks for a long time...and it's that way with other TMA's as well....we don't need an org to tell us that. Things didn't start changing until orgs started messing with stuff...and technically, when the martial art changes as much as this one has because of the orgs, it ceases to be the original martial art.

It can be argued that orgs can set an age limit on who earns what ranks...but...shouldn't that decision be up to the instructor? And, if we're seeing 7 year old 3rd dans, what does that tell us about the instructor? So, if the expectations of a blackbelt are understood from the start by everyone, and if TKD instruction is passed from instructor to student, and the instructor decides when the student is ready to become a teacher, then we shouldn't have the kiddie blackbelt problem that we do now. So exactly how is an organization that would allow someone like me, who is not affiliated with any organization at all, to write a resume of my rank and achievements and receive their certification, their seal of approval, all without ever actually seeing me, going to help unify anything??

And people wonder why TKD is laughed at....

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.eagletribune.com/punews/local_story_032012427.html

Methuen 7-year-old earns black belt in Taekwondo

Most children are learning just the basics of a sport around the age of 7, but not Rayna Rodriguez.
A Methuen resident, she was officially declared a black belt in Taekwondo on Jan. 23. A practitioner of the art since the age of 5, she's also the youngest to attain the rank at Y.K. Kim's TaeKwonDoe Research Institute in Lawrence.

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!
Not only ...

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!
But also...
KKW!?!?!?!?!?!
and...
ATA!?!?!?!?!?!

Daniel

Latest Discussions