This Forum

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tried the fan, but I never really got it down. I haven't tried butterfly sword. I've seen it done before though, it looks really cool.

7sm

T

theneuhauser

i like the heavy ones, if you ever get some for yourself, i suggest combat steel:)

kwandao is pretty heavy too, monk spade even moreso, but ive never even touched one!

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you ever used the hammer?
I like the look of the heavy ones, but I'm not sure how well I would do with them. Seems like I would be really slow.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, I really like the hook. I'm ok with it, but I love to watch one of my Kung Fu sisters use it, she is amazing with it!

T

theneuhauser

traditional melon hammers are heavy as hell.

when you say hook do you mean the walking stick or tiger hooks?
ive touched on both in training.

thankfully, the tiger hooks i used were not terribly sharp otherwise i probably wouldnt be on the forum today :shrug:

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, Tiger Hooks. I love watching someone use them. It allways makes me a little nervous though! I've never touched a melon hammer, but I can only imagine that thye are really heavy!

I just stay with the staff, it is my favorite! Broadsword is pretty cool too, I enjoy it. You know what is hard for me..sectional staff. I don't know why, but it is really hard for me to grasp or something!!:confused:

7sm

T

theneuhauser

You know what is hard for me..sectional staff. I don't know why, but it is really hard for me to grasp or something!!

youre not the only one!! 3 section is one of the hardest weapons because of its jerky nature. probably just under the rope dart in terms of technical level of difficulty.

and btw, melon hammers are hollow, so theyre probably not quite as bad as you think. i believe theyve always been somewhat hollow-i cant think of a metal alloy that wast being cast over 500 yrs ago that would have been light enough to allow for a solid melon hammer. i think bronze copper and iron may have been the only options?

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I still think I wouldn't choose the hammer as my weapon of choice!

7sm

C

chufeng

I am a little curious about the "melon hammers..."

Do you know if they were hollow? or, is that just the way they make the replicas?

Is it possible that the hammers were gilded wood? That is, metal overlying an underlying wooden hammer? It seems that would be a bit more sturdy than a hollow ball of iron, bronze, or brass.

I simply don't know...

:asian:
chufeng

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would be a question for theneuhauser, he said they were hollow, but I don't know about the wooden inlay. I guess its possible, but I just don't know.

7sm

T

TLH3rdDan

great to see some posting going on in this forum... as far as weapons go i would have to say that i love tiger hooks... just now begging to get profficent with them... and butterfly swords are very cool to work with also...

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by TLH3rdDan

great to see some posting going on in this forum... as far as weapons go i would have to say that i love tiger hooks... just now begging to get profficent with them... and butterfly swords are very cool to work with also...

Yes, it is rumored that with enough action here, we might get our own PM forum! *fingers crossed waiting*.

Woo hooo, another vote for the tiger hooks, I love them! I love watching someone who is very profficent with them!

7sm:asian:

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So has anyone heard of the Wah lum Temple in Florida? Let me see if I can find the link....um...well...lets see....Here we are....Wah Lum Temple

My sigung trained there for several years. They practice lightfoot techniques which always amaze me!!

7sm

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wah Lum has a pretty garden. The temple is a typical temple. (lol, it is my personal bias that I don't particularly like to see religion being mixed with MA. Charlatans tend to mystifiy Eastern MA with myth and religion tend to be the perfect cover. Not saying this is the case here. Just in general)

But the guy claims to be "the 6th generation successor of the Northern Praying Mantis System and 33rd generation successor of the Shaolin Temple, China"

Don't know much about the Mantis system.

I like to see some credential of him being the successor of Shaolin Temple in China.

No disrespect. But extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof.

T

theneuhauser

have you ever been to the temple? its not a monastery. its a school that was built in homage to wah lum. and have you ever met gm chan poi? he is genuine. the succesor term is used to describe lineage, not to state some sort of royal inheritance or anything like that. he is simply the man that brought wah lum to america, and when he got here he didnt even intend to teach martial arts. it took alot of persuasion and time by some devoted would be students before he even decided to become an instructor.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Now that is a totally different story. So he is in the "class 33 " (so to speak) of the Shaolin Martial Art then ?. Just one of the students of the 33rd generation of Shaolin then? A day and night difference from "the 33rd generation successor of the Shaolin Temple in China".

I don't know anything about the person.

We were just talking about the extinction of the real Shaolin Temple . ANd long and behold, lol, the 33rd generation successor of the Shaolin is alive and well , residing in FLORIDA USA!!! lol

Oh well.

Like I said, no disrespect. The use of the term "successor" is misleading then. People in TKD/KT don't call themselves the ''3rd or 5th generation successors of TKD/KT" That is where the confusion can get in.

S

Skarbromantis

GM Chan Poi is the real deal, he came down and had lunch with my Sift not too long ago, his Kung Fu is amazing, one of the seniors from our school was going form for form with him , he would do 7* broadsword, GM CP would do WL broadsword, my senior classmate said it was a great experience.

Skard1

T

theneuhauser

watching someone like him in action is a good reminder as to why someone should persue a lifetime in the arts. anyone can learn 90% of what they need to know for effective self defense in one day with a good teacher. but the real benefits of the arts are apparent when you see a 70+ year old guy fall into the splits and jump right out of them.

Latest Discussions