This Forum

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never had the opportunity to see him live, but I have trained with my sigung and that in itself was an experience to remeber!

Originally posted by arnisador

I don't think I know this term?

Lightfoot techniques are the practice of...well basicaly, and forgive my general lack of knowledge in this regard, landing lightly on your feet. They do things like jumping from building landing on thier feet. They say they can land on glass and not break it. they boast feats like tam tui's on styrophome cups. I don't know about all that, but I have seen my sigung put his fingers through a stop sign, and chicken stance on an empty Dr. Pepper can. :confused: VERY impressive!

7sm

T

theneuhauser

alright, ive got to learn the stop sign trick:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by theneuhauser

alright, ive got to learn the stop sign trick:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HAHA, what stop sign officer? You mean this *BAM* stop sign? :D

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

btw, 7*,

where in texas do you train?

I'm in Tyler, Texas. East of Dallas. My sifu is Bradon Jones, my sigung is Sifu Raymond Fogg.

7sm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

watching someone like him in action is a good reminder as to why someone should persue a lifetime in the arts. anyone can learn 90% of what they need to know for effective self defense in one day with a good teacher. but the real benefits of the arts are apparent when you see a 70+ year old guy fall into the splits and jump right out of them.

I totally agree!! I probably will not learn anything new as far as self defense "moves". I mean like, grab this arm, move that leg, ect. But there is a multitude I can still learn for years and years to come!!

7sm

T

theneuhauser

if fate ever brings me to dallas, ill look you guys up!

as big as phoenix, az is, i have not been able to find an instructor for any school of mantis boxing, kind of a big bummer. you guys are fortunate to study 7*- i think its alot more popular in europe for whatever reason.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think your right about 7* being more popular in Europe for some reason. Look us up if your in the area deffinatly! I'll do the same if I'm in Pheonix, I have a sister and brothing-in-law there with my first nephew!! They have allready asked that I teach him Kung Fu when he gets older! :D Remind me again what style you study currently ?

7sm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KennethKu

Now that is a totally different story. So he is in the "class 33 " (so to speak) of the Shaolin Martial Art then ?. Just one of the students of the 33rd generation of Shaolin then? A day and night difference from "the 33rd generation successor of the Shaolin Temple in China".

I don't know anything about the person.

We were just talking about the extinction of the real Shaolin Temple . ANd long and behold, lol, the 33rd generation successor of the Shaolin is alive and well , residing in FLORIDA USA!!! lol

Oh well.

Like I said, no disrespect. The use of the term "successor" is misleading then. People in TKD/KT don't call themselves the ''3rd or 5th generation successors of TKD/KT" That is where the confusion can get in.

I don't think that the extinction of a temple neccesarily means extinction of the arts taught within the temple. The temple may have been destroyed, but that was just the building. It would be the same as your school being destroyed. Your art wouldn't become extinct as well.

7sm

7sm

T

theneuhauser

thats right, elvis is dead too, but the legend lives on....

and right now i study with jinhengli from the beijing wushu team

hes great, albeit, mainly a modern wushu instructor, but he teaches a well rounded curriculum for those of us that are more traditional. now if he only knew northern pm, i would be a very happy guy.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis

I don't think that the extinction of a temple neccesarily means extinction of the arts taught within the temple. The temple may have been destroyed, but that was just the building. It would be the same as your school being destroyed. Your art wouldn't become extinct as well.
7sm

Martial Artist answered this in another thread.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

thats right, elvis is dead too, but the legend lives on....

and right now i study with jinhengli from the beijing wushu team

hes great, albeit, mainly a modern wushu instructor, but he teaches a well rounded curriculum for those of us that are more traditional. now if he only knew northern pm, i would be a very happy guy.

I love watching modern wushu though! It certainly seems to be asthetic!! I don't know much about it though, is it the basic princliples of say wing chun just with a little bit more "show" involved? Have you found any similarities in principle between modern wushu and your pm studies?

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KennethKu

Martial Artist answered this in another thread.

Do you happen to know what thread it was, so I can read on it?

T

theneuhauser

the modern wushu that your thinking of is simply a cross between traditional cma techniques and gymnastics. it came about as a result of the cultural revolution in china. its largely demonstrative and showy with little combat in mind except for the arts from which they were developed. none of these things are bad, really, its just another piece of the MA world. jet li and my instructor literally grew up together at the sports academy in beijing, learning many things about martial arts, including the traditional and combative aspects, but they were never an emphasis. it takes an enormous skill and fitness level to do it, but it's not for fighting.

wing chun is far removed from modern wushu, and they are both wushu, nontheless. there is some PM in it, alot of northern techniques and animal forms, not the systems, mainly mimicry type forms, very beautiful to watch.

if your wondering why the heck am i learning this stuff? its because my instructor is amazing, just a wonderful person and a great coach and teacher. take modern wushu, add some well rounded internal training and some applications and qin na and you end up with a pretty good curriculum.

but no, i do not use wushu steel weapons, never have, never will. im strictly combat steel and fat staffs until i die, got to keep it real, you know. :)

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats really cool that your instructor grew up around Jet Li, I really don't have anything bad to say about wushu in that since. Alot of people will say its not MA, its not worht anything, and it doesn't help increase your skill, but I tend to disagree. It may not be as combat oriented as most arts, but the simple asthetisicm of it, the simple training procedures that you would have to endure to learn the art, I would think will help your skills. I am very interested in wing chun, in fact, I will most likely look into it before too long, no one in my area now though.
I think thre are many different skill types to develop to be a great martial artist in the CMA. I think modern wushu can deffinatly contribute to some of those skills. And it looks like you really have to be in shape as well!

:D Keep it real!!

T

theneuhauser

jet li is filming a movie right now, but im hoping he will come see us for the martial arts festival in phoenix this october.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

jet li is filming a movie right now, but im hoping he will come see us for the martial arts festival in phoenix this october.

Now if you do not post and let me know when he might come, I will be very angry and will have to do 5th Son Staff technique over the internet to you!!:D

T

theneuhauser

hes kind of wishy washy about those types of commitments i think, i dont blame him either, but if he gives us a yes, i will let you know. it should be a great event either way. people come from all over the US and even many other countries.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

hes kind of wishy washy about those types of commitments i think, i dont blame him either, but if he gives us a yes, i will let you know. it should be a great event either way. people come from all over the US and even many other countries.

I bet he is, it would be awesome to see him live though!

Hey, as you have studied pm and seem versed in CMA, what do you think about the two sotries about how the different styles of pm came about(plum, 8step, 7*, ect). Do you know what I mean, the story about the differnet praying manits' the students found and they had marks on them respectivly.

7sm

Latest Discussions