This could be awkward...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
About a week ago, I posted a breaking video. Nothing spectacular, just me breaking 5 16x8x2" pavers as prep for my 1st Dan test on Nov 5th.
Saturday, during our regular class, I was sparring three people, also as practice since this is required for BB tests in our Moo Duk Kwan school.
I had hit my left-most opponent with a spinning back kick and moved them back enough to ignore them for a second. Another opponent (my 24yo 5th geup son) moved in slightly to my left as the third moved in from the right. The guy on the right dropped his guard so I threw a roundhouse to his head. At the same time, my son threw a front kick. I blocked his kick at the same time as my roundhouse landed. Unfortunately, my timing was off on the block. Instead of the hammerfist striking his leg, my hand moved in front of his leg and I took the impact on the 4th & 5th knuckles. Ooops.

I finished the round, but when I took my gloves off it was obvious that I'd broken the 4th metacarpal. I reduced it and until my wife noticed me favoring it while driving home, nobody knew.

I got to work last night, and X-rayed it. Not good. The distal 1/3 of the 4th metacarpal is fractured, at a sight angle. This is the piece that I reduced, and it is actually very well aligned. The proximal 2/3 is split lengthwise.

I'll see the hand surgeon tomorrow. I think it's reduced well enough that I won't need surgery, but we'll see what he says.

I still intend to test Nov 5th. I just won't be using my left hand. And we're leaving Dec 5th for Cozumel for 10 days of diving.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most unfortunate! I hope you heal quickly and without surgery. You may not be able to dive if casting is needed. Your test will be more difficult as well. Bummer all around.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck. You're a warrior, you'll do just fine. I can tell already, you'll walk in and perform just as well as you would healthy cast or no.

It always seems like the injuries come right before testing doesnt it?

Definitely. I got my BB with a broken left finger, a sprained wrist and an absolutely brutal ear infection. Good times.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a good healer, and not in the habit of letting things like this slow me down. I tested for my 3rd geup 6 weeks to the day after having 18" of gut removed due to cancer. Compared to that, this will be easy. :)

Waterproof casts have been available for years, so I'm not worried about that either. That's 5 weeks from now, so the bone will be mostly healed by then, and would be fine (with a little caution) even without the cast.

I'm optimistic about avoiding surgery. The x-rays show everything in excellent alignment, and they were taken 10 hours after I reduced it. I didn't have a splint on either, so if it went that long unsplinted while maintaining alignment, it shouldn't slip now. So I'm hopeful, but also aware that ER is my area, not hands.

I spoke with Sabumnim tonight and told him what happened, and that I want to continue as planned. He's ok with my choice.

Most irritating thing? Typing. I'm normally a 90WPM typist.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, this is why I work on Conditioning every Knuckle, rather than just the Two - Since whilst the First Two are Optimal, alot of People neglect the others as a result.
But then, that is one of the more Vulnerable ones.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yiiikes. I enjoyed the video you did...sorry it had such a price :( Hope you heal up soon!

Latest Discussions