Things that p*ss me off...

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by gozanryu
Martial Artist, Not only does he claim to be an officer, the Navy claims his to be an officer. An officer with a Trident on his uniform.
Really? The Navy claims him to be an officer? Who's command was he under? With your statement, there may be a chance he was in the Navy, but I doubt anything without solid proof. A trident on the uniform doesn't mean anything, you can get one for $3.95. Maybe he was a SEAL, who knows? You know him personally, being one of his students, so could you do us a favor and fill out the form below?

http://www.authentiseal.org/report.htm

Thanks in advance

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by MartialArtist
Maybe he was a SEAL, who knows? You know him personally, being one of his students, so could you do us a favor and fill out the form below?

http://www.authentiseal.org/report.htm

I and a few others already checked and his claim to being a SEAL checks out..........however just because that is true doesn't mean the rest is true.
I doubt very much he had the time or resources to do all the things he claims.

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by RyuShiKan
I and a few others already checked and his claim to being a SEAL checks out..........however just because that is true doesn't mean the rest is true.
I doubt very much he had the time or resources to do all the things he claims.
Maybe a little overboard with exaggeration but he does check out as a SEAL which is a good thing. At least he's telling the truth on a couple of those things. SEALs do not get extensive hand-to-hand combat training as you would under a real teacher, but going through the process of becomming a SEAL does say something about his determination. I do however still have doubts on his claims on degrees.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. Chinese ninjitsu[sic] that uses nunchaku. Check out this bit of wisdom:

Step One: Solve Problems With Your Mind Instead Of Your Nunchakus. While nunchakus are a time-honored tradition of dispute settlement among the ninja, their use is usually discouraged in the typical American office. The next time someone steals your stapler or eats your lunch from the office refrigerator, try saying a few friendly, but firm, words to them instead of smashing their skull with your nunchakus.

This nugget of sagacity was under a section titled: "How to hide your ninja lifestyle from your co-workers".

Also, check out the three Chinese systems and one Korean system. All of which make use of katas[sic].

I didn't know tai chi taught kata. Must be the super-ultra-secret Japanese influence.

:shrug:

Cthulhu

T

tonbo

Uh.......yeah.

Well, at least it was....um.....*interesting*. Nice pajamas on the Sigung, too. Purple is *such* a fear and awe-inspiring color.

Wow. :rolleyes: :confused: :shrug:

Peace--

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Purple is *such* a fear and awe-inspiring color

The purple would be from the influence given him from the Roman Empire and the gladiatorial style of fighting that he keeps secret and only trains his high ranking students in.:rofl:

T

tonbo

The purple would be from the influence given him from the Roman Empire and the gladiatorial style of fighting that he keeps secret and only trains his high ranking students in.

Oh, yeah. I should have seen that. Makes sense, now.

Freaking' ninjas. They shouldn't go around clouding my mind like that. It just ain't fair.

:rofl:

Peace--

R

Rex Ninway

This is for all the martial artists thats been putting down sensei Shannon Kawika Phelps. I, myself have been training in the art of ninjitsu, Ninway Ninjitsu. I am from Hawaii, where Shannon and my sensei have practice. I have been studying ninjitsu for more than ten years. I have met sensei shannon and learned many things about the person just by asking questions and looking through his eyes. And just to let everyone know, I too was in the service, enough too know what is bull. Anyway, to ever know about a person in is not to hear from someone but to hear, see and actually be there. I assure you that he will have all the information you need to know about him and his dojo and maybe even his life. what I'm trying to say is that why waste any of your energy trying to put a person down when you have never ever even met the person. It is totally different from hearing about the person than actually be there. Talk to your sensei about it if you don't understand. If any of you have any questions about his martial arts ask him. I'm sure he'll answer. Just don't go writing about something you can't understand and don't go asking your sensei who he is and if his martial arts is false cause I'll tell you one thing, your sensei is not Shannon Kawika Phelps.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don't bother, most of the people who were discussing it don't post here any more, so trying to resuscitate this thread won't work. Just let it die.

T

taiyong

I have studied several martial styles since my youth, originally aikido with my math tutor who held a shodan, I've studied Kempo as well with the masters of the KARA-HO group, Grandmaster Kuoha, Sensei Ka'imi, and Sensei John, Cosmo and a few others. I have also prior to studying Kempo, studied at Kawika Sensei's Dojo. To start off I feel that your accusations about the appearance of the Dojo are pretty uncalled for, though they have now moved locations, the appearance of the previous dojo was very breathtaking, to me it showed that Kawika had much more than simply a sense for the Japanese style, though not a teribbly large room it was decorated in such a way that one felt peaceful just walking into the room. I've been at both ends of the deal, studying in grimy sweaty dojos, and at very nice clean studios there both fine, just so long as you are there to train. I have not verified Kawika Sensei's military experience but the way I see it being authorized to wear the Green Beret must have meant that he recieved some sort of Language training; in addition, growing up in hawaii did expose him at an early age to asian influence, I am asian I live in San Diego and in fact Kawaika's school is right by my house, I do not believe that one has to be Japanese to understand Japanese culture, I was born in LA and grew up in San Diego but I can sum up Japanese culture in a nut shell, their stubborn their honorable, they give respect when they recieve respect and they somehow became masters of feng shui without even trying, all those silly old chinese ladies doing feng shui should just try visiting japan to see what real feng shui is, anyone who has been to a real japanese home knows that they got everything and they got it all somehow stylishy crammed into an apartment the size of most master bedroom suites. Anyway I got off topic, I am now nearly a fifth year of SMall Frame Chen Tai Ji, Xiao Jia for those who speak it, Tai Ji is the real martial art and unfortunately there is very little real tai ji in the world today, I can say without a doubt that Kawika Sensei does not teach or know real tai ji , but it's not his fault his teacher did not know it either. Tai Ji is obscure a mystery the world generally practices what was taught to the invading mogolian rulers by the original Yang tai ji guy who learned his art from the chen village. He made up some advanced martial arts but it was certainly not real tai ji. However, even though in my own opinion Kawika's Tai ji is not real it is still better that anyone else's I've seen around here except perhaps another master I studied with for a year or so named Jesse Tsao who ironically also lived very near me. I travelled to the east and studied with a great man who deciphered the true tai ji using his own knowledge of modern mechanics and the ancient chen boxing manual(which is really the only book ever written to teach tai ji, everything else is just vague principles which do not allow a student to decipher actual movements and techniques. As far as hand to hand goes I have to give my credit to Grandmaster Kuoha and Kara-Ho Kempo those guys would drop 90% of the other martial artists out their in a second, many SEAL's and Recon guys study this art, particulary the Recon guys because their is a Sensei named Al who is a bad *** Recon guy I think he is probably retired now but I'll tell you what one look from his eyes and you'll know he has seen some serious ****, he instructs certain Recon Units in this form of hand to hand. Kawika's martial art seems unrealistically "gentle" particulary for a combat soldier, many of the "rake" and "nerve stiking" techniques would not be useful against someone with a tatical vest on or hell even someone with a thick jacket, Kara-Ho kempo would be more like this, Move in forward straight forward stance quickly, blast a punch tot he face and hit him if he doesn't react fast enough and virtually at the same time your foot should be kicking his knee joint in half. Certainly more effective even if your up against some painted up recondo graduate with gore between his teeth.

I give Shannon's school an A
simply because he teaches important aiki techniques but ironically Grandmaster Kuoha even being a Kempo Master, knows a hell of alot more about aikido than anyone I've ever met, but more importantly he knows how to effectively implement aiki principles in a combative fashion, which is very deadly.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taiyong,
I hope you do not take offense when I say that I think you should work on yoru writting skills. It was kind of hard to understand a lot of what you were writing and your lack of paragraphs and such kind of takes way from the message you are trying to make.

taiyong said:
To start off I feel that your accusations about the appearance of the Dojo are pretty uncalled for, though they have now moved locations, the appearance of the previous dojo was very breathtaking, to me it showed that Kawika had much more than simply a sense for the Japanese style

You are talking with at least two people who live in Japan that find his "more Japanese than the Japanese" style with things like its gongs and a mat that he can sit like a feudal lord to be somewhat offensive based on our experiences. Have you ever been to Japan? Maybe lived here and speak the language? I assume not and have to say that your experiences are somewhat lacking. You say you understand Japanese culture based on living in LA and San Diego. Some of us have actually lived in Japan for years and speak from a much greater experience about the matter than you.

taiyong said:
I can say without a doubt that Kawika Sensei does not teach or know real tai ji , but it's not his fault his teacher did not know it either.

Ah, but when you were training under him you beleived it was real Tai ji, did you not? That is the nature of things in the martial arts. If you do not have experience with better, you would think that even the worst is good. Take a look at all the glowing reccomendations for Ashida Kim books on Amazon.

And unfortunately there is a lot of mediocrity in the martial arts today. Some people believe that Phelps is a good teacher, because they have not met a true master. You know he does not do good taiji, but can your opinion about his other areas be explained away by your own lack of experience with better martial artists?

T

TSUKIMASTER

I have a first hand story kind of the opposite. When I was still taking classes years ago my snesi, who is a well known Japanese 8th dan stated to a class full of white boys that Americans are lazy, worthless piles of excrement and he hates teaching them. Needless to say, it was my last class at that dojo.
The higher you get the bigger your head gets.... well, for most anyway.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TSUKIMASTER said:
I have a first hand story kind of the opposite. When I was still taking classes years ago my snesi, who is a well known Japanese 8th dan stated to a class full of white boys that Americans are lazy, worthless piles of excrement and he hates teaching them. Needless to say, it was my last class at that dojo.
The higher you get the bigger your head gets.... well, for most anyway.

Who was the 8th dan teacher?

Latest Discussions