"The Salva Virgo" or "Virginity Saver".

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"The Salva Virgo" or "Virginity Saver". Anyone know anything about these small knives that Spanish women carried in their bodice to prevent themselves from being raped? The intent, apparently, wasn't to defend their lives - merely their honor. Of course, we are wiser now, and recognize that their is NOTHING dishonorable about being the victim of sexual assault - the dishonor lies entirely with the perpetrator. I first heard about this from a controversial source that I don't want to mention here for fear of trolling.

Thoughts on this weapon? Information? My understanding is that it was held close-in to prevent disarms and was mainly held at the chest to slice offending hands. Is this correct?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
"The Salva Virgo" or "Virginity Saver". Anyone know anything about these small knives that Spanish women carried in their bodice to prevent themselves from being raped? The intent, apparently, wasn't to defend their lives - merely their honor. Of course, we are wiser now, and recognize that their is NOTHING dishonorable about being the victim of sexual assault - the dishonor lies entirely with the perpetrator. I first heard about this from a controversial source that I don't want to mention here for fear of trolling.

Thoughts on this weapon? Information? My understanding is that it was held close-in to prevent disarms and was mainly held at the chest to slice offending hands. Is this correct?
I recall reading about this weapon for women and young girls who maintain their virtue til they married. I tried googling for a picture of the blade but none to be found... there's a video on Amazon on traditional spanish knife fighting techniques that covers it... but nothing on the knife or history of it... hmm

anyone else might have better luck than I??

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SABASA - this lovely young woman painted by Goya disappeared, as did many thousands of others, during the 1808 war in Spain against the Napoleonic French invadors. I like to think of her with one of these knives in her hand and a pile of dead rapist soldiers, looters or deserters at her feet!

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was told personallyy but the most likely author of the controversial text that the Salva Virgo was carried in the womens garter and when the rapist would lift her dress to do the deed he would make the drawing of the knife that much easier and she would try and castrate him...true or not, it makes a nice story:)

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
James Loriega had a small piece on this in his book "SELLIVAN STEEL".
Not much detail but some good pictures of the small knife.

--Jeremy Bays

Latest Discussions