Best Display of Western Martial Arts in Cinema?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'd have to go with Rober De Niro in "The Mission" and Timothy Roth in "Rob Roy". Any other nominations for films that displayed the best use of Western Martial Arts?

Stan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:

I'd have to go with Rober De Niro in "The Mission" and Timothy Roth in "Rob Roy". Any other nominations for films that displayed the best use of Western Martial Arts?

I'd agree especially on "Rob Roy". One of my all time favorites. I've always wondered though, what style Cunningham was supposed to be portraying. His weapon looks like smallsword, which has absolutely no cutting edge, yet he is able to make numerous light cuts against Rob. I've liked his fighting style for it's compactness, almost wing chun like in its efficiency.

I also quite like Daniel Day Lewis's "Bill Cutting" in "Gangs of New York". Unfortunately from what I read, the fights in that movie didn't consult Western manuals or experts. However, I liked the protrayal of him as a highly skilled fighter with knowledge of anatomy and a high level of precision. Western fighters are seldom given such attributes in the movies. I love the scene where he explains to Leo's character how to kill a man, using a pig as a dummy.

Speaking of this, based on the trailers, I'm highly disappointed by the protrayal of Western arts in the upcomming "Fearless" with Jet Li. Of course, I'm going to see and enjoy the movie, and of course, a Jet Li movie will focus on "Kung Fu". Yet the reviews I read say that Li's character easily overwhelms an English, German and Spanish fighter in the torunament, and it is only the Japanese fighter who puts up any kind of challenge. I had hoped that as far into the Western Martial Art renaissance as we are, this kind of "Kung Fu expert vs Western dud" .

Come to think of it, how many movies are there where you ever see a Chinese fighter being beaten by another nationality, even Japanese?

In terms of TV shows, I used to enjoy the Spanish Zorro show from the early 90's featuring Duncan Regehr. Does anyone remember this show?

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
In terms of TV shows, I used to enjoy the Spanish Zorro show from the early 90's featuring Duncan Regehr. Does anyone remember this show?

I would like to nominate the MASK OF ZORRO (1st movie). I like the trainimg scenes.

--Jeremy Bays

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well since the mention of "Western Martial Arts" and cinema, I would actually put in as an honorable mention the gun scene in Ronin when they are near the river/canal and they disrupt the ambush.

But I would put in the running street fight in "Heat" as a very nice scene.

Oh wait you mean, no firearm scenes. I will think on that one. ;)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't really think it's the best, but the early '70s Three and Four Musketeers with Michael York directed by Richard Lester. Some of the funnest rapier choreography ever. Also like showing of the different styles such as using a main gauche, cloak, case, etc.

JeffJ

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
1975 version of The Count of Monte Christo-excellent duel at the end between Richard Chamberlain and Tony Curtis, both of whom really fenced. In fact, a few of those movies with Tony Curtis-Spartacus comes to mind,especially the training sequences in the beginning and the match between Kirk Douglas and Woody Strode.This movie portrayed training in the lanista and the use of the gladius fairly well, considering the penchant for just winging it in Hollywood at the time. The Vikingsis also good for the combat scenes, though Tony Curtis's famous accent sort of wrecks it (Yondah lies the castle of me faddah?:lol: )

While not great, the swordplay scenes in Robin Hood and Ivanhoe were okay, as was the all too brief quarterstaff duel with John Little in Robin Hood, but to really see some cool stuff from Errol Flynn, see Captain Blood, one of my favorite all time pirate movies..:pirate4: :piratedan :piratelau

Lastly, Last of the Mohicans had some fairly authentic Native American/Colonial Frontiersman stuff, as did The Patriot, though it was overlong and hokey.....

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
elder999 said:
Lastly, Last of the Mohicans had some fairly authentic Native American/Colonial Frontiersman stuff, as did The Patriot, though it was overlong and hokey.....

Good catch on "Last of the Mohicans"! I forgot about that one. Really, really great scenes in that one.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Its a Spaghetti Western it has some good fights at the Bar Scenes, a couple good back fists and flips and all, its actually the Spaghetti Western that started the whole Spaghetti westerm movement.

It is a bit corny, the main character it too John Wayne and not enough Clint Eastwood, but if you like that genre you may like it.

Dave Dickey

White Belt
Reaction score
Not sure how old it is BUT.....I rented "Blackbeard" and it starred the guy from Braveheart who play Robert The Bruce. He was heavier and even had a stronger scottish accent. And while they took liberties with factual history the swordfights were something to watch. They actually looked like they were fighting....I mean each fight did not go on for ever and there was punching with the baskets and kicking and disarms. I was very impressed......

B movie with A fight choreography......

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll agree with anything with Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone, and Princess Bride (hell, they were actually discussing their techniques while doing them!)

But while it may not have been completely "Western" - I loved the "Duel" in the 13th Warrior.

Fionn McCool

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I actualy liked the fighting in TROY. Don't know how authentic it is, but it looked very slick.

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
While I may disagree on how historically accurate the holmgang was in 13th Warrior I will say that it was the one historical bright spot in an absolute mish mash of crap film....so you might be able to decude that I did not like the movie?:)

Latest Discussions