Who Practices a Western Martial Art?

What Western Martial Art Do You Practice?

• Western Style Boxing

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Wrestling

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • Fencing

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Archery (with Western Style Bows)

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • Krav Maga

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • Russian Martial Arts

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Savate

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Native American Fighting Arts

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 36 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who on MT Practices a Western Martial Art and WHY? Western Martial Arts (WMA) include, but are NOT limited to: Western Boxing, Wrestling, Krav Maga, Systema and other RMA, Fencing, Native American Fighting Arts, Archery using Western style bows, and Savate. You may choose more than one!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where to begin?

I've been boxing since I was about 8, or at least, learning to box since then-I did do the Golden GLoves and nearly get my head handed to me. I also picked up a little about Indian combat a long the way, and I wrestled for a short time in middle school and high school, but quit because making weight was stupid for someone with my medical history (or anyone at that age, but it was the 70's....). I've been an archer for a long time, though I pretty much use it exclusively to hunt elk and deer (and turkey, though I don't kill many-yes, I usually get outsmarted by an animal with a brain the size of the tip of my finger!)

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
elder999 said:
Where to begin?

I've been boxing since I was about 8, or at least, learning to box since then-I did do the Golden GLoves and nearly get my head handed to me. I also picked up a little about Indian combat a long the way, and I wrestled for a short time in middle school and high school, but quit because making weight was stupid for someone with my medical history (or anyone at that age, but it was the 70's....). I've been an archer for a long time, though I pretty much use it exclusively to hunt elk and deer (and turkey, though I don't kill many-yes, I usually get outsmarted by an animal with a brain the size of the tip of my finger!)

Sounds a lot like me! Did archery from fourth grade until high school, wrestling in school, and boxing in college where I tried to compete but nearly got my head handed to me as well!

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I practice Jogo de Pau (portuguese stick fighting) only occassionally at the moment, but after the summer will concentrate more on it

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bareknuckle boxing
Wrestling/Sambo
Irish martial arts
Savate
Historical fencing
navaja/bowie/hawk
RMA

Dabble in Garrotte Larense, Jogo Du Pau, fokos and several other arts

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I voted other, as I train Capoeira. I guess it's western, certainly not Asian. Developed in Brazil, but with African roots. Trained heavily for about 6 or 7 years, then was away from it for about 8 years while I pursued other arts, and recently returned to it for more training.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you train in your art/style. And live in the west Its western arts. It may have came from a eastern land but it must adapt to the western culture and use. M/A has became a world art Not region any longer.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a "C" class epee fencer back in the day. I still do keep a hand in it through some coaching. Also I used to do a little boxing.

JeffJ

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I practice Native American Martial Arts (my own blend of Shawnee stuff)
historical fencing
Archery (own WoodlandArchery.com )
Russian Systema through tapes and seminars (no personal teacher)
and some other stuff that I find on the table from time to time.

My main art is Jodoru Jiu-Jitsu from Prof. T.A. Frazer

Thanks,
Jeremy Bays

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I voted other, as I train Capoeira. I guess it's western, certainly not Asian. Developed in Brazil, but with African roots. Trained heavily for about 6 or 7 years, then was away from it for about 8 years while I pursued other arts, and recently returned to it for more training.

OOPS! Big oversight on my part. More probably train in Capoeira than in some of the other arts I mentioned. Good point.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
  • Irish Shillelagh and English Quarterstaff
  • Military Sabre, Cutlass, and Longsword
  • Mendoza style Pugilism (Bare Knuckle Boxing) and Collar and Elbow Wrestling
  • Bowie Knife, Tomahawk, and Spear
Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lklawson said:
Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Interesting mix. You should start a thread on some of them - we'd love to hear more about ones such as "Mendoza" style pugilism and Irish Shillelagh from an actual practitioner!

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
lklawson said:
Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Interesting, tell us more.

Jeff

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm doing Boxing right now outside of my Wing Chun studies.

I plan to do many more years of sparring and maybe even do some amateur stuff.

The conditioning is awesome.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just curious as to why some of these arts mentioned are being considered Western arts when most of them come from Europe, eastern countries?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eastern Europe is still considered the west, especially considering that when most think of martial arts, they think of the far east.

Jeff

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you are in the west Its now western. Any art must adapt and meet the needs of the people. In the Est you are doing it That way. What comes from any country must blend to fit in. That to me is what any M/A in America must do or it will not be yours it will be some one elses.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sticks: Irish Shillelagh & Quarterstaff
Mostly Shillelagh. Ken Pfrenger's "style". Stick held roughly 1/3 - to cover the elbow. The Quarterstaff gets far less play. More dabbling really. Most of our practice is based off of skills taught by Paul Wagner.

Swords:
Mark leads our sword practices. Military Sabre - Mostly this is 18/19th C. English/America Military Sabre. Working from historic texts. I became interested in this as an adjunct to my Bowie practice. Cutlass - again, working from historic texts mostly. Again, this interest was sparked by my Bowie practice. Because of the difference in blade lengths between Military Sabre and "Swords for Sea Service," as well as a difference in the space available to use the weapon, it often gets used in a somewhat different manner; often more "knife like" than Military Sabre. Note: historic texts on Cutlass usually treat it as nothing more than a Military Sabre. Longsword - I can post as a human pell for Mark when he dabbles in Longsword. He'd like to study this more but my interests don't leave much room for it.

Brawling:
Mendoza Style Pugilism - has a strange forward leaning and extended attituted ("stance" in modern parlance). I find it easier to learn and practice than some of the more modern styles such as Dempsey (which is great stuff too!). Most often critiqued for being easily guard-crashed, I find this to be a non-issue since when range was crashed to a clinch, historically, this would be time for classic pugilistic grappling; attempts at a trip, throw, headlock, etc. This is an ideal tie in for Collar and Elbow Wrestling. Additionally, I've personally selected each styles since they were (supposedly) popular with the Irish and so both fit in nicely with my Shillelagh practice.

Bowie & Hawk:
Based around Dwight McLemore's work, the work of various associates of his such as Steve Huff, and Military Sabre style. 'Hawk tends to be an inellegant weapon, not suited for "fencing" at all. Once it gets moving, it's moving. You guide it, not control it.

Spear:
Isolationistic study of Fiore's Spear work. I find his guards to be very effective defensively at the ranges appropriate for a spear of this size.

Additionally, I personally do some work in Bartitsu, Vigny/Lang la canne, and Judo (which meshes well with Bartitsu).

Not sure if this illuminates my study any but there it is, nonetheless. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions