The Proper Use of Wealth

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion, we should all strive to leave this world a better place than when we entered it. Its not my job to judge what is acceptable or not in donation of time or money. I don't spend any of my time looking to see what others are doing. I concern myself with what I can do. However, don't tell me Gordon Gecko's "Greed is good!" mentality is okay either. If you are a greedy, selfish, person, who does nothing for society, you are as bad, if not worse, than those who want to redistribute everyone's wealth.

There are so many who are a part of society that believe it is okay to give nothing back. They take goods and services, both from the government and private sources that has been made possible by the society those people live in. Then when it comes time to give back to society thier answer is, "Its mine, you can't have it!" It just seems childish to me. Sure, no one should have to give away more than thier fair share, but those that think thier fair share is nothing, like many corporations in America, are nothing better than thieves.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's a challenge. Name one corporation that does not give back in some way to the society. Tax rates are not allowed in this excercise because even if their effective rate is like the President's big buddies G.E. and equals 0, they are still creating jobs, and paying gas taxes and taxes on the goods and services they purchase for their use. I am talking about corporations that do no charitable works, or help people even as a matter of good P.R. McDonalds's for example, Ronald McDonald house, most pharmacuetical companies have compassionate use policies for people who can't afford their drugs. The myth of the evil corporations who do nothing charitable should be looked at. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Ben and Jerry, Donald Trump, they all run foundations or do charity work. So I ask, where is the company or corporation that doesn't do one charitable thing? Can you name any?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here McDonalds raises money from it's customers to donate to charities. Has collections on the counters.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here McDonalds raises money from it's customers to donate to charities. Has collections on the counters.

Yes, for Ronald McDonald houses. A little bit of pocket change can add up in a hurry!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, here's a challenge. Name one corporation that does not give back in some way to the society. Tax rates are not allowed in this excercise because even if their effective rate is like the President's big buddies G.E. and equals 0, they are still creating jobs, and paying gas taxes and taxes on the goods and services they purchase for their use. I am talking about corporations that do no charitable works, or help people even as a matter of good P.R. McDonalds's for example, Ronald McDonald house, most pharmacuetical companies have compassionate use policies for people who can't afford their drugs. The myth of the evil corporations who do nothing charitable should be looked at. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Ben and Jerry, Donald Trump, they all run foundations or do charity work. So I ask, where is the company or corporation that doesn't do one charitable thing? Can you name any?

Corporations are not philantropic.
Phama companies who make it possible for poor people to use their medication that's not charity.

As mentioned above, charitable donations have a reward other than the warm fuzzies. Again, it's for tax purposes.
Or for public perception.
A persona who isn't a real person...I don't think that really counts in this context.

A challenge for you: What did you do to give.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Corporations are not philantropic.
Phama companies who make it possible for poor people to use their medication that's not charity.
Well it be stupid for them to buy you other peoples product. Point is they dont have to do it at all but they do.

As mentioned above, charitable donations have a reward other than the warm fuzzies. Again, it's for tax purposes.
Or for public perception.
A persona who isn't a real person...I don't think that really counts in this context.
I claim my donations on my taxes so are you saying my money is less useful? Again who cares why they do it just be glad they do.

A challenge for you: What did you do to give.
Wounded Warrior Foundation, St Judes Hospital, and my Church.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My own giving, at my church, feed the children and other charitable giving, off the book type charitable actions where people need help but have no organized support.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Adam Corolla once again speaks to the issue of being rich, and how it used to be seen as a good thing...

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/289290/can-it-nancy-brian-bolduc?pg=1

He hates the fact that the rich have to pretend they’re not wealthy. “We’ve turned our world into some kind of prison yard, and if somebody finds out you’ve got a couple of cartons of cigarettes stuffed down your pants, you’re going to get torn apart [on] the handball courts.”
Given the contributions rich families such as the Carnegies and the Rockefellers have made to the arts, Carolla finds it “weird” to equate rich with evil. If the rich are evil, “why are you sitting in their library? Why are you sitting in their hall? Why did I just listen to a whole show on orangutans with no commercials that they paid for?”
When asked about the hullaballoo over Mitt Romney’s tax returns, Carolla adds, “I don’t know who is sending mosquito nets over trying to cure malaria in Africa, but last time I checked it was Bill Gates. Is Bill Gates evil? Are all rich guys evil or just guys with nice hair?”

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I`ve been giving this alot of thought lately because so many people in the news seem to be interested in the different presidential candidates` taxes and charitable donations. I assume that it`s the same for the big business types whom we might not know by name. Once you reach a level of wealth that most people can`t imagine, what should you do? When you`ve made more money than you`ll ever need.....what do you do with your time? Do you continue working at something you love or retire? What are the best ways to give back to the community that made it possible for you to succeed? Do you spend all your time in charitable works? Do you try to go into politics and make lasting changes? What kind of charity is the most effective: giving money to those in immediate need (paying for food , heat, clothes, and other bills), or use your fortune to help others help themselves ( Job training, scholarships,daycare,libraries,etc)? Should everything be unconditional pure charity, or should it have strings attached to help the good go farther (like medical scholarships that require the doctor to spend their first few years working among underpriveliged communities)? So many questions.

It almost makes me glad to be poor. My choices are more limited and are always on a much smaller scale. I give money to my church and a couple community charities to help the poor. I donate my time and talents when I can, baking cookies for the preschool across the street, helping with the school`s track team, shoveling snow for those who aren`t as able to get around. But I think just chatting with someone who`s lonely, sharing a joke and asking how they`re getting along can make a big difference too. Tez hit the nail on the head, big or small our charity should be thoughtful. And it helps us as much as those who are recieving it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well it be stupid for them to buy you other peoples product. Point is they dont have to do it at all but they do.

The point is that they keep prices artificially high. Giving a few pills away to people who are poor is not going to afect the bottom line beyond that they can probably write it off. Making the product cheaper (and it can be done, other countries have the same stuff from the same company for a lot less, so most, if not all arguments are BS that reason for the higher price)

I claim my donations on my taxes so are you saying my money is less useful? Again who cares why they do it just be glad they do.
Say what?
You lost me.
I am sure you got something wrong here. But sadly I am not seeing where you went off course.

you are not a business, or a corporation. You pick your causes different than a corporation would.
For a different return.

Wounded Warrior Foundation, St Judes Hospital, and my Church.

I remembered you support St Judes, from a while back.

However, the challenge was for billi, the man who looks with suspicion upon rich people who willingly part with much of their money.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The point is that they keep prices artificially high. Giving a few pills away to people who are poor is not going to afect the bottom line beyond that they can probably write it off. Making the product cheaper (and it can be done, other countries have the same stuff from the same company for a lot less, so most, if not all arguments are BS that reason for the higher price)
There are hundreds of reason why prices are what they are and none of it is artificial, but that has nothing to do with the fact that they still give out reduced or even free prescriptions. They dont have to do it so Im glad they do. You just look like the spoiled little kid saying more more more I want more.

Say what?
You lost me.
I am sure you got something wrong here. But sadly I am not seeing where you went off course.

you are not a business, or a corporation. You pick your causes different than a corporation would.
For a different return.
You were saying the only reason corporations donate is for tax reason. Again I say WHO CARES at least they do it. Just because they give for tax reason does that make the money less valuable to the places that get the money? I was saying I claim my deductions on my taxes so that makes my donations less important or helpful? Just because companies are in the business of making money does not make them evil. I dont understand that mentality from some people.

I remembered you support St Judes, from a while back.

However, the challenge was for billi, the man who looks with suspicion upon rich people who willingly part with much of their money.
Does him donating or not makes his opinon any different? Why does it matter what he donates? You look upon companies with the same suspicion is your point more valid because you donate more or less then others?

In the end Im just glad they decided to donate and I dont care the reason.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are the rich 'imprisoned' because they are rich? There's so much conspicious consumption to be seen these days it's as if the celebs with their designer handbags are bashing the rest of us over the head with their wealth. The footballers and their WAGS, the film stars, the reality stars all showing us how much money they have, if only they were imprisioned...literally! The bankers with their obscene bonuses off the back of the taxpayers who bailed their banks out who spend a couple of thousand pound a night on champagne and nightclubs.

The 'rich' aren't only the business people they are also the Charlie Sheens etc of this world. They are the Beckhams, the Jordans, the sports people, and their ilk. None of whom hide their wealth away.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How are the rich 'imprisoned' because they are rich? There's so much conspicious consumption to be seen these days it's as if the celebs with their designer handbags are bashing the rest of us over the head with their wealth. The footballers and their WAGS, the film stars, the reality stars all showing us how much money they have, if only they were imprisioned...literally! The bankers with their obscene bonuses off the back of the taxpayers who bailed their banks out who spend a couple of thousand pound a night on champagne and nightclubs.

The 'rich' aren't only the business people they are also the Charlie Sheens etc of this world. They are the Beckhams, the Jordans, the sports people, and their ilk. None of whom hide their wealth away.

And?

Why do you care what the rich do? Its their money they can spend it as they see fit. Just think of every hand bag and bottle of champagne that is purchased is someone that gets to have another paycheck that week.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And?

Why do you care what the rich do? Its their money they can spend it as they see fit. Just think of every hand bag and bottle of champagne that is purchased is someone that gets to have another paycheck that week.

I care very much what the bankers do with their money...such as the Royal Bank of Scotland ones who were bailed out by taxpayers money and were given big bonuses, supposedly a reward for being successful but in reality they were a huge disaster, those bonuses came from the tax payer so yes I care very much what those rich do with their money, wouldn't you? that's my money they are spending!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/feb/24/rbs-bankers-bonuses-despite-loss

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2011/08/14/we-want-our-money-back-from-rbs/
http://www.goldmadesimplenews.com/g...ds-would-be-up-52-2bn-if-it-bought-gold-4967/

It's not that I care about the rest but Bili was trying to say we should feel sorry for them because they had to hide, I was pointing out that most don't actually hide as seen by the handbags, etc etc. they are out there.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok got it. I guess I missed where he said that I didn't understand what you were talking about and why you were just talking about rich spending money.
I care very much what the bankers do with their money...such as the Royal Bank of Scotland ones who were bailed out by taxpayers money and were given big bonuses, supposedly a reward for being successful but in reality they were a huge disaster, those bonuses came from the tax payer so yes I care very much what those rich do with their money, wouldn't you? that's my money they are spending!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/feb/24/rbs-bankers-bonuses-despite-loss

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2011/08/14/we-want-our-money-back-from-rbs/
http://www.goldmadesimplenews.com/g...ds-would-be-up-52-2bn-if-it-bought-gold-4967/

It's not that I care about the rest but Bili was trying to say we should feel sorry for them because they had to hide, I was pointing out that most don't actually hide as seen by the handbags, etc etc. they are out there.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok got it. I guess I missed where he said that I didn't understand what you were talking about and why you were just talking about rich spending money.

I find it easy to overlook his posts too :) I should have replied with the quote, would have answered it better.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:) I should have replied with the quote, would have answered it better.

Naa I just need better reading skills lol. I just didnt get where all that came from I though you flipped you rocker and were arguing with imaginary posts.

Latest Discussions