The price for a private lesson?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- For some people, they go to workshop to learn.
- For others, they go to workshop to obtain information.

Since I have recorded all my workshop on video, My workshop students all get a copy of that video for further study. At least they will have enough information to work on for the next 2 years.
My experience is different. For most students, video doesn’t help them progress nearly as much as direct instruction. A video running quickly through 45 techniques would have less value than a similar-length video that covers 15 techniques. Same without the video.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you applied a student loan for $100,000 to finish your college degree. You then work for free. Who is going to pay back your student loan?
I didn't and wouldn't take out a loan like that for my education. If I can't get the knowledge because of money then I would find a different way to get it. Some colleges allow employees to take free classes. I would start there. I would also find a student who could help provide some of that knowledge. This way I'm not starting from zero. I would also befriend teachers and college administrators because the may have an answer to my money issues.

When a person has a rule passion and is willing to work hard for that passion, then that person will attract others who want to help because they believe it's a good thing and they want to see that person reach their goals. Money helps feed the stomach, helps provide shelter, and helps to treat illness; but it's not everything. There are still nice people who care about the well being of others. Mant of which would tell you not to take out a $100,000 loan. There's just too many options for that to be the first or only choice.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Old Chinese saying said, "穷文富武 - scholar is for the poor. MA is for the rich".

When you train MA, you have to

- eat well.
- have free time to train.
- have money to pay your tuition.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you applied a student loan for $100,000 to finish your college degree. You then work for free. Who is going to pay back your student loan?
I never went into debt for any of my degrees. I ate Ramen noodles, because you could eat for a month on $2.30, and I walked everywhere because I couldn't afford gas.
Not everything in life needs to be about profit.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never went into debt for any of my degrees. I ate Ramen noodles, because you could eat for a month on $2.30, and I walked everywhere because I couldn't afford gas.
Not everything in life needs to be about profit.
The paradox of ramen soups is that the ones you pay for in a package are actually more expensive and unhealthy than the ones you can make at home on your own.

Noodles, fish broth. So basic, they make this stuff from scratch in the field.

Add a Naruto fish cake, that's when it starts getting expensive.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

- eat well.
That's what it feels like sometimes.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I ate Ramen noodles, because you could eat for a month on $2.30,
The concern is if you only eat Ramen noodles, you won't be able to build muscle. How far can you go in MA without muscle?

I used to eat meat when I competed in tournaments. I became vegetarian after I no longer competed. I do know the difference.

Eating meat cost money.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score

- eat well.

Excerpt from "MMA fighter Conor McGregor went from welfare to millionaire:"

In 2008, a 19-year-old McGregor made his fighting debut in Dublin, winning his first two matches and making a name for himself as a top fighter in Ireland over the next five years. He only lost two out of 14 MMA matches during that five-year period.

But money was still tight without a day job, and McGregor didn’t land a contract with UFC, the organization that offers the highest level of competition for a mixed martial arts fighter, until 2013. In fact, McGregor was famously reliant on welfare money from the Irish government for several years while he continued fighting in lower-level MMA matches.

“When things were going bad, when I had no job, I was on welfare; I went into a different mode,” McGregor says. “Just like a kid, I used my imagination visualizing good things in these times of struggle.”

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last edited:

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If Conor McGregor was so poor that he could only afford to eat Ramen noodles every day, do you think he could reach to what he has today?
Rich people don't have to fight out of necessity. Many combat sports champions started from poverty. Pacquiao is another example.

Excerpt from "Manny Pacquiao: A True Rags To Riches Story:"

To earn money Manny would buy doughnuts from a local shop and sell them on at a profit of one nickel. His only shelter was a cardboard box, who could imagine that 22 years later the same man would be battling it out for a world record payday.

Pacquiao would board a ship to Manilla in an attempt to start a boxing career. He saw this as a way out of the squallier, doughnut sales only barely made enough revenue to survive, Boxing however offered some hope. Then in January 1995 at just 16 years old Manny would have his first professional bout, a bout that would be the start of something uniquely special.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score

- eat well.
There is a theory which suggests the more affluent classes took up martial arts in order to learn to protect themselves and their riches. If you read the history of the martial arts and self-defense movements across the world it will open your eyes to new ways of seeing the whole subject.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have been contacted by a fellow who does not live in my area but used to, and had trained with a Sifu in my style for a brief period some years ago. His Sifu has passed away and he wishes to continue with his training. He still has personal contacts in the area and is proposing that he come and train with me when he travels back here, and is asking for private sessions. I have no idea what a reasonable price would be for that, my overhead is minimal, I hold class in the park and pay a small fee to the city park and recreation department for each class that I hold. I also realize that the regional cost of living will have an impact on what is perceived as reasonable.

I am dis-inclined to put the squeeze on anyone, but he is adamant about wanting to pay me for my time.

So, I am interested I hearing the full range of what people charge or have seen charged, where people have actually happily paid the fee. Please give me the low-down. Thanks!
about $20 an hour for me unless I have to travel or something.

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have been contacted by a fellow who does not live in my area but used to, and had trained with a Sifu in my style for a brief period some years ago. His Sifu has passed away and he wishes to continue with his training. He still has personal contacts in the area and is proposing that he come and train with me when he travels back here, and is asking for private sessions. I have no idea what a reasonable price would be for that, my overhead is minimal, I hold class in the park and pay a small fee to the city park and recreation department for each class that I hold. I also realize that the regional cost of living will have an impact on what is perceived as reasonable.

I am dis-inclined to put the squeeze on anyone, but he is adamant about wanting to pay me for my time.

So, I am interested I hearing the full range of what people charge or have seen charged, where people have actually happily paid the fee. Please give me the low-down. Thanks!

It's always difficult attempting to associate a monetary value with something as deeply spiritual as martial arts. As such, you're likely going to get a large variety of responses (I haven't read any of the other posts in this thread yet). There is no one single answer, but there are certainly factors you yourself must consider:

1. Consider the amount of time and effort you have invested into your martial arts training. If you pay an engineer $1000 for a 5-minute job, you aren't paying for 5 minutes of work, you're paying for all the experience he had to accumulate to do the job in just 5 minutes.

2. You already mentioned you don't have any overhead costs since you teach in a public space, however, you should consider any costs associated with you going to and teaching at the park. Are you paying for public transportation? Gas? Do you end up spending a bit on breakfast/lunch when you're out there? Are there other chores in the day you would be missing out on in scheduling a private lesson? It's not always about overhead cost but also about what else you're sacrificing to make that time work, and then make it worth it, so you're not losing money at the end of the day.

3. Consider that it's okay to make a few bucks as a martial arts teacher. I don't believe in ripping students off, but I do believe that if our lessons can put money in our pockets, then that equates to better equipment/lessons/material/etc. for our students.

4. And last but not least, try to research your local market value. Again, hard to compare costs when it comes to people of different experience levels and styles, but still helps to understand what your local instructors are also charging.

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
I learned a while back that people just don't value "free" very much. Like I said above -- people need to pay something. It doesn't have to be money -- it can be an exchange of services, or some other barter -- but I've just had my time abused too much when I gave personal training or "work out with me" rather than have some sort of cost.

After having my time taken for granted and taken advantage of too many times... I set the time, and if they're late... there's a window that they're out of luck if they miss it. Usually about 15 minutes...

I wholeheartedly agree with this and forgot to mention this in my response as well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In what years did all this occur?
Irrelevant. I got a 2 year degree at an inexpensive community college, worked at that to pay for my BS at a more expensive university, worked at that to pay for graduate school. I walked everywhere, I ate the cheapest crap I could find, I worked multiple jobs, and I didn't party. To this day, I cannot eat Ramen; it tastes like poverty.

Yes, education debt is a problem. But at the same time, I've seen too many students working as (for example) a scribe in our ED who use student loans to pay for things like summers "studying" in Europe. Where they take one trash class and do a lot of tourist stuff. They eat out frequently, have the newest smartphones, and drive really nice cars. All paid for with student loans.

You can take on a mountain of debt, or you can make sacrifices and have little or no debt. Many of the people who complain about their student debt have also buried themselves in other debt. Because they just HAVE to have that new phone, or car, or a bigger house... they never learned the importance of delayed gratification.

I retired at 61. At that point, I'd been undergoing cancer treatment for 12 years, and just couldn't keep up the pace in the ED any more. We could afford to do so because we had long made it a point not to waste money on interest. Debt? We have a mortgage. We have two Jeeps and a Corvette, all heavily modified, and all paid off. Credit cards? We have them, mostly for the benefit to credit scores. But we never carry a balance. Never. Other than the mortgage we owe nothing to anybody.

Before you tell me that it is no longer possible to do this, I will just say that all ten of our kids went to college. One has an engineering PhD. Another an MS in Math. Another a Masters in Public Health. One is working on her MS in Education. Three of them got two year degrees and two of those are using those degrees (Radiology) to pursue a BS; one in CT and one in MRI. None of them took on a pile of debt.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Irrelevant. I got a 2 year degree at an inexpensive community college, worked at that to pay for my BS at a more expensive university, worked at that to pay for graduate school. I walked everywhere, I ate the cheapest crap I could find, I worked multiple jobs, and I didn't party. To this day, I cannot eat Ramen; it tastes like poverty.
I know a couple people who did that around my age. I'm 29 now, and they're all either finally finishing their bachelors degree now or just finished a year or two ago. The only delay was being able to afford it as they were going, and for at least 3 I can guarantee that they did whatever they could to save money.

As a side note, I was curious about how the prices relate. If you're 61/62 now, I'm assuming that one of the years you were in college was 1981. Quick google search shows that for 1981-1982, the average cost of public college was $909. Put into an inflation calendar, that comes out to $3,051.09. Per the same site, the cost is $9,349 per year. So, after inflation, a little over 3 times the price - which would mean, ignoring other factors, 3 times the time working to pay for each year.

There's a lot being ignored, but it'd be tough to determine every factor and what brings the price up/down. Big ones would be rent/food/gas prices, but those should theoretically be included in inflation so I'm not going to do the math for each of those.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know a couple people who did that around my age. I'm 29 now, and they're all either finally finishing their bachelors degree now or just finished a year or two ago. The only delay was being able to afford it as they were going, and for at least 3 I can guarantee that they did whatever they could to save money.
We have kids in their 30's and 40's who are still in school. Again, delayed gratification.
As a side note, I was curious about how the prices relate. If you're 61/62 now, I'm assuming that one of the years you were in college was 1981. Quick google search shows that for 1981-1982, the average cost of public college was $909. Put into an inflation calendar, that comes out to $3,051.09. Per the same site, the cost is $9,349 per year. So, after inflation, a little over 3 times the price - which would mean, ignoring other factors, 3 times the time working to pay for each year.
I think that's incorrect. The education costs went up. But so did the salaries. The two probably will never be in perfect synchrony, but "3 times working to pay for each year" is patently false.

Some of our kids did take out student loans. They did not use them to pay for cars and European vacations. They have had no difficulty paying them back. Early. Because interest payments are wasted money.
There's a lot being ignored, but it'd be tough to determine every factor and what brings the price up/down. Big ones would be rent/food/gas prices, but those should theoretically be included in inflation so I'm not going to do the math for each of those.
I saved a bundle on rent/food/gas.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have kids in their 30's and 40's who are still in school. Again, delayed gratification.
Yes. It's just a matter of how much it's worth delaying that, when presumably school is being done to advance in your career. There are two very different endpoints if you start your intended career in your early 20s vs. 40s.
I think that's incorrect. The education costs went up. But so did the salaries. The two probably will never be in perfect synchrony, but "3 times working to pay for each year" is patently false.
My assumption was that that got caught in inflation. I'm going to see what info I can find and do the math on that later though, to see how salary changes compare to that change in tuition price. But that's going to take some research and thought on the best way to determine that before I look at any numbers (to avoid them being swayed by bias), so I'll do that after work.
Some of our kids did take out student loans. They did not use them to pay for cars and European vacations. They have had no difficulty paying them back. Early. Because interest payments are wasted money.
I agree with all of that. That's not the purpose of the student loans. I don't know that people did that. I actually saved the money for mine to the side and stayed at home for the most part/budgeted it in, and finally finished paying mine off this week.

Latest Discussions