The new Creative Poomsae Division at 2011 World Championship

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
There will be a new Creative Poomsae division at beginning at 2011 World Poomsae Championship.

I do not know how detail the break down will be, but it will not be the same division like what we have for the traditional Sport Poomsae.

I also learned that you can use music with your routine.

Example:

rules: http://www.taekwondo-spirit.com/general/poomsae_rules.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Might as well just go to the ISKA and do your creatve poomsae and enjoy Disney World while you are there. TKD needs to stay pure and I know people enjoy this music and watching all these flips and summersalts and stuff but I like tradition. I do not even like the sport aspect of poomsae.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doing forms to music? Now Ive heard it all, my GM would have a heart attack if he heard about this. Although palgwe 8 would go well done with the bee gees 'staying alive', but seriously though, this has to be a joke.

Steven Craig

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
music? really?
Are there clubs that do form to music or is it only for comp? It does sound a little odd. What about for self defence routines? Now that would be different...it would be hard for it not to end up comical.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
music? really?
Are there clubs that do form to music or is it only for comp? It does sound a little odd. What about for self defence routines? Now that would be different...it would be hard for it not to end up comical.
I think I'll do my next self defence routine at grading to the "benny hill" theme. Actually for even pondering that I could probably be kicked out of my club.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched katas done to music a while back at a big martial arts expo here. It was athletic, clever and looked very good but was it martial arts? I'd say no, I've seen similiar demos from the gymnastic cheerleading squads and there's not a lot to tell the difference there other than the clothing!

Of course we could have another thread ...what kata/form/pattern etc would you do to what music? Heavy metal? classical? oriental? It could be the syncronised swimming event of martial arts, with those lovely inane smiles they have!

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you can still hear the music in your head while using taekwondo to defend yourself on the street, and be effective, you have have my respect. That's a special kind of no-mind.

Sometimes we play loud music when we're sparring to simulate the distractions of tournaments, but my job is to ignore the music and pound my opponent...not groove to the beat.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Stay pure? Have you watched the international poomsae competition? They are a bunch of robots with what we used to call bad stances that are now "traditional" stances.

Might as well just go to the ISKA and do your creatve poomsae and enjoy Disney World while you are there. TKD needs to stay pure and I know people enjoy this music and watching all these flips and summersalts and stuff but I like tradition. I do not even like the sport aspect of poomsae.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stay pure? Have you watched the international poomsae competition? They are a bunch of robots with what we used to call bad stances that are now "traditional" stances.

I do not consider that staying pure, what I mean is the way my teacher and his teacher tought it years ago, with power, correct stances not this I am competing with Dancing with the Star syndrome.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree with that... however there are some instances were people get so stuck on the "traditional" way to do things that they forget the evolution of the art is important as well.

I do not consider that staying pure, what I mean is the way my teacher and his teacher tought it years ago, with power, correct stances not this I am competing with Dancing with the Star syndrome.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with that... however there are some instances were people get so stuck on the "traditional" way to do things that they forget the evolution of the art is important as well.

Evolution is great and I believe in that but creative poomsae go to Disney World and compete in the iSKA, also all that music where is that a place for any poomsae?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would have agreed with you some time ago. I used to believe that evolution was important to the art. Now though, I look at what tkd has become and then look back at what it used to be and for the life of me I cant find a positive thing to say about the evolution of tkd. I hear about doing forms to music, sparring with hands down, clubs that train little to no hand techs, the emphasis placed on high flashy kicks etc and I can only shake my head.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok.... Aerobic TKD is nothing but silly (for lack of a couple other words I would like to use). But patterns to music if done correctly can be something to see. The Gallegers (sp?) from Colorado used to do a choreographed free form that was out of this world (Brian is now on the USTU National Team). If you seen it you would appreciate how putting it all together can be a fantastic addition to the art. That said I must also say that 90% of what they did 90% of us will ever be able to do (360 roundhouse landing in the full splits dosnt even temp me to try it at all!)
Lets face it though if we were to train only on things that had "real" street value we would be doing no kicks above the waist and throwing out many of the kicks we "traditionally" did and still do. Flashy kicks are nothing new it just seems they are taking everything to new levels. When I first started 360 kicks were it... now 540s and better are being done. Practical? No but they sure are fun to watch being done, hell if I was 20 again I would be trying them. Dosnt make them bad but 99% of the people in a gym will never do them or be able to do them.

I would have agreed with you some time ago. I used to believe that evolution was important to the art. Now though, I look at what tkd has become and then look back at what it used to be and for the life of me I cant find a positive thing to say about the evolution of tkd. I hear about doing forms to music, sparring with hands down, clubs that train little to no hand techs, the emphasis placed on high flashy kicks etc and I can only shake my head.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok.... Aerobic TKD is nothing but silly (for lack of a couple other words I would like to use). But patterns to music if done correctly can be something to see. The Gallegers (sp?) from Colorado used to do a choreographed free form that was out of this world (Brian is now on the USTU National Team). If you seen it you would appreciate how putting it all together can be a fantastic addition to the art. That said I must also say that 90% of what they did 90% of us will ever be able to do (360 roundhouse landing in the full splits dosnt even temp me to try it at all!)
Lets face it though if we were to train only on things that had "real" street value we would be doing no kicks above the waist and throwing out many of the kicks we "traditionally" did and still do. Flashy kicks are nothing new it just seems they are taking everything to new levels. When I first started 360 kicks were it... now 540s and better are being done. Practical? No but they sure are fun to watch being done, hell if I was 20 again I would be trying them. Dosnt make them bad but 99% of the people in a gym will never do them or be able to do them.
If everything we did was street effective I dont really believe all kicks above the waist would have to go. Many a fight has ended with a sidekick to the ribs and Ive seen head kicks land in the ufc and if a full time pro fighter in the prime of his life can get kicked in the head then some drunk on the street is no chance. Head kicks are not effective UNLESS the guy throwing the head kick is good. Head kicks get a bad name largely because guys with 6 months training under their belt go out and get in a fight and try to roundhouse the other guy in the head. Sorry to deviate from topic but I do believe that 90% of what is taught in tkd is street effective if taught properly and doing forms to music and landing 360 kicks in the splits is not teaching street effective tkd, and whilst it may look great, in my opinion it is not martial arts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If everything we did was street effective I dont really believe all kicks above the waist would have to go. Many a fight has ended with a sidekick to the ribs and Ive seen head kicks land in the ufc and if a full time pro fighter in the prime of his life can get kicked in the head then some drunk on the street is no chance. Head kicks are not effective UNLESS the guy throwing the head kick is good. Head kicks get a bad name largely because guys with 6 months training under their belt go out and get in a fight and try to roundhouse the other guy in the head. Sorry to deviate from topic but I do believe that 90% of what is taught in tkd is street effective if taught properly and doing forms to music and landing 360 kicks in the splits is not teaching street effective tkd, and whilst it may look great, in my opinion it is not martial arts.

Mark Weir in UFC38 used a kick to help KO Eugene Jackson in 0.10 1st round. Mark was TKD world champion in 1988 and 1991.

thought you'd like this demo of how it was done, shows how useful kicks are.

http://www.mmauniverse.com/techniques/SS10

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This cannot be true. I can hear my Grandmaster beating his head on a wall all the way from Halifax.

This flashy sport BS is not good for us.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A kick to the head in a street situation has many problems that would you would not have in a ring. #1 would be that you may or may not be fighting a single opponent. Kicking to the head is a risk. In a ring you can allow yourself a calculated risk since if you loose you are not going to loose your life. In the street it is another matter all together.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd certainly call a kick to the head a reasonable risk.

If any of us connect with roundhouse to the head that's even half as good as our standard in sparring, Joe Everyman is not getting back up. The same probably goes for a kick to the ribs, actually.

Latest Discussions