The journey maybe be over

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The journey isn't over, you're just changing direction, and exploring alternate routes. It's good to do that once in awhile, it keeps you from getting in a rut.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The journey isn't over, you're just changing direction, and exploring alternate routes. It's good to do that once in awhile, it keeps you from getting in a rut.

This is true, I have been told that my way is old school and the school needs change to be more of a way to make a living. My wife would like it to be making arleast her salary so she can retire after this year, so I will do what is best. My instructors keep seeing schools with 150-250 people and they want us to be the same. So my whole approach is being made over. I guess people would like to have money and the only way to get it is with change.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is true, I have been told that my way is old school and the school needs change to be more of a way to make a living. My wife would like it to be making arleast her salary so she can retire after this year, so I will do what is best. My instructors keep seeing schools with 150-250 people and they want us to be the same. So my whole approach is being made over. I guess people would like to have money and the only way to get it is with change.

I'd still teach a couple of the "old school classes" for those that want them, even if it's only 5 people. You'll get quality instead of quantity in your classes, and quantity in the other classes, without too much skimping on quality. All in all it sounds like a good compromise to me.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd still teach a couple of the "old school classes" for those that want them, even if it's only 5 people. You'll get quality instead of quantity in your classes, and quantity in the other classes, without too much skimping on quality. All in all it sounds like a good compromise to me.

Thanks that is the plan here. They just see that I have 7600 square feet of workout space but only have about fifty students. They believe with an aftercare program and a tiny Dragons program we will be more succesful money wise. I am open to trying it and seeing if we can make it work this way. At anyrate I still have those that want to be with me and my fight team so I will be just fine, the rest of the time I sit there and look important I guess.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If you have a lot of folks depending on your business success, being bigger is better. There is nothing wrong with having the less dedicated students pay to keep the doors open for the more involved ones.

And as your situation changes, maybe a couple of the not so into it students change their minds as well. (and again, it's a matter of how you sell it) And being around and looking important is also not a bad thing. There is a lot to be gained from the small talk with the waiting family, too.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have a lot of folks depending on your business success, being bigger is better. There is nothing wrong with having the less dedicated students pay to keep the doors open for the more involved ones.

And as your situation changes, maybe a couple of the not so into it students change their minds as well. (and again, it's a matter of how you sell it) And being around and looking important is also not a bad thing. There is a lot to be gained from the small talk with the waiting family, too.

Thanks I appreciate your input

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks that is the plan here. They just see that I have 7600 square feet of workout space but only have about fifty students. They believe with an aftercare program and a tiny Dragons program we will be more succesful money wise. I am open to trying it and seeing if we can make it work this way. At anyrate I still have those that want to be with me and my fight team so I will be just fine, the rest of the time I sit there and look important I guess.
One comment regarding after care and similar programs...

If you're going to do them -- do it right. Go to the trouble, even if not required by law, to meet the day care requirements for your area. I'm sure you trust and know your staff... but vet them anyway, just like you'd like the staff of a place you'd leave your kids to be vetted. And if you do things like field trips... remember, you gotta bring back as many as you take. (True story... one where I work didn't. And didn't realize it till we contacted the parents... who didn't have a clue that the program was taking kids on field trips. Yeah... not good.)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow! This is what I miss when I don't check in everyday!

Terry-you've received a lot of advice so I won't really add to it other than to say that you've earned the right to rest, to sit back and watch how the dojang can proceed without you. But don't leave it altogether-let your wife and BBs have a chance to grow, you will ALWAYS be their instructor so you should just stay in the background.

No matter what you decide, you know we are behind you!

Take Care my friend!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One comment regarding after care and similar programs...

If you're going to do them -- do it right. Go to the trouble, even if not required by law, to meet the day care requirements for your area. I'm sure you trust and know your staff... but vet them anyway, just like you'd like the staff of a place you'd leave your kids to be vetted. And if you do things like field trips... remember, you gotta bring back as many as you take. (True story... one where I work didn't. And didn't realize it till we contacted the parents... who didn't have a clue that the program was taking kids on field trips. Yeah... not good.)

Well since me and my wife are both certify teachers and we run a check for all BB before they teach at the school, following the state requirements will be done. We are also already certify daycare providers because we own hald of her fathers Daycare.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! This is what I miss when I don't check in everyday!

Terry-you've received a lot of advice so I won't really add to it other than to say that you've earned the right to rest, to sit back and watch how the dojang can proceed without you. But don't leave it altogether-let your wife and BBs have a chance to grow, you will ALWAYS be their instructor so you should just stay in the background.

No matter what you decide, you know we are behind you!

Take Care my friend!

Thanks Peter and you are right all my BB are certifired by me so they are capable of running the school. It will be the daily hands on that I will miss the most. But this will give me more time to devote on my bbok and seminars that I really would love to do.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks that is the plan here. They just see that I have 7600 square feet of workout space but only have about fifty students. They believe with an aftercare program and a tiny Dragons program we will be more succesful money wise.

This makes excellent financial sense.

Those kids will study martial arts somewhere. Even if it doesn't seem quite right to you, is there anywhere in town they'd be better placed than with you and yours?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This makes excellent financial sense.

Those kids will study martial arts somewhere. Even if it doesn't seem quite right to you, is there anywhere in town they'd be better placed than with you and yours?

You are absolutely right so we are moving for that after the first off the year.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd hate to think that a person that has put in over 40 years into something that he loves as much as you obviously do, suddenly thinks that he needs to give up on a life long mission.

Personally from my stand point I like kick *** classes but not every time I show up. I would love to dive deeper into technique and perfecting the very small things, but too many classes like this is daunting as well.

I think that I would watch an example of each type of class that is held, with fresh eyes if possible. Is the demonstration of technique different, is the same lesson being taught but with different verbiage, or are the classes obviously easier. Can you compare your hard core students and those of the same level that take other class and see major differences in the level of proficiency?

Remember people come to Martial Art's Schools for very different reasons. Some will want to take as you said the easy way and some want something different. Are you O.K. with the fact that both of these canexist at the the same time in your school?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd hate to think that a person that has put in over 40 years into something that he loves as much as you obviously do, suddenly thinks that he needs to give up on a life long mission.

Personally from my stand point I like kick *** classes but not every time I show up. I would love to dive deeper into technique and perfecting the very small things, but too many classes like this is daunting as well.

I think that I would watch an example of each type of class that is held, with fresh eyes if possible. Is the demonstration of technique different, is the same lesson being taught but with different verbiage, or are the classes obviously easier. Can you compare your hard core students and those of the same level that take other class and see major differences in the level of proficiency?

Remember people come to Martial Art's Schools for very different reasons. Some will want to take as you said the easy way and some want something different. Are you O.K. with the fact that both of these canexist at the the same time in your school?

Will I be OK, since I have never really tried the answer is I do not know. I am willing to see if it can co-exsist alot of scholl do it, there will be seperate classes for each group and the testing will need to be diferent. Maybe the answer will come after a few months when the adventure will begin. All I can say is wish me luck and I am moving forward.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And every so often, they should attend the 'regular class' so that the regular students can see what they've been missing.

Keep the faith, never give up, never surrender!

Daniel

Great, brilliant suggestion, CT!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Terry, maybe you could have your advanced class periodically do demos for the regular classes—show them just what kinds of great resources the school has to offer, if they are willing to seek them out.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
It is late and I haven't read all the comments (I apologize) so this may have already been said. By my instructor feels the same way as you every now and then. What he does is just step back a little bit for awhile. He only teaches the more hard core adult classes and black belt classes and lets other black belts teach the other classes. This allows him to teach the way he wants to teach, while still providing classes to support the masses (he just doesn't teach them). This usually lasts for 6 months or so and then he starts wanting to teach the kids and family classes again so he does.... for awhile.

Maybe that would be a good solution for you? (If no one else hasn't already offered it).
Best of luck, I know it has to be a hard time for you right now.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well starting in January we will be adding the new programs and I will be letting these wonderful people try and re-build the school. I hope I will be able to survive this.
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions