The inspiration thread: The Self-Isolation training of Sosai Mas Oyama

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Overall I’ve been doing a lot of my own training, but i train outside in the yard and that has been very problematic for a few weeks now because the wildfires are giving us some bad air quality. No fires are within about an hour drive so not in immediate danger in that way. But smoke has been bad, we get a couple better days, then air quality drops again as the winds shift and a fire picks up. So that has been disruptive of my training. Not that I have any right to complain, compared to the wildfire problem.
Ah wow... yeah have heard about the fires and it sounds really intense... glad to hear you're not super close, but please stay safe and I hope you guys are all okay. Have seen some photos put up from a friend from over that way and wow the skies are just orange and smoky all the time...

But great to hear you're still training. I've done most of mine indoors, but we've just come up to springtime now so keen to try for outdoor training :)

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it really says something nice about those clubs, no lock in contracts to sign up first, but then again I guess it's online training, but certainly very grateful.

That's awesome you've kept up training. And when you said key to the dojo.... oh man that'd be a dream haha...

Oh wow so you guys train with masks... I haven't done that yet but wonder how to do it... if I have to do that with any dojo I join I will certainly do it for sure, but yeah it would make training tricky. It would be so nice training with people again, I've still loved training with others online haha, but can't wait to get back in the dojo.

We've had a very heavy lockdown of late, but restrictions have been eased alot as of today as our average numbers have been really low. There's a whole 4 step roadmap we're going through for everything opening and it will be dependent on many things, but possible around end of October indoor training may restart.
Many dojos in our area closing down or moving to different areas as it is difficult to find space in schools or indeed community centres to run a contact sport school for the moment. Commercial spaces are opening up because of small business closing down so there will be many places to choose from but that is not a good thing in the global sense (economic perspective). We are certainly lucky that our CI has a good relationship with his landlord and we are all doing what we can to help him keep the school alive and in the black.

I've had a key ever since I started teaching and have been able to get in to work on things albeit on the down low. Our CI knew but only a few of us were permitted to be there on an informal basis.

Yes, adults and teens train with a mask but 12 and under are not required to. We follow all the guidelines prescribed and make sure to limit the instances that covid can be transferred. When the masks get wet from sweat, we need to be more vigilant that people are still in reasonable shape to continue but it has put a dampener on how much we can push our cardio. Just something else to overcome. Still no kumite contact for the time being but we are getting there. We are monitoring the news of covid spikes in our area so we will do what we can with what we have however it has been nice to train with people in the same room again. We've had to change up the material and focus a little to work under the restrictions but we are getting more and more people in each week.

We are also in a 4 or 5 step phase in process to come back from the lockdowns. The last thing anyone wants is for there to be another lockdown where we have to go back to training online. It's ok and better than nothing but I prefer to work off the energy in a live class. That's my preference in any event.

Good luck with your journey and keep me posted.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ah wow... yeah have heard about the fires and it sounds really intense... glad to hear you're not super close, but please stay safe and I hope you guys are all okay. Have seen some photos put up from a friend from over that way and wow the skies are just orange and smoky all the time...

But great to hear you're still training. I've done most of mine indoors, but we've just come up to springtime now so keen to try for outdoor training :)
It's our fault. We haven't been raking our forests enough.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's our fault. We haven't been raking our forests enough.
forest fire are a natural phenomenon, if you dont want nature to do its thing, then get your rake out

if your going to live in a state that 90% forest, then get two rakes

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ive literally no idea what happening in the uk, the govenment has brought out some " simplified rules" that no body understands and so whats allowed and what isnt is totally debatable, with some eye watering fines, if organisations guess wrong.

the govenment has also instructed that citizens should report their neigbours for breaking the rules that no one understands .
the police have requested the govenment issue them with guidance on what the rules actually mean, but as the govenment dorsnt understand them either this hasnt been forecoming.

if i go in to a crowded bat with 5 friends we can sit at a table with 4 or 40 other people as long as we dont converse with them, but if yoy go with 6 friend to the same crowded bar then that upto 3000 pounds in fines for each of us and 10,000 grand for the land lord, how any body is goibg to know if they are my friends or not is not at all clear, how the land lird is goibg to stop peopje talking to each other is even less clear

ive just been sat in a crowded bar discussing this with 5 other people i vaguely know and another 10 ive never seen before, i have no idea if i was breaking the law or not.

team sports are aparently allowed, but no one has defined either team or sport, my chess club has decided its a ream team sport, though in all honesty irs neither, my dojo has decided it isnt and has closed again,

the only thibg that apears clear is that fox hunting and grouse shooting is allowed, im assuming the grouse make up one team and th3 shooters the other,

Last edited:
OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
ive literally no idea what happening in the uk, the govenment has brought out some " simplified rules" that no body understands and so whats allowed and what isnt is totally debatable, with some eye watering fines, if organisations guess wrong.

the govenment has also instructed that citizens should report their neigbours for breaking the rules that no one understands .
the police have requested the govenment issue them with guidance on what the rules actually mean, but as the govenment dorsnt understand them either this hasnt been forecoming.

if i go in to a crowded bat with 5 friends we can sit at a table with 4 or 40 other people as long as we dont converse with them, but if yoy go with 6 friend to the same crowded bar then that upto 3000 pounds in fines for each of us and 10,000 grand for the land lord, how any body is goibg to know if they are my friends or not is not at all clear, how the land lird is goibg to stop peopje talking to each other is even less clear

ive just been sat in a crowded bar discussing this with 5 other people i vaguely know and another 10 ive never seen before, i have no idea if i was breaking the law or not.

team sports are aparently allowed, but no one has defined either team or sport, my chess club has decided its a ream team sport, though in all honesty irs neither, my dojo has decided it isnt and has closed again,

the only thibg that apears clear is that fox hunting and grouse shooting is allowed, im assuming the grouse make up one team and th3 shooters the other,

Yeah I heard the UK has been really hit hard with its second wave... hoping you're all okay and safe.

Yeah I know what you mean mate... those rules that aren't clear create alot of confusion and uncertainty in a time that we need certainty... yeah that sounds tricky..

Even recently our restrictions have been relaxed to where we can have max of 5 people over from one other household. People have seen this and have just been inviting 5 or less people over, but they missed the important part, which is only from ONE household for the entirety of this whole phase. That is, there's only the one household to be nominated through the whole duration of the step who can visit, and no other visitors. Has to be reciprocal.

People are doing the whole "ohhh who's gonna know" thing which is frustrating... third wave here we come...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I heard the UK has been really hit hard with its second wave... hoping you're all okay and safe.

Yeah I know what you mean mate... those rules that aren't clear create alot of confusion and uncertainty in a time that we need certainty... yeah that sounds tricky..

Even recently our restrictions have been relaxed to where we can have max of 5 people over from one other household. People have seen this and have just been inviting 5 or less people over, but they missed the important part, which is only from ONE household for the entirety of this whole phase. That is, there's only the one household to be nominated through the whole duration of the step who can visit, and no other visitors. Has to be reciprocal.

People are doing the whole "ohhh who's gonna know" thing which is frustrating... third wave here we come...
i and quite a lot of other people including some eminent doctors who have broken cover are not at all convinced that the so called second wave is happening or if it is that the measures are proportionate to the risk.

the press that was very much on message in the early months is now holding the govenment up to account and ridicule

more testibg means more posertive results, its inevatable mean while the death rate is decreasing,

but everybody can see that insistibg people go back to work, payibg people to use restraunts, and allowibg crowded pubs and bars , whilst simitaniously saying you can only attend, public or private events in the company of 5 people, unless its a blood sport, then it doesnt matter, makes no sense at all .

one of the measures in hogh covid areas is to shut bars at 10 pm, which then leaves the reasonable question of why its more dangerous at 11 than it was at 9.

even the govenments own mps are jumping on the mockery band waggon

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i and quite a lot of other people including some eminent doctors who have broken cover are not at all convinced that the so called second wave is happening or if it is that the measures are proportionate to the risk.

the press that was very much on message in the early months is now holding the govenment up to account and ridicule

more testibg means more posertive results, its inevatable mean while the death rate is decreasing,

but everybody can see that insistibg people go back to work, payibg people to use restraunts, and allowibg crowded pubs and bars , whilst simitaniously saying you can only attend, public or private events in the company of 5 people, unless its a blood sport, then it doesnt matter, makes no sense at all .

one of the measures in hogh covid areas is to shut bars at 10 pm, which then leaves the reasonable question of why its more dangerous at 11 than it was at 9.

even the govenments own mps are jumping on the mockery band waggon
Seems to be the magic number in our country too. I heard a report on the radio that was quoting something similar ($10K for the landlord and $3K for each person). That is the guideline we have recently been given BUT we are allowed to be open and we are allowed to have members come in appropriate numbers to the space we have. Early on, there were many fines given out but a few months later I read that they were being successfully challenged or people were not required to pay them.

Sadly, we do seem to be stuck between a rock and hard place where the economy needs to start up again but we do not want people to congregate and potentially pass on the virus. Kids are being pushed back to school but the moment they say they have a headache and or stomach ache, they are sent home. How many kids do you think are taking advantage of that piece of knowledge ?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hell, I wish we could simply get past our first wave.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hell, I wish we could simply get past our first wave.
Mayor John Cooper has really came under fire this week for the economic shutdown he imposed on Nashville. One of his main focal areas were bars & taverns. It was exposed this week that there have only been 22 COVID cases (no deaths) related to bars. 22!!! for Pete's sake!!! And on top of that he is trying to pass a 34%-37% tax increase. Brilliant; completely shut down the economy while trying to force a Major tax increase. He is definitely a short timer.
The total numbers in middle TN are estimated to be overstated by a factor of 5-6 times. I suspect that is closer to on par with many areas.
On an up note, there is going to be an Indy car race on the streets of downtown Nashville. Unless he screws that up too.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some adventures... karate adventures in the words of someone I know! Wasn't really sure what I wanted to work on, so just let the environment inspire me hehe... I think just natural movement is what came to mind.

Really got quiet with myself, and tried to feel out the origin of technique... how it comes out from the centre, the limbs just being the vehicle for that projection of energy... and worked on Sanchin kata a bit too.

Being in the water really helps!

Main things I worked on:
-tsuki: worked on punches for ages haha, sooo many intricacies and subtleties to feel into. Used hip wobble but I felt that interesting 'sinking' downwards feeling I wanna explore more... toes were all engaged too and grabbed the ground.

-driving down and forward into oi tsuki.

-worked with those first few moves of Sanchin kata, what they are trying to convey, and added a bit more speed to it, I'd never tried that!

-impromptu combo that came to me, just to help that hip vibration into more whippy technique with the one arm. Exploring snapping out and pull back to the centre (uchi uke, uraken uchi, kizami chudan tsuki). I quite liked that... sending out and returning to your centre...

-Sanchin kata ..... in a cave!!! I love caves... there's something about them that's so otherworldly... as soon as you walk into one a great hush comes over you... the sounds of the wind and the water all fade, and it's like you've stepped into a sacred opening that no one ever knew about...

-Tensho kata in the water. I used to do Tensho every single day for about a year or two every morning, it's definitely a favourite. The quality of how I do it has changed. I like adding a bit more movement through the body to emphasise the circularity and rotation, but also the expansion and contraction. But I mix up what elements I'm trying to emphasise. Sosai Mas Oyama said this was the most important and indispensible of the advanced kata... I feel there's a truth to that, one I still have yet to find...

I rather thought that was fitting for each kata, Sanchin suited being in a cave, just like the fluid Tensho kata makes sense in the water.

Something which I noticed:
Sometimes things will jump out to me that aren't necessarily through karate practice, but that definitely inform it! I noticed that when I walked across the rocks on the beach, the feet naturally wrap themselves around all the indentations of the rock naturally, it doesn't force itself to be flat or strong, nor does it even prepare beforehand! As it contacts the rocks it just folds over and melts into the correct shape needed. I smiled at this... so much we try to force our karate to be a particular way or shape, and push it out with ambition and excess tension in that effort... walking on rocks barefeet reminded me how gentle and effortless things can be, all the while still living the function perfectly without angst.

Screenshot_20210205-092258_Video Player.jpg
Tsuki
Screenshot_20210205-092350_Video Player.jpg
Sanchin kata in a cave
Screenshot_20210205-092525_Video Player.jpg
Tensho kata in the water
Screenshot_20210205-094924_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210205-094929_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210205-094954_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210205-095001_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210205-095007_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210205-094933_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210205-094939_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210205-094945_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210205-094948_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210205-095014_Gallery.jpg
Sanchin kata remnants haha

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, hoping you're all well and safe. Things are pretty under control here but I know it's not the same at all in many parts of the world.

Feel free to post any specific training you've been working on, would love to see. Stay safe and keep training however you can.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also, hoping you're all well and safe. Things are pretty under control here but I know it's not the same at all in many parts of the world.

Feel free to post any specific training you've been working on, would love to see. Stay safe and keep training however you can.
its pretty #### here, the predictions for when restrictions will be eased, let alone removed are becoming more and more vague, whilst simultaneously saying how well the vaccination programme is going

maybe easter, maybe some time in the summer, maybe they will return in the winter if they have been eased at all.

all in all a see no return to anything like normality in the next 12 months, despite us being told that the vacination programme would do just that in short order, it seems not to be the case

im ( along with most of the country) really struggling with it and getting motivated to train for anything when i have no idea if that anything is weeks, months or years away is difficult. the summer lock down resulted in an enourmass numbet of people running cycling and walking just to get out of the house, they are notably absent this time round

just getting out of the chair is getting increasingly difficult, ive been forcing my self out to do a cycle ride everyday, which its self is depresing as ive lost so much fitness since the late summer and the incessant freezing rain doesnt help

im still playing with the idea of doing a three hundred mile tour, but i cant see my fitness or the ease of restictions making this a viable propostion any time soon

ma classes , looks a long way off at the moment and il be poor when if they do resume after a more than 12 months lay off, theres only so much you can do on your own

Last edited:
OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
its pretty #### here, the predictions for when restrictions will be eased, let alone removed are becoming more and more vague, whilst simultaneously saying how well the vaccination programme is going

maybe easter, maybe some time in the summer, maybe they will return in the winter if they have been eased at all.

all in all a see no return to anything like normality in the next 12 months, despite us being told that the vacination programme would do just that in short order, it seems not to be the case

im ( along with most of the country) really struggling with it and getting motivated to train for anything when i have no idea if that anything is weeks, months or years away is difficult. the summer lock down resulted in an enourmass numbet of people running cycling and walking just to get out of the house, they are notably absent this time round

just getting out of the chair is getting increasingly difficult, ive been forcing my self out to do a cycle ride everyday, which its self is depresing as ive lost so much fitness since the late summer and the incessant freezing rain doesnt help

im still playing with the idea of doing a three hundred mile tour, but i cant see my fitness or the ease of restictions making this a viable propostion any time soon

ma classes , looks a long way off at the moment and il be poor when if they do resume after a more than 12 months lay off, theres only so much you can do on your own

Am very sorry to hear mate.. truly. It's not easy on many levels...

I do hope you can find some ways to train that are enjoyable. I know you don't think training MA solo is of much benefit, I've had the opposite experience and it's worth giving a go. Something that you enjoy drilling or practicing is a good start. Cycling sounds great too. Just remember your training doesn't have to be goal oriented, performance oriented nor training 'for' something, but can be something you do for it's own sake and enjoyment.

It is really hard to predict when things will change, but in the meantime am thinking of you all who are not in the position we are in, and that you can find some solace and an anchor that helps you.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
@simon, interesting observations while training alone. Also very much like the locale and scenery. We are currently covered in a foot of snow and it is about -21°C here so not much outdoor training to be had.

@jobo, sorry to hear man. The restrictions in the area we are living in are also quite severe. They are talking about lifting them as the vaccine rolls out but that is also seemingly a ways off. Looking forward to some warmer weather where I can vary the training location a little. Would really enjoy some outdoor time.

I've gone back to teaching classes online 3 times a week and I found that that has had a positive affect on my desire to attend classes on zoom. To help support our dojo during the lockdown, a few of us have also started giving fitness classes twice a week (on our off days) to try and entice people from the dojo to come back and at least do something physical for 45 minutes. The rationale was doing 45 minutes of fitness (not necessarily karate oriented) was a good way to get people prepared to come back to the dojo for a 90 minute class. The surprise bonus is that 3 of my kids (and a few of their friends) have decided to take the class. They were doing youtube videos but decided it was more interesting to work out with dad.

Be well and stay strong,, gents.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
@simon, interesting observations while training alone. Also very much like the locale and scenery. We are currently covered in a foot of snow and it is about -21°C here so not much outdoor training to be had.

@jobo, sorry to hear man. The restrictions in the area we are living in are also quite severe. They are talking about lifting them as the vaccine rolls out but that is also seemingly a ways off. Looking forward to some warmer weather where I can vary the training location a little. Would really enjoy some outdoor time.

I've gone back to teaching classes online 3 times a week and I found that that has had a positive affect on my desire to attend classes on zoom. To help support our dojo during the lockdown, a few of us have also started giving fitness classes twice a week (on our off days) to try and entice people from the dojo to come back and at least do something physical for 45 minutes. The rationale was doing 45 minutes of fitness (not necessarily karate oriented) was a good way to get people prepared to come back to the dojo for a 90 minute class. The surprise bonus is that 3 of my kids (and a few of their friends) have decided to take the class. They were doing youtube videos but decided it was more interesting to work out with dad.

Be well and stay strong,, gents.
Ah sorry to hear things are still quite challenging... but that's so awesome to hear, and I found it very helpful and still having a nice community feel to train with people online. Meeting people I'd never had the chance to and making genuine friends too. And even though some see online training as pointless, I've made massive improvements on many levels.

That being said, we've (our whole state) only just gone into a very hard 5 day lockdown just last night, very sudden and unexpected but necessary..

Thanks so much for sharing that, love hearing what others are doing to keep training :)

And yes, you take care and stay safe too brother

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
A mix of a session here at home, bit of technical, balance, and cardio/stamina work with the heavy bag:

-technical stance training (shizentai, zenkutsu, sanchin, kokutsu, nekoashi, kiba, hangetsu, shiko, kake), then with tsuki

-balance: kicks on balance board

-bagwork: 6x1m, 2m active rest (light shadowsparring). "Tabata" 4x20s, 10s rest (alternating rounds- punch combo, right kick, punch combo, left kick)

Last edited:
OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
A mix of a session here at home, bit of technical, balance, and cardio/stamina work with the heavy bag:

-technical stance training (shizentai, zenkutsu, sanchin, kokutsu, nekoashi, kiba, hangetsu, shiko, kake), then with tsuki

-balance: kicks on balance board

-bagwork: 6x1m, 2m active rest (light shadowsparring). "Tabata" 4x20s, 10s rest (alternating rounds- punch combo, right kick, punch combo, left kick)
Really enjoyed that session, and haven't trained with that level of intensity in a long time! The bagwork was ferocious haha and hard work. Will ease into it and build my way up...

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Somehow have tweaked my left shoulder, hurts pretty bad, feels like rotator cuff yet again, really need to strengthen up this area! Funnily I think it may have been from facepulls in yesterday's weight's session, oh the irony!

Had to alter my home session, it's quite fun how creative you can get:

-sanchin kata (full tension: toes, lat/pec, pinkies). I read something about 3 points of tension for sanchin kata, or sanchin being the best way to learn these: armpit, lower abdomen and pinky/ring. Thought this was fascinating so I explored this (substituted toes instead of abdomen, don't need more tension there!)

-sanchin kata heavy band in hands and around legs (blue and red)

-leg extensions/held kicks against wall
-right hand combos (VERY light with left): double punch from same hand)

-kicks in specific stances moving forward

-agility footwork drills over bands on ground 10m

-bagwork: right hand (focusing on connection, and 3 tensions above). Switch kicks (gedan, chudan mawashi geri) 10m

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Somehow have tweaked my left shoulder, hurts pretty bad, feels like rotator cuff yet again, really need to strengthen up this area! Funnily I think it may have been from facepulls in yesterday's weight's session, oh the irony!

Had to alter my home session, it's quite fun how creative you can get:

-sanchin kata (full tension: toes, lat/pec, pinkies). I read something about 3 points of tension for sanchin kata, or sanchin being the best way to learn these: armpit, lower abdomen and pinky/ring. Thought this was fascinating so I explored this (substituted toes instead of abdomen, don't need more tension there!)

-sanchin kata heavy band in hands and around legs (blue and red)

-leg extensions/held kicks against wall
-right hand combos (VERY light with left): double punch from same hand)

-kicks in specific stances moving forward

-agility footwork drills over bands on ground 10m

-bagwork: right hand (focusing on connection, and 3 tensions above). Switch kicks (gedan, chudan mawashi geri) 10m
I'm sure you know, but make sure you don't end up injuring your shoulder more-that can live with you for a while. And even doing things with your right arm/body can aggravate it sometimes, since even if it's not making impact you still might be torquing your shoulder back.

Latest Discussions