The illusion of speed

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't say timing and rhythm "MORE" important, but certainly are important contributing factors to the overall effect being successful.

:asian:

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks goldendragon. By the way did you get some of that off of Mr. Chapels website, a lot of it sounds familiar. It should anyway; my instructor has gone over that stuff a thousand times. I appreciate all the time you put into that post by the way. Again, thank you very much. :asian:

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are you a little tired now? LOL! Excellent breakdown my friend...

Speed can also be examined via the time it takes to physically move between strikes (min. time reaction). Reaction time is an important factor.

Dave Simmons:D

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Timing and proper rhythm are more important than speed, but they do not enhance the power of the strikes. Power is generated by solid mechanics and a stable base.

I disagree. I think proper end-point timing is a critical factor in striking power. I also think that, when talking of speed, we should differentiate between quick and fast.

I also wanted to see if anyone's opinions have changed in the 7 years since this thread began...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Guess this being said many times......A straight line...is the fastest way to success!

The illusions of speed can be "had" with the straight lines...

Cocking can be more powerful.....? ....but they may beat you first!

Trying to go "STRAIGHT" ....being bent too many times...

Aloha, ....going straight...enzyte?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow thread necromancy! :)

I bet the zombie apocalypse will start from someone resurrecting an ancient Internet thread that then spreads into decaying flesh corpses somehow. Probably through an iPhone or Blackberry.

This is a particularly dangerous thread to necro: the zombies could end up being the FAST kind instead of the slow, lumbering kind.

That said,

I find the "illusion of speed" is best achieved with

a) superior timing

b) well-trained combinations

Those two will stay with you long after your fast twitch muscle speed is gone.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wow thread necromancy! :)

I bet the zombie apocalypse will start from someone resurrecting an ancient Internet thread that then spreads into decaying flesh corpses somehow. Probably through an iPhone or Blackberry.

This is a particularly dangerous thread to necro: the zombies could end up being the FAST kind instead of the slow, lumbering kind.

technically isn't that threadcromancy :)

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'll the devil's advocate.. speed can be learned through the correct iron eating exercices and techniques. There isn't much new scientific evidence on it, because well.. Only top athletes get trained in this.

Average joe's are more lickely just focus on building mass.
Should look it up in a previous course I had.

But it can be done!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree. I think proper end-point timing is a critical factor in striking power. I also think that, when talking of speed, we should differentiate between quick and fast.

I also wanted to see if anyone's opinions have changed in the 7 years since this thread began...

Hello, Not sure if we want to be "quick" or '"fast" ....which is better for speed? ..how does one differentiate between both? ...should we teach one to be quick or fast? .... or a fast strike and quick block? ...or a quick strike and a fast block? ...

One can eat fast and be quick at it? ...or they ate quickly and finish faster?

Love making/martial art techniques ...is it quick or fast? ....vote taken?

Aloha, ...looking for a quick or fast response here...?

PS: known as a fast learner...and quick to forget too!! or...was it quick to learn..and fast to forget? ....oh well....?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Not sure if we want to be "quick" or '"fast" ....which is better for speed? ..how does one differentiate between both? ...should we teach one to be quick or fast? .... or a fast strike and quick block? ...or a quick strike and a fast block? ...

I use quick to describe the time it takes to go from zero to full speed, and fast to describe what full speed, once achieved, is.

Some people are fast, but not very quick. For example, a reverse punch that has great timing, and is moving fast when it hits, with a lot of power, but seems to take forever to get there. Or vice versa, the punch that you never see, and never really feel. Quick, but not fast.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Definitions for fast and quick...found this one explaining both..

FAST: done quickly...

QUICK: done fast..

..faster gun in the west? ....will be the one with the quick draw...(accuracy is important too..)

..one thing for sure? ...time does fly....quickly and many time too fast for us?

Aloha, .....what time do you have? .....saving mines for later..

Latest Discussions