Natural weapon to natural target

G

GouRonin

While talking with a friend the other day we were discussing how certain weapons fit certain targets. ie - heel palm fits the bridge of the nose quite nicely.

How many other arts use this concept as well?

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Some of the Okinawan systems believe in the right strike for the right target. Matsubayashi Ryu believes in the 3/4 punch because it sinks so much deeper into the taget and allows for more proper alignment of thebones in the forearm.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would think that a lot of other arts use this concept without recognizing it as such. Take for example the ever present handsword to the collarbone or back kick to the groin. These srikes are used for a reason, because they fit the targets. I think in Kenpo it's explained more thouroughly and the strikes in the techniques are being chosen based on this concept (among many others).

On the other hand you can recognize a student who hasn't been made aware of this from a simple reverse punch to the solar plexus (on a body, not in the air as everybody except Isshi Ryu people turn their fist over when punching in the air). Is the fist turned completely so that the palm is facing the floor or it turned halfway so the knuckles 'fit' nicely between the pectoral muscles?

Now I have only the short time I've been in the arts as my reference, please let me know if I'm wrong in this.

Thank-You,
Rob

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Robbo

I would think that a lot of other arts use this concept without recognizing it as such. Take for example the ever present handsword to the collarbone or back kick to the groin. These srikes are used for a reason, because they fit the targets. I think in Kenpo it's explained more thouroughly and the strikes in the techniques are being chosen based on this concept (among many others).

On the other hand you can recognize a student who hasn't been made aware of this from a simple reverse punch to the solar plexus (on a body, not in the air as everybody except Isshi Ryu people turn their fist over when punching in the air). Is the fist turned completely so that the palm is facing the floor or it turned halfway so the knuckles 'fit' nicely between the pectoral muscles?

Now I have only the short time I've been in the arts as my reference, please let me know if I'm wrong in this.

Thank-You,
Rob

i actually believe this is found in all martial arts with exception of sport stuff.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to rely more on 'longest/fastest weapon to closest' target than utilizing specific strikes for specific targets.

However, I've always liked the way a good low roundhouse fits into the side of the knee (inside or outside). Hook punch to the temple,jaw, or 'button'.

Cthulhu

OP
B

Battousai

Originally posted by Robbo

All of the basic seiken strikes at my school are with the palm facing the floor. Tate strikes are taught later. Our target is the diaphram, does it make sense to you guys that a horizontal target like the diaphram should have a more horizontal strike?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which ever weapon is used (often times there are numbers of options) must be appropriate (horizontal, vertical, or diagonal ~ which by the way these are all paths of action not striking references) and able to accomplish the goal whatever that may be.

:asian:

Latest Discussions