The historical origins of the Koryo hyung?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well can we see if we can make a difference and bring back proper forms to the Art of a poomsae?

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'll be more than happy to be in on that action. I would love to learn all of the forms that the KMAs have to offer as well as the Japanese Kata which some have spawned from.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem with the New Koryo is the way it is tougth, like the double sidekicks going to the foot and then the cieling please, it is suppose to be knee and lower rib cage for SD purpose. When was the last time you ever seen anybody kick straightto the cielingfor SD? All in all we all have an opinion but the prooblem is opinion does not out wiegh the facts and application of said forms.
As far as bringing back practical applications, it would be easy, and this form makes an excellent case-in-point. Since we (the TKD instructors and students at various schools) decide what gets emphasized in a form through our judging and our individual practice, why not judge and practice as if the form is supposed to be done with a low and a mid-level kick? In fact, that is the way the form is supposed to be done, and I make a point of judging and teaching that way, whenever I have the opportunity.

Combat effectiveness has very little to do with appearance. ..... fidelity to some æsthetic canon seems a bit, uh, beside the point?
This is not repeated for content, just that I had to ask.... how did you get the thread responder to print the little a/e character in 'aesthetic'?

OP
exile

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is not repeated for content, just that I had to ask.... how did you get the thread responder to print the little a/e character in 'aesthetic'?

Well, on my Mac laptop, you would hold the 'option/alt' key down and hit the ' key, the one right next to the return key. That will give you æ. If you're not on a Mac, I don't know—any of you PC users out there figured out how to do this on your machines?

Red Menace

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The problem with the New Koryo is the way it is tougth, like the double sidekicks going to the foot and then the cieling please, it is suppose to be knee and lower rib cage for SD purpose. When was the last time you ever seen anybody kick straightto the cielingfor SD? All in all we all have an opinion but the prooblem is opinion does not out wiegh the facts and application of said forms.

At my school we do Koryo with the kicks going to the middle and then upper. Which is not realistic for self defense because if you kick someone hard in the stomach their head will likely lower as they bend over. However, we are taught that we practice upper kicks to make our middle and lower kicks stronger. If you can kick hard to the head then obviously you can kick hard to lower targets in a self defense application. We are taught that you do not (normally) do high kicks in real life self defense. Just a thought.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The 2006 Kukkiwon textbook makes the clear point that the side kicks in the current Koryo are to the knee & then solar plexus. In the dvd of the "details" of the poomsae they make it clear that the knee & then solar plexus are the proper targets for SD.

It's good to see these types of explanations of poomsae from the Kukkiwon.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!

I found out a little bit about the version of Koryo Hyung that is taught at our dojang, and it seems that was the way my KJN learned Koryo KJN Lee. I haven't had a chance to talk to KJN deeper about it yet because of all the testing that is going on at the dojang. I'll keep you guys up to date once I get more info.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The 2006 Kukkiwon textbook makes the clear point that the side kicks in the current Koryo are to the knee & then solar plexus. In the dvd of the "details" of the poomsae they make it clear that the knee & then solar plexus are the proper targets for SD.

It's good to see these types of explanations of poomsae from the Kukkiwon.

Here in another thread, I just said the other day that the textbook & dvd say that the targets are knee & head. I'm confusing myself, now. Knee & solar plexus make sense to me, but the textbook & dvd both say knee and head (chin to be exact). :idunno:

OP
exile

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here in another thread, I just said the other day that the textbook & dvd say that the targets are knee & head. I'm confusing myself, now. Knee & solar plexus make sense to me, but the textbook & dvd both say knee and head (chin to be exact). :idunno:

And in the context of a supposed strike to the head, the follow-up cross-body knifehand strike makes very little sense, eh? Because if you've successfully delivered a kick to the head (a very risky move, IMO, but let's assume for the sake of argument it worked), the guy is going to have been knocked way back or onto the ground, leaving you performing a close-quarters range strike into the air... what gives?? On the other hand, a short, sharp strike to the knee, especially if you've got a grip on the attacker, will almost automatically bring his upper body forward head first&#8212;and there, a knifehand strike followup makes absolutely perfect sense. So the flashy second kick in the Koryo opening sequence doesn't seem to me to fit well with the surrounding techs, all of which assume a close-quarters context. The high side kick definitely seems the odd man out, in that company. This makes it especially plausible that it was parachuted into that particular sequence, so to speak, for reasons having little connection with whatever the combat logic of the original version of Koryo (which only has the one kick) was...

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Side kick to knee drops person lower and sidekick to solar drops front arm guard down..not knocking back since dropped arm fell on foot trying to catch or block. This exposes the neck/face.
Besides in real life any one strike would end most fights so we have to allow for some suspended belief here in order to string together the moves.

Dave O.

OP
exile

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Side kick to knee drops person lower and sidekick to solar drops front arm guard down..not knocking back since dropped arm fell on foot trying to catch or block. This exposes the neck/face.
Besides in real life any one strike would end most fights so we have to allow for some suspended belief here in order to string together the moves.

Dave O.

Right, but what Ice was talking about was the fact that in the KKW textbook, they are taking that second kick to be a kick to the face... like, a seriously high kick, not a mid-level strike to the solar p. It's the high kick in particular, the head height kick, that doesn't seem to make sense in the context of the other moves...

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oops I misread. Well I guess the suspended belief portion takes over at this point ; )

Dave O.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is an older version (a few years) from YOUTUBE of the official KKW textbook video. The current dvd has the kicks in the same places. The new dvd clearly says "face."

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions