The definition of a McDojo!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am in one of the more expensive schools in the area ($235 a month for both me and my son) and that doesn't include testing. It does include, however, dobak, patches and for an additional $25 a month they have the afterschool programme for my son. We both have unlimited classes and we test every 3 months for the gups, and 6 months for the dans. I'm not saying that cheap schools are bad. My Judo dojo charges me $20 a month for two, 2 hour classes a week. I just think, around here at least, the cheaper schools just become babysitters for the Suzy Soccer Moms' unruly children. And more often than not, I have found, they tend to churn out people with limited martial knowledge, and bad attitudes to go with it.

"KOBRA KAI!!"

Well it takes about 4-5 years to recieve a BB though my TKD club, most schools turn them out in 18-24 months. So I am not a Babysitting school and I am cheap, I have been fighting this money forever. I nee student and I would probaly get better quality of people if I was higher. Maybe that is the key to run a successful school.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you can't charge enough money that will compensate for teaching some people LOL!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am in one of the more expensive schools in the area ($235 a month for both me and my son) and that doesn't include testing. It does include, however, dobak, patches and for an additional $25 a month they have the afterschool programme for my son. We both have unlimited classes and we test every 3 months for the gups, and 6 months for the dans. I'm not saying that cheap schools are bad. My Judo dojo charges me $20 a month for two, 2 hour classes a week. I just think, around here at least, the cheaper schools just become babysitters for the Suzy Soccer Moms' unruly children. And more often than not, I have found, they tend to churn out people with limited martial knowledge, and bad attitudes to go with it.

"KOBRA KAI!!"
Sweep the leg, Johnny.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well it takes about 4-5 years to recieve a BB though my TKD club, most schools turn them out in 18-24 months. So I am not a Babysitting school and I am cheap, I have been fighting this money forever. I nee student and I would probaly get better quality of people if I was higher. Maybe that is the key to run a successful school.

Terry, do you mind sharing how much you charge currently and what you play to change your rates to? I run a noncommercial school myself. I charge $25 a month for 2 two-hr classes a week. I'm not accepting any more students at this time until some quit, since we're right at the limit that I feel I can teach and still maintain a high level of personal attention to each student.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score

That is about the average time span at our school. It could take longer and it could take less.

I was just reading your other thread and was curious as to how you decision making was going on the BBC front. And what organisations are you allied with? My school is currently with United Chung Do Kwan, Kukkiwon, and an organisation called Martial Arts America. They have a few of the McDojang aspects involved with it, but it hasn't watered down that training that any of our students get, even the "Li'l Dragons". My son started as a Lil Dragon and I was very impressed at what he picked up in the 6 months he's been there. That is what got me to sign up at the school. I leave class bruised, sore, and loving every minute of it. Where is you dojang located?

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a TKD guy but I couldn't resist posting.
In spotting a McDojo it's really all about 'honesty'. At my school, I say I teach MMA because I teach Kickboxing, grappling and weapons combat. To me that is complete in making a solid martial artist who can defend themselves in combat. I also teach like 5 different martial arts, so it's definately 'mixed'. If I said I teach people to be fighters in the cage I would be operating a McDojo. There are too many comlexities that I don't know about for sport fighting and we'd get killed. I'd like to get into it more though.
I'm also truthful about my own skill. In grappling (BJJ) I think I'm a 'blue belt at best. I think I'm a decent teacher of it all though, and I will produce better grapplers than some black belt teachers I've seen. My student are getting good. When I first opened my school I only taught Contemporary Wushu (kung fu forms). It still was not a McDojo because I was truthful about what my students were learning and still am no matter what it is.
Since I'm here, I'm actually interested in some TKD. The way they do those spin kicks are simply amazing and I'd love to add that to my kickboxing curriculum. Any good TKD places in Eastern CT?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In spotting a McDojo it's really all about 'honesty'. At my school, I say I teach MMA because I teach Kickboxing, grappling and weapons combat. To me that is complete in making a solid martial artist who can defend themselves in combat. I also teach like 5 different martial arts, so it's definately 'mixed'. If I said I teach people to be fighters in the cage I would be operating a McDojo. There are too many comlexities that I don't know about for sport fighting and we'd get killed. I'd like to get into it more though.
I'm also truthful about my own skill. In grappling (BJJ) I think I'm a 'blue belt at best. I think I'm a decent teacher of it all though, and I will produce better grapplers than some black belt teachers I've seen. My student are getting good. When I first opened my school I only taught Contemporary Wushu (kung fu forms). It still was not a McDojo because I was truthful about what my students were learning and still am no matter what it is.
Since I'm here, I'm actually interested in some TKD. The way they do those spin kicks are simply amazing and I'd love to add that to my kickboxing curriculum. Any good TKD places in Eastern CT?

Is there anything I can help you with this bearing in mind I'm over here and you're there?

ellies

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I'd come to your school because I definately know I would learn something. Honest teagchers always teach great classes. Thank you for posting!!:ultracool

ellies

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The problem is that if you watch the video, the kid is not 3rd dan material, jr BB or not...and I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I've never heard of a jr BB that was able to earn a dan at all...they usually top out at the title of jr BB, correct?

But, on topic, the kid isn't impressive at all. Even if you take into consideration that he's a kid, he just looks like he's going through the motions. He doesn't appear to understand the application of any of the techniques...only that his instructor has showed him where to place his hands and feet, and he just puts them there.

It's like watching a small kid play "The Sky Is Crying" by Stevie Ray Vaughn that has learned the song from a tab sheet...there probably isn't any feeling in it at all, he's just going through the notes that are on the page.

But, like I've said before, it doesn't mean that the kid isn't on the way to earning a blackbelt...I just don't think he's at a blackbelt level for any age.

I have noticed that in alot of schools, where the kids seems to have no real devotion for learning save they go through the movements and get promoted. At one school I heard an instructor say, "What if you had to use this to save your life then what? Let's do it again and I want and hope you put your hearts and souls into it, make it as though your lives depend on this technique!"

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow,
I know the folks that run this academy. They indeed are making a living teaching. Yes there belt requirements are less than mine. However, the people I know that train at this academy are humble, gracious, full of good humor, and just really good people. I had a few over when my wife and I had a BBQ over the summer. The GGM of our org. came and well the folks got up and greeted GGM with sincere politeness.

There are 2 sides of martial arts......the martial part that anyone can learn given enough time. I believe it is the intangibles of confidence, respect, honor, courage, committment, integrity, humility that really makes the martial arts. I have always thought that if you train hard every day then you are martial artists.

I have seen garage, dungeon, small building, and very commercial schools. In the end it comes down to conviction and how hard you really train. If your mind is in the right frame then the rest is easy.

Martial Arts is a Journey not a belt color.
For all those wondering what Mcdojo is check out this schools site. Look at their masters and black belt and look at their testing requirements! Its hilarious!!!!!!!!!

WorldTaekwondo.com:erg:

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
You said you wanted to get more into MMA?
Yeah I'd like to in the future 'cause I know some of my students might be interested in sport fighting(mma/kickboxing). I don't know a lot of the 'sport' stuff, like taking care of swelling, rules etc. I'd be an awful corner man:) I'm learning though, I guess.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd come to your school because I definately know I would learn something. Honest teagchers always teach great classes. Thank you for posting!!:ultracool
Thank you for your kind words. Come down anytime if you're nearby.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd like to in the future 'cause I know some of my students might be interested in sport fighting(mma/kickboxing). I don't know a lot of the 'sport' stuff, like taking care of swelling, rules etc. I'd be an awful corner man:) I'm learning though, I guess.

"Stitch" Duran has a very good DVD out called "Giving a fighter one more round" about being a corner and cutman that would be worth you getting, good for fighters too to know what to expect from their cornerperson.
the rest you'll pick up or you'll get plenty of info on here, you can always PM me if you like, I've been in MMA for 8 years now ( over 16 in MA), I corner train and ref but sadly too old to fight lol unless I can find another middle aged person to fight :), still I get to beat the men up in the club and at work so that'll have to do!

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are 2 sides of martial arts......the martial part that anyone can learn given enough time. I believe it is the intangibles of confidence, respect, honor, courage, committment, integrity, humility that really makes the martial arts. I have always thought that if you train hard every day then you are martial artists.

Martial Arts is a Journey not a belt color.

I'll second that.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Stitch" Duran has a very good DVD out called "Giving a fighter one more round" about being a corner and cutman that would be worth you getting, good for fighters too to know what to expect from their cornerperson.
the rest you'll pick up or you'll get plenty of info on here, you can always PM me if you like, I've been in MMA for 8 years now ( over 16 in MA), I corner train and ref but sadly too old to fight lol unless I can find another middle aged person to fight :), still I get to beat the men up in the club and at work so that'll have to do!
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Yeah I'd love to fight too. My wife won't let me though. She says she put up with me going to Iraq a few years ago and my fighting days are over. hehehe

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Yeah I'd love to fight too. My wife won't let me though. She says she put up with me going to Iraq a few years ago and my fighting days are over. hehehe

It's a shame you aren't closer to us! I have the perfect excuse for you to have an amateur fight in April lol! We are doing a special fund raising fight night for Help for Heroes and she'd be hard put to say no to that lol. Amateur rules are no head shots at all and most wives/GFs are happy with that. Most of our students are soldiers, back from Iraq and Afghanistan last year and due again at the end of next. I have two young brothers in the childrens class whose father is an American army officer on exchange, he's medically downgraded at the moment but he reckons he'll be due to go to the 'sandy countries' after this tour.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/index.html?gclid=CP-e28aP3JcCFSVPEAod-Xu9Dw

We are getting together all the TMA and MMA people we can and are planning to do displays of everything we can think of, all ideas very welcome!! of course everyone has an invite!

Latest Discussions