The Conflict of Gi vs No Gi

Discussion in 'Grappling / Brazilian Ju Jitsu / Wrestling' started by GreatSayiaman, Jun 15, 2018.

1. GreatSayiaman

GreatSayiaman Yellow Belt

I see where you are coming from when it comes to ranking and I have competed in the past and was fun, However I see comps as a way to see where I'm weak and strong at outside of sparring in my comfort zone and I see it where if I move up within the Ranking System within my school cool and keep training and learning.If not keep training and learning still. Like I said maybe it is due to the Muay Thai mentality I have now since training with my Kru.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TSDTexan

TSDTexan Master of Arts

for real fun roll with a gi on, against a no gi opponent.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. CoachRonald

CoachRonald Yellow Belt

Hi buddy,

In Brazil there were an ancient conflict between gracie schools (Gi) and luta livre ones, that is a species of submission wretling modality.

I' m not sure about US, but I think it's for the same reason, since the gracie family tried to impose their system over the others current system, by chalanging and defeating figthers representative of these arts.

However, nowadays it's been overcome.

• Like Like x 1
  4. donald1

donald1 Senior Master

The way I see it if your going to a class where people wear a gi you should wear a gi. If you don't have one get one. There are plenty of schools that don't wear gi. I've always worn a uniform. So I rarely put thought to it. Other than the fact that wearing a black gi in the summer time gets really hot really fast.

5. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

Why did Chinese wrestling use jacket in the ancient time?

When you have

- no jacket on, you can move around and avoid wrestling, your opponent can't do much about it.
    - jacket on, if your opponent grabs on you, it's hard for you to break away, you have to wrestle after that.

Also with jacket, when your opponent throws you, at the end of his throw, he can pull your jack and reduce the falling impact. The jacket is used to protect your opponent from injury.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chester Wright

Chester Wright Yellow Belt

Typically I prefer No-Gi for a number of reasons. The first being that not everybody that walks into a gym/dojo has a Gi, most everybody does own a pair of shorts and a t-shirt at least to train with. Second being No-Gi usually allows for a wider variety of lower body submissions in competition. Third I am usually less sore after doing No-Gi, while when I work Gi my arms and especially my hands get pretty well wasted after a training sessions.

7. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

The jacket wrestling can make you lazy. If you can use your monster grips to hold on your opponent's jacket, if he cannot break your grips, he cannot apply any technique on you. The problem is, if you just keep doing this, you can develop a strong defense (in jacket wrestling). But you still have not develop any offense skill yet.

It's like the BJJ ground game. You can hold your opponent on the ground but you can't arm bar, leg bar, or choke him. That will not be good either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PiedmontChun

PiedmontChun Purple Belt

Doing both is good. Whether Judo or BJJ, the gi gives a lot of practice in controlling someone with their own clothing and defending against someone doing the same to you. A lot of technical submissions.
    The flipside is training without the gi forces you to gain leverage in slightly different ways, be more explosive, and not rely on clothing grips. Its like learning both sides of a coin.

9. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    Some of the Judo and BJJ uniforms address the issue by making the lapel too thick to grab as easily. The sleeves on most BJJ uniforms are close enough to the arm to also make them harder to hold onto.

10. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

Both are awesome. Some of the stuff those no-gi guys pull off is a sight to behold. However, there's something almost magical about jiujitsu in the gi, and tying a belt around your waist. I used to love buying a new gi (always white) and putting it on for the first time.

About the ONLY thing I prefer about no gi over the gi is that it's cheaper to buy shirts and shorts than it is to buy a good gi. Considering that I had to wash my gi almost every time I practiced made me yearn to be in a 10th planet gym.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    I have to say I'm with you on the feel of putting on a gi. I could train in street clothes, but I just like putting on my gi too much.

• Like Like x 1