BJJ - What they don't tell you

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
A great art, one I think about often because it's so effective. It's just something I don't think I will like.

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hygienic practices...showering and washing your gear. You be surprised how people think an aired dried GI is clean enough. Yuck!

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
A great art, one I think about often because it's so effective. It's just something I don't think I will like.

I absolutely love bjj. So much so that even though I'm sitting here with broken ribs gotten doing bjj, I really can't wait to get back to it.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad you like it. It's a great and very effective art!

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
BJJ is hard. And doing hard stuff sucks until you get results.

Sorry nobody can change that. They can only change your ability to deal with it.

For me it has nothing to do with being hard. It's the idea of rolling around on the ground with sweaty strangers. I know it's ridicoulous but that's how i feel about it.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, it gets uncomfortable sometimes. Some of it you have to get over (most of it), and some of it can be minimized.
- You learn to avoid people who don't seem to have the best hygiene (I'll drill with you or roll if coach partners us up, but I will not seek you out to work with if I have a choice. Ever.)
- Big guys who sweat a lot should wear rashguards under their gi. I do. And wipe your face between rounds so you don't drip sweat onto a person who is under you more than what is avoidable.

The legit uncomfortable parts for me were getting used to heavy pressure from being on the bottom of dominant positions like knee on belly, mount, a strong side control. I had a 265 pound training partner sitting into my ribcage yesterday (during rolling, not a friendly drill); it was hard to still breathe and for a moment made me worry about my ribs (I've never actually injured one but definitely have bruised them at times). We had a brand new white belt start the other day and you could tell he freaked out / panicked a bit being in someone's mount, and I remember what that felt like at first.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Things change over time. I know what they didn't tell you thirty years ago, at least in our experience.

They didn't tell you how good it was.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get what outsiders think of bjj. Basically it looks like sex...bluntly that's what uneducated people would think of it and yes let's be honest a lot of positions you get in do seem a bit like it. But when your in class to me there's no uncomfortable feelings at all with anyone. I've rolled with men and women and no one felt any awkwardness simply that's the sport and everyone who trains understands it. Plus it's hard to feel awkward or uncomftoable when the other persons trying to put your arm in a position for it to break or put you in a choke that'll put you unconscious if you don't get out or tap early

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get what outsiders think of bjj. Basically it looks like sex...bluntly that's what uneducated people would think of it and yes let's be honest a lot of positions you get in do seem a bit like it. But when your in class to me there's no uncomfortable feelings at all with anyone. I've rolled with men and women and no one felt any awkwardness simply that's the sport and everyone who trains understands it. Plus it's hard to feel awkward or uncomftoable when the other persons trying to put your arm in a position for it to break or put you in a choke that'll put you unconscious if you don't get out or tap early
I’ve never done BJJ, but I wrestled and coached it for a long time. It’s the same thing you mention.

People say things like they don’t want to roll around on the mat with guys and similar and worse stuff. Add while wearing tights in wrestling. Truth is, most often it’s an excuse because they know they couldn’t handle the physical difficulty. They know they’d get their butt kicked. Thing is, everyone gets their butt kicked at first. And for a long time. Wrestling, and I’m assuming BJJ and Judo take a long time to become competitive in. I’m assuming BJJ and Judo don’t have as many outright mismatches at first due to belt ranks in competition. In wrestling the only thing separating competitors is weight class. You could easily have a 2 time state champion wrestling against a guy who’s wrestling his first match ever.

But back to the original intent of the thread...

The harder something is, the more the excuses for not doing it flow.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Watched the full video. To me the remarkable thing is, despite the issues hes planning on continuing training. Clearly, theres something about bjj thats good enough to withstand the burns and sweaty partners.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never actually done any BJJ, so I can't say for sure whether I'd like it or not. One of the Muay Thai coaches I know didn't like it for the same reasons the guy in the video mentioned. I think if you want to learn it bad enough, and realize the effectivness of it, you're likely to get over those hurdles.

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Training for grappling arts is a gradual process. You have to condition yourself both mentally & physically. That’s what the training is for.

Most people are conditioned by society to maintain a certain distance from others. You have to unlearn this conditioning in order to be effective in grappling/BJJ/etc.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ve never done BJJ, but I wrestled and coached it for a long time. It’s the same thing you mention.

People say things like they don’t want to roll around on the mat with guys and similar and worse stuff. Add while wearing tights in wrestling. Truth is, most often it’s an excuse because they know they couldn’t handle the physical difficulty. They know they’d get their butt kicked. Thing is, everyone gets their butt kicked at first. And for a long time. Wrestling, and I’m assuming BJJ and Judo take a long time to become competitive in. I’m assuming BJJ and Judo don’t have as many outright mismatches at first due to belt ranks in competition. In wrestling the only thing separating competitors is weight class. You could easily have a 2 time state champion wrestling against a guy who’s wrestling his first match ever.

But back to the original intent of the thread...

The harder something is, the more the excuses for not doing it flow.
Yeah in comps they go by belt ranks but in classes you stil, roll with everyone. Every class I go to the open mat the hour before class starts and normally I'm the only white belt who turns up so I'm rolling with blues and purples and Browns an hour before class

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never actually done any BJJ, so I can't say for sure whether I'd like it or not. One of the Muay Thai coaches I know didn't like it for the same reasons the guy in the video mentioned. I think if you want to learn it bad enough, and realize the effectivness of it, you're likely to get over those hurdles.
Well yeah of course a Muay Thai isn't going to say he likes bjj because well he's trying to sell Muay Thai to people he's not going to say hey go check out bjj it's really good as that'll hurt his business lol

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well yeah of course a Muay Thai isn't going to say he likes bjj because well he's trying to sell Muay Thai to people he's not going to say hey go check out bjj it's really good as that'll hurt his business lol
LOL true but he does have a BJJ class at his school it’s just taught by another instructor. :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plenty of Muay Thai instructors like BJJ. Plenty of BJJ instructors like Muay Thai. Some of us train and/or teach both. It’s not like the early days of BJJ where it was about proving one art at the expense of others.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
For me it has nothing to do with being hard. It's the idea of rolling around on the ground with sweaty strangers. I know it's ridicoulous but that's how i feel about it.

This is a thing for lots of people. My original instructor started a BJJ program at his Taekwondo school, and he hears that excuse/reason from a good number of people when he encourages students to try it out.

The sweaty people thing has never bothered me, but I agree with the other poster who mentioned pressure from the top. As a beginning white belt, something as simple as being on the bottom of side mount felt like the end of the world. You can’t breathe, you panic, you spaz, and the only solution is to put yourself in that position again and again until you feel comfortable. I’d bet lots of people who quit early quit for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don't stay strangers long.

And getting close to sweaty people is not unique to BJJ. I've done that in Judo, NGA, FMA, and seminars (where they really were strangers) in a few other arts. It's hard to get good at anything that involves grappling - or even a clinch - without getting close to sweaty people. Come to think of it, quite a few non-martial sports also involve that.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone has said. I'm sure you get over it quickly. I've always been one of those people that likes a good deal of personal space, even when talking to people. I do want to become somewhat proficient at basic ground defense/grappling/kicking so at some point I will engage in it. Please don't mistake what I'm saying as a negative for grappling arts.

Latest Discussions