The Conflict of Gi vs No Gi

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The judo foot sweeps look cool !!
I just don’t like throws as I don’t enjoy being slammed like that .
A double leg is very safe
Being picked up and slammed at my age maybe too much

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I tried a judo throw once and I injured my biceps for 2 months

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
No-gi is more mma version . More Easy to learn because they gut many things out !!!

GI is more complex . It has insane amount of submissions and positions . Gi is more like physics

No Gi is more athletic ability and they teach more leg locks !!
Read post #20 on this thread by Tony Dismukes

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don’t like throws as I don’t enjoy being slammed like that .

Being picked up and slammed at my age maybe too much

because the coach could not teach judo
And gi totally kills my fingers
My fingers suffer badly

What exactly are you training? It sounds as if you aren't being taught techniques properly unless you are just trying them on your own? Learning to breakfall is invaluable, not just for martial arts, it's very handy if you can instinctively breakfall when it's icy etc. ;)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think one interesting side effect of gi-based grappling is the potential damage it can do to your fingers from all the gripping and grip fighting that you have to do. I’ve seen the hands of competitive Bjj and Judo fighters who work primarily in the gi, and their fingers are mangled.

No-gi allows more universal grips that deal less long term damage. If you’re an artist, musician, writer, or someone who depends on their fingers, that’s definitely something to consider.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think one interesting side effect of gi-based grappling is the potential damage it can do to your fingers from all the gripping and grip fighting that you have to do. I’ve seen the hands of competitive Bjj and Judo fighters who work primarily in the gi, and their fingers are mangled.

No-gi allows more universal grips that deal less long term damage. If you’re an artist, musician, writer, or someone who depends on their fingers, that’s definitely something to consider.
I am in a up fighting style and my right thumb has been broken once and dislocated three times from hooking it on the sleeve of a dobok (gi). Yes, it was mostly my fault but not sure being a grappling is a main factor in your argument.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am in a up fighting style and my right thumb has been broken once and dislocated three times from hooking it on the sleeve of a dobok (gi). Yes, it was mostly my fault but not sure being a grappling is a main factor in your argument.

Up fighting style as in Stand up fighting style right?

I'm talking about this;

7 Things to Consider About Finger Damage & BJJ | JitsGrips

Finger Pain in BJJ and What to Do About It

Back to the topic on No-Gi vs Gi; Rash guards can be used for other sports, and you can wear them in non-training places and people won't look at you funny. Advantage: No-gi.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No-gi allows more universal grips that deal less long term damage.
When I grab on your jacket, if you keep rotate your arm to wrap my hand inside your jacket that I can't pull it out, it can hurt my fingers big time. In jacket wrestling, It's not illegal to do so.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I grab on your jacket, if you keep rotate your arm to wrap my hand inside your jacket that I can't pull it out, it can hurt my fingers big time. In jacket wrestling, It's not illegal to do so.

From experience, I've had occasions where I had to switch to wrestling grips and avoid gi grips after long training sessions. So yes, finger pain is a real issue.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hadn’t thought of that. I’ve had some finger injuries over the years, but most weren’t anything you’d see later. I don’t remember any among folks I trained Judo with, but that was a long time ago, and I was pretty young - not really paying attention to that long of thing. With the grips that wrap in the fabric, I can see that being an issue.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Check that; I should have said left thumb as I am left handed and biased.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Damage to the fingers is definitely an issue with grappling in a gi
I’ve found releasing early when someone is stripping my grips to have made a big difference
You do still get some wear and tear damage from fighting to finish chokes, holding onto grips etc, but the big change for me was the one above

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
From experience, I've had occasions where I had to switch to wrestling grips and avoid gi grips after long training sessions. So yes, finger pain is a real issue.

I mostly pinch the gi. If they really want it back they can have it

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Damage to the fingers is definitely an issue with grappling in a gi
I’ve found releasing early when someone is stripping my grips to have made a big difference
You do still get some wear and tear damage from fighting to finish chokes, holding onto grips etc, but the big change for me was the one above

I mostly pinch the gi. If they really want it back they can have it

Unfortunately it's hard to give up a grip when you've fought for it, so I've definitely made the mistake of hanging on for far too long, which leads to some pain later.

The collar and the bow and arrow choke were big pains in the **** for me based on finger pain. Also trying to perform grip sleeve-based guards also sucked after awhile to the point where I started doing no-gi variations for those guards. Like I said, I'm rapidly heading to the point where I might just go no-gi grips for everything whether I'm in the gi or not. I was able to avoid the cauliflower ears, so I'm going to make every effort to avoid having jacked up fingers.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah
I don’t do bow and arrow (my teacher doesn’t believe in it) and find my fingers are fine with the deep collar grip style of chokes and controls (which I use a lot)
For open guard I try to get to the collar pretty quickly which again seems to minimise the stress on the fingers