The concept of "open minded"

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure we have, that would be empiricism. People just tend to ignore it though when their foundational assumptions about the world fail to match up to reality. That sort of profound reflection and reorganization of a worldview based on such a paltry thing as real world evidence is beyond most people.

Empiricism has support in the arena of Science, true. But in Philosophy it is still in the proving stages.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm having difficulty (for once) expressing my thoughts on this.
I do dislike those who are closed minded but am having difficulty in expressing what I mean by that.
I like to think that I'm open minded. I can accept the concept of religion and atheism together or separately. I can accept the concept of creation and evolution, I can accept the concept of mix marriages, I can accept the fact of crimes and wars and disease. I can even accept the concept of high gas prices, accept the concept of vegetarianism and meat eaters, gay and straight and a host of other things... but with all of them... I can either agree or disagree with the ideas depending upon what they are.
I hold a personal opinion on each of those (and other) things and they're my own. If they don't jive with yours it doesn't mean that I'm closed minded. Agreeing or disagreeing with an idea/opinion is the same as saying like/dislike. I like green peas but don't like broccoli. Am I being closed minded about broccoli? No, it's a vegetable that some people eat and some don't. I'm one of those who don't. Is that being closed minded? No of course not.
Same with capital punishment. I am open to the idea of it. It's there and it exists. Some folks don't agree with it, are they being closed minded because I happen to agree with it (in certain circumstances)?? I don't think so.
Closed minded would be someone saying there is no capital punishment, when in fact there is.
Closed minded is the refusal to the facts, period.
Example of that I think would be a Christian's refusal to accept an atheist's belief that there is no God. A Christian may stoutly believe that there is a God but they cannot be "open minded" if they refuse to accept the atheist's stand that there isn't.
You can hear a difference of opinion and still maintain your own.
My oldest brother and I got in to a argument about the beliefs/doctrine about the LDS church. Was he being closed minded... not in my opinion, he just disagreed with the beliefs.

I think people just get bent out of shape because there's someone out there who doesn't think they're right. It's an ego thing. They're so sure of themselves and their beliefs about a subject that there cannot possibly be any other answers. That to me is being closed minded.
To me that's petting the sweaty stuff.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am kind of an agnostic, oddly enough. I dont really understand atheism.

Agnosticism is believe that no one can really know if there is a God or not (or what He/She/It wants), but they're pretty sure there is a God. Atheism is the complete disbelief in the existence of God.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That can take either slant, Nhuka. I'm agnostic and I'm pretty sure there isn't a God to pull our asses out of the fires of our own idiocy.

Agnostic means "Case Unproven". If the Bearded-One comes down, smites all the Evil-Doers and declares "I am your Lord" I'll be quite convinced there is a powerful Being after all ... who still has no right to enforce his will on his creation ... or is that fuel for another discourse? :D.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agnosticism is believe that no one can really know if there is a God or not (or what He/She/It wants), but they're pretty sure there is a God. Atheism is the complete disbelief in the existence of God.

Not quite. Gnosticism is knowledge of divinity. Theism is the belief in divinity. The two do not always track together. At one time I was an agnostic theist - I believed in God, but claimed no sure knowledge. Now I am an agnostic atheist - I do not believe in God, but still claim no sure knowledge.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not quite. Gnosticism is knowledge of divinity. Theism is the belief in divinity. The two do not always track together. At one time I was an agnostic theist - I believed in God, but claimed no sure knowledge. Now I am an agnostic atheist - I do not believe in God, but still claim no sure knowledge.

I've also heard that referred to as "Soft Atheism." As opposed to "Hard Atheism" which claims knowledge that there is no God. Is that similar to what you are saying?

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If the Bearded-One comes down, smites all the Evil-Doers and declares "I am your Lord" I'll be quite convinced there is a powerful Being after all ... who still has no right to enforce his will on his creation ... or is that fuel for another discourse? .
I agree with you. I don't believe that Father in Heaven enforces his will on his children.

Insofar as being open minded: when brainstorming you may hear an idea that sounds like nonsense but with a little tweaking it turns out to be a wonderful solution. As it might apply to the divergent ways we live, and philosophies we embrace I think it's okay for others to believe differently than I do so long as they don't disrupt my legal activities; and I hope that I'm not disrupting other peoples lives or causing them undo stress by my beliefs.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I listen to anything, then i put it in to a slot.

1. I agree
2. i dont agree, but I can see why they think that
3. something to think about
4. Utter crap

to end up in cat. 4, something has to lack a factual basis. Sorry, if it isnt based on FACT, i am not gonna accept it as valid. Things that are purely "opinion" go into either 2 or 3

I consider myself very open minded, because I think things through before I accept them or dismiss them.

I accept #'s 1-3.

Thinking things through is good... however, to be truly open-minded, IMHO, means that you have to be willing to re-examine your opinion periodically. Also, like others, I have a problem with #4 - simply because something is not based on fact does not make it crap; neither is something credible simply because it is based on fact. Facts can be interpreted in a variety of ways, based on the knowledge and experiences of those who are making the interpretation.

To dismiss something as "crap", because, in your opinion and experience, it is not based on fact, is, to me, very close-minded - and excludes philosophy, some parts of higher math, and some parts of science - in each field, there are things that can only be believed; they cannot, under our current knowledge, be proven; that's why science and math are full of theorems and hypotheses - scientific concepts that have not yet been proven, as the facts are either incomplete or unobtainable using current technology. And yet, scientists believe they are true, and use them as if they are true - but still, they may or may not be true; they are currently unprovable, and thus not based on fact.

To be truly open-minded, one has to be willing to examine all ideas - and to re-examine them as new experiences bring new understanding, as new proofs are presented, as old proofs are disproven; to place an idea incontrovertibly in a category (no matter how open-minded the process that places the idea there) and never revisit it is, IMHO, ultimately as close-minded as refusing to examine it to begin with.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I accept #'s 1-3.

Thinking things through is good... however, to be truly open-minded, IMHO, means that you have to be willing to re-examine your opinion periodically. Also, like others, I have a problem with #4 - simply because something is not based on fact does not make it crap; neither is something credible simply because it is based on fact. Facts can be interpreted in a variety of ways, based on the knowledge and experiences of those who are making the interpretation.

To dismiss something as "crap", because, in your opinion and experience, it is not based on fact, is, to me, very close-minded - and excludes philosophy, some parts of higher math, and some parts of science - in each field, there are things that can only be believed; they cannot, under our current knowledge, be proven; that's why science and math are full of theorems and hypotheses - scientific concepts that have not yet been proven, as the facts are either incomplete or unobtainable using current technology. And yet, scientists believe they are true, and use them as if they are true - but still, they may or may not be true; they are currently unprovable, and thus not based on fact.

To be truly open-minded, one has to be willing to examine all ideas - and to re-examine them as new experiences bring new understanding, as new proofs are presented, as old proofs are disproven; to place an idea incontrovertibly in a category (no matter how open-minded the process that places the idea there) and never revisit it is, IMHO, ultimately as close-minded as refusing to examine it to begin with.

If I may be so bold as to interpret what he was saying:

Hypothesises (?) are concepts based on observations. They do hold a basis in fact, while they have not necessarily been proven. Even Einsteins Theory of Relativity is not proven, hence, it is still a theory. But that doesnt mean that there is no basis for it in fact.

I do not believe that #4 means that, in a strick sense, that just because it cannot be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, he means that it is utter crap.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've also heard that referred to as "Soft Atheism." As opposed to "Hard Atheism" which claims knowledge that there is no God. Is that similar to what you are saying?
or

I'm a lapsed agnostic, so I don't the attend the meetings hand out the literature. It also absents me from the, "Is there a god?" debate. How can I debate what I don't know. For my part, I haven't heard a worthwhiledGod exists / God does not exist argument in thirty-five years since Catholic middle school.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Animal Farm, George Orwell.
I thought about that line. Some animals may well be more equal than others, but, some ideas, Female Genital Mutilation, forced marriages, honor killings, these are not equal to others.

The (Widespread and growing) belief that there are "Gray areas" is really horrible for the world. Morals matter. Claiming that horrific things are moral because a segment of society likes it that way is ludicrous, child molesters, rapists and serial killers, while not a religion or ethnicity think their behavior is hunky dory, but that certainly doesn't make it so.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought about that line. Some animals may well be more equal than others, but, some ideas, Female Genital Mutilation, forced marriages, honor killings, these are not equal to others.

The (Widespread and growing) belief that there are "Gray areas" is really horrible for the world. Morals matter. Claiming that horrific things are moral because a segment of society likes it that way is ludicrous, child molesters, rapists and serial killers, while not a religion or ethnicity think their behavior is hunky dory, but that certainly doesn't make it so.

OK, who (other then you) brought these up? We were talking about open mindedness, not honor killings. Or am I in the wrong thread?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, who (other then you) brought these up? We were talking about open mindedness, not honor killings. Or am I in the wrong thread?
Regardless of what is accpeted being open minded means one of two things:
1, You have your own oppion, but are willing to examine the same issue from the side of your oppostion, and thus grow, or develop a new understanding of the issue at hand.
2, You don't really have your own oppion, so, you are examining all possible sides to a discussion, and deciding which makes the most amount of sense.
Your own definition makes all ideals/points of view equal, they aren't. Some things are just wrong, regardless of how many people do them, believe them, etc.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

He's right... lets keep it focused on the subject rather than get sidetrack on this or that topic.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
or

I'm a lapsed agnostic, so I don't the attend the meetings hand out the literature. It also absents me from the, "Is there a god?" debate. How can I debate what I don't know. For my part, I haven't heard a worthwhiledGod exists / God does not exist argument in thirty-five years since Catholic middle school.

I think open-mindedness has to include a fair amount of agnosticism. It appears that agnosticism is more of a continuum than a specific position. I could very well claim some agnosticism about my beliefs in God - while I do believe that there is one, I know little else. And, since I would ideally make my moral choices based on what I believe God would prefer, that leaves a lot of questions about specific things being "right" and "wrong."

In fact, I believe that God has purposefully hidden himself, for reasons which are more relevant for another thread, so I can't blame people for not finding proof, nor do I offer any.

Not to dive into a debate about "situational ethics" here, but when we discuss "murder" as wrong, doesn't that only differ from "killing" by the circumstances surrounding it? Being willing and able to see the different circumstances surrounding different actions and beliefs is also a part of open-mindedness. Some people hate killing in any form, and won't accept people who train to kill. They won't open their minds enough to realize that sometimes killing, although not preferred, is justifiable.

Morals matter, and they do not change, however, how those morals are applied will be different in different situations. Wisdom is in knowing when as well as what.

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 or The Byrds - to Everything There Is a Season

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In fact, I believe that God has purposefully hidden himself, for reasons which are more relevant for another thread, so I can't blame people for not finding proof, nor do I offer any.

OH man I tried, really I did but I just can't restrain myself here and I Am REALLY sorry about this thardey

First
As God said to Bender
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

And Last

OK I'll go now

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OH man I tried, really I did but I just can't restrain myself here and I Am REALLY sorry about this thardey

First
As God said to Bender
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Too true!

And Last

OK I'll go now

Fixed that.

Latest Discussions