The concept of "open minded"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know GM Planas so I can't parse that quote for how it fits in with his actual 'wholistic' view.

I do feel that it must be out of context as it appears to rather miss the point of how life experiences should change you.

Things happen to you, you mature (hopefull) and learn, thus shaping your perception of the world. Wise men are not those who refused to change their minds - they are the ones who took what life offered them in terms of experience and used it as a forge for their consciousness.

You have to take care in the 'tempering' process so that you do not become either too hard (and thus brittle) or too ductile (and thus overly malleable) but the great advantage of the human mind is that it can deal with non-absolutes. Things do not have to be "0" or "1" and that is what gives us mental flexability and the ability to 'intuit' an answer from incomplete evidence.

Well, getting a bit deep there for someone whose supposed to be packing his bags to go run around with sharps :lol:.

Thats the best way I've heard it put. Can't add anything to that!. :high5:

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
True... but lots of information was lost in the Dark Ages, and it took a long time to rediscover it.
Can you demonstrate that the educated people of the "dark ages" lost the knowledge that the earth was round? It has been suggested that Columbus and others had evidence of a spherical earth.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you demonstrate that the educated people of the "dark ages" lost the knowledge that the earth was round? It has been suggested that Columbus and others had evidence of a spherical earth.

They actually did know the world was round. Go to the beach, and watch the ships come in. They come UP from the horizon. if the world was round, you would see them coming towards you. The same is true if you're up high. What they didn't know was how far, and what was between them and Asia. They were pretty there was something, they just didn't know what, and were afraid to find out.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I received a ping the other day for being "very close minded". I don't mind pings, but it reminded me of one of my huge peg peeves. The concept of being "open minded".

It seems lately these days that "closed minded" seems to imply "you don't agree with me", and its been implied to be a negative. The complement, being "open minded" seems to be praised and exalted as the zenith of moral and social awareness. Having an opinion about a topic and not wanting to change or accept it has become the enemy, especially if your views are "traditional" or have a more rigid moral code than "us/me".

Should we indeed exalt these noble "accepting and understanding" figures and isolate those people capable of forming an opinion? Must being "closed minded" imply the rejection of people rather than the rejection of their life choices? Is it indeed close minded to condemn those individuals that are close minded? Isn't that a bit hypocritical? Even the most amoral person holds judgment about some issues, so is that indeed still being open minded? Or is it only acceptable to be open minded about the correct moral content?

When faced with a moral question, of course I will consider it, often from many angles, then I will form my opinion. Chances are it won't be changed, barring extraordinary evidence. I tend not to be swayed by polls and social trends too much unless they actually make sense. Does that make me close minded? If so, I'll happily wear that mantle...

People are allowed to make their choices as well as state their opinions. However, I also hold that same right, permitting the proper medium :)asian: Bob)
Hey mrhnau :) I think one other factor you might possibly consider is that those who might accuse you of closed-mindedness, may do so purely to mask their own dogmatism or indoctrination. We all make our own moral judgements and one person's unmoving belief is another's closed-mindedness.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I place this topic in the same category as "you cant judge me" or "you shouldnt judge others". Lack of sound judgement has landed many people in deep trouble.

Latest Discussions