The Cane

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have cane techniques in our curriculum.

They are taught at gup level.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like Z says there is cane technique in our cirriculum and we do many many reps with these techniques.

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would just like to add that just because you are learning cane technique doesn't mean you have to use a cane. Not everyone walks around with a can but most people own an umbrella, which can be used just like a cane very effectively or even brooms. You can also do a lot of the wrist locks with shorter pieces of wood or almost anything with a handle. I only know this because I said "Well I don't carry around a cane everyday" and the person I was with used a piece of pvc pipe about as long as your forearms. Cane teaches one the motion and the theory behind the moves. Like all things in Hapkido it gives you the tools you need to adapt and survive.

hapkenkido

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i start teaching the cane at 7th gup, our third belt. i think it is one of if not the best self-d weapon that can be carried anywhere.
plus i feel like a pimp when i carry mine! joke

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i start teaching the cane at 7th gup, our third belt. i think it is one of if not the best self-d weapon that can be carried anywhere.

Anywhere...including on a plane ;)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes anywhere, even a plane.
While I haven't tried this personally, I understand others here on MT have, and without incidence.

But you can certainly carry one when out for a walk, going to a movie or restaurant, a public school, in fact anywhere in public, whereas a more single-purpose weapon, such as a knife, would require a lot more explaining to the police.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I haven't tried this personally, I understand others here on MT have, and without incidence.

But you can certainly carry one when out for a walk, going to a movie or restaurant, a public school, in fact anywhere in public, whereas a more single-purpose weapon, such as a knife, would require a lot more explaining to the police.

My ex-bf had a bad leg and always took a metal (aluminum) cane with him in the cabin when he traveled. There was never any serious question from security. Sometimes they would take a close look at it or wipe it with their detector cloth but they never questioned why he needed it in the cabin.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
My ex-bf had a bad leg and always took a metal (aluminum) cane with him in the cabin when he traveled. There was never any serious question from security. Sometimes they would take a close look at it or wipe it with their detector cloth but they never questioned why he needed it in the cabin.
Interesting, thanks. :) Early on I followed someone's advice and got a Dr. to write a prescription for my cane (knees, feet--you name it ;)), a copy of which I carry in my wallet. So your example helps to validate that advice.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have carried a cane when I travel for the past several years, ever since my gout flared up on a trip to Mexico, and I have never been questioned in any airport. The most that has happened is that I was asked to store it in the overhead bin.

hapkenkido

Blue Belt
Reaction score
that is the thing with a metal cane. they will stop and check it, but with a wood cane i have never heard of any of my fellow hapkidoist getting stoped and asked about the cane.

hapkenkido

Blue Belt
Reaction score
in a seminar with GM Shuey from canemasters he told of one of the guys that was in the same seminar went to a thing for prez Bush. security took his a small knife or finger nail clippers i cant remember, but never asked about the cane. he meet and shook hands with the prez.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Moo Sul Kwan Hapkido is very prevelent in it's trainging content. We have a ton of techniqes in cane. I walk with a 2 and 1/2 think heart word cane and well it suits me very fine.