The burden is on the Student!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was just checking the latest post on Haris's thread, Lone Wing Chun practitioner needs help!!! when I got a call from a prospective student asking about my classes. I told him about my class at the Y and my private group at the park... all strictly non-commercial and very cheap. Still, his first question was whether there was any way he could train for free... say by offering to be an assistant instructor and "helping me teach"?!?. All this before he even visited a class!!! I told him to show up, train hard and "maybe we can work something out". It's a sure bet he'll never show.

Same thing for Haris over on what has now become a 21+ page thread. We've all told him that he needs to contact a real-live instructor. So what's his last reply? He located a potential instructor in Turkey but hadn't contacted him yet. Why not? He's got time to make videos of his horrendous technique and post it here, but he doesn't have time to email, text, call, or send a letter to find out if this instructor is even available?

News flash: Most of us were not fortunate enough to live next to Mr. Miyagi. We had to make some effort and track down a qualified instructor in our chosen art, and then make some real sacrifices to get to class and pay for our instruction. It isn't easy, and it isn't fair. Some folks have it easier than others. But that's life. The burden is on the student. And I'm getting tired of "students" who don't get that.

My rant for today! --Geezer

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great post Geezer. I agree with you 100 percent, the burden is on the student. As everyone who teaches finds out, there is always someone who wants something for nothing. I tell them if I just gave it to you, then you wouldn't appreciate it as much and wouldn't find the true beauty and effectiveness of the art. Plus, paying for lessons, be it a monthly tuition or private lessons, is a way of showing your sifu that you are dedicated and really want what teachings they have to offer.

Colibri

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Agreed (to a point). I had to wait 3-4 years to start training but it was up to me eventually, I could have started earlier but I just didn't contact the Sifu. I regret not starting sooner. The only thing I think is a bit unnecessary here is the rant about Harris and his thread - it's a bit bad form to single him out (in my opinion).

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Everything sifu says is true. Asking for free lessons and offering to be an assistant instructor without ever having met the teacher is retarded to me. The instructor is offering his time and effort at a non commercial kwoon already basically being payed more by seeing dedicated students than making any money from teaching. I drive almost an hour one way sometimes just to train and its made me appreciate what i've been taught even more. It's crazy to me that the guy had the nerve to even call and ask that.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agreed (to a point). I had to wait 3-4 years to start training but it was up to me eventually, I could have started earlier but I just didn't contact the Sifu. I regret not starting sooner. The only thing I think is a bit unnecessary here is the rant about Harris and his thread - it's a bit bad form to single him out (in my opinion).

Yeah, you have a point about singling out Haris. In his defense, I get the feeling that he's sincere, but just in a bind... being so far away from any instructors. I think he said he was in Pakistan? I guess I meant this more as a motivational "kick in the pants" rather than to slam him for trying on his own.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rant on, brother. Pure truth.

Reaction score
Lol ...okay... But in all fairness i am different from that student in a certain way , i donot mind paying an instructor ... secondly ... Okay Sure , i'm sending the email so lets see what the response is.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
my argument several years ago....we just happened to be friends as well as co-workers..
that made it worse....there was this...sort of.... expectation,which never came to fruition,only to result in.....this guy joining up with the Wah Lum temple out of Orlando,only to realize that yes this is hard work,no I(friend) did not appreciate what you taught me because..I wasn't paying.Now he wants back in.. Should I let Him in? Hmmm? maybe,since he learned the hard way.actually I told him to stay the course,he said it was too expensive.....WTF? Man I guess this is why you should never employ friends or relatives?

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
my argument several years ago....we just happened to be friends as well as co-workers..
that made it worse....there was this...sort of.... expectation,which never came to fruition,only to result in.....this guy joining up with the Wah Lum temple out of Orlando,only to realize that yes this is hard work,no I(friend) did not appreciate what you taught me because..I wasn't paying.Now he wants back in.. Should I let Him in? Hmmm? maybe,since he learned the hard way.actually I told him to stay the course,he said it was too expensive.....WTF? Man I guess this is why you should never employ friends or relatives?

I get the gist of your post but the way you wrote it makes it pretty hard to comprehend.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
B-b-bbut, why would you need to actually *Learn* a Martial Art to be able to help out Instructing?

Thats just silly.

In all seriousness, People can be quite Ignorant.
You dont even need to track down a lordly Master of your chosen Art.
You just need someone who knows what theyre doing and knows how to Teach.

People Overcomplicate things.
And as for Paying; Ask for Free Classes after youve been there for a few Months. And make it Short Term. Im pretty sure if I went in and asked for a free Month of Training, id get it. But I wouldnt.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally don't think you should single Harris out, he's trying to learn by coming on here but your post reminds me about the youth of today, a majority of them want something for nothing and want it now.

Latest Discussions