The 'brush block' in Wansu kata

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is not my video, but it demonstrates the 'brush' block seen in the Isshinryu version of Wansu kata.

At roughly 16 seconds in, you see the first such block.

For someone accustomed to the more traditional low, medium, and high blocks, it may seem strange at first, but it is loaded with potential applications and to me, it is a delight to work. It utilizes body shifting, unconventional stances, and seeks strategic openings in the opponent's defenses.

It begins by stepping forward and using an open hand block with the right, as if one were signalling someone to stop. The basic application for this is that it blocks a straight punch to the head by intercepting and deflecting it to the attacker's left; it can be used to deflect a punch from either side, as the block crosses the defender's center.

In the basic application, the attacker, having had their punch deflected with the open hand, immediately fires off another straight punch to the head. This is when the open-handed block is used to 'sweep' towards the defender's left shoulder.

The sweep can be used for a variety of purposes, whether or not the attacker actually threw a punch that needed to be deflected with it. Note that as the sweep moves, the defender extends their left hand about belt-high towards the attacker. In the basic application, this would grasp the attacker by the belt, clothing, roll of fat, etc, and immediately, the defender steps to the right with the left leg, getting off the fight line and taking a non-common hook or kake dachi stance. See the stance below - I am just referring to the feet, not the position of the karateka's arms in this photo (not my photo):

Kake-Dachi_L.jpg

This stance is excellent, in my opinion, because it gives a stable base to pull or avoid being pulled. Try it sometime; take the stance, sink into it so that both knees are slightly bent, and have someone take your arm and pull you off-balance. If you resist by allowing the knee of the leg in back to press into the back of the knee in front, and accept the pulling motion as a way to tighten the stance, you can be quite stable from that direction.

Now, consider that as you stepped into the hook stance, you had hold of the attacker's belt, roll of fat, whatever you could grab with your left hand. You sink into your stance and pull that arm towards you. This should have the effect of pulling the attacker towards you and off-balance, since you are pulling from one of their balance points.

At that moment, strike. Left hand pulls, right hand punches. To punch, of course, the right hand, which had been in a sweeping gesture over the left shoulder, has to return. There is much opportunity here to use it for a variety of things.

Since the hand is open, it can be used to chop the neck if it is within range. If the attacker's head and neck are not close enough, the open hand can be closed into a hammer fist and used on basically anything in range, including any attempts the attacker makes to punch again, as a block, but a 'bang' style block, which immediately bounces into a punch of its own.

However, if you just take the sweeping block illustrated in the video above at 16 seconds in, and reinterpret it as a block / strike / strike with no other parts of the kata used, it's pretty sweet. Punch comes in, you cross your right towards your left shoulder to block or parry it. At the same time, your own left becomes a straight punch to the kidneys, solar plexus, hip / balance point, or etc. The point is that it is a low punch, and it moves at the same time as the block.

This also takes you into a cross-armed kamae position, with your right arm raised and your left arm lowered, crossing slightly on the left side. From here, you can block up, center, or down in an x-type block or strike. You can unload the cocked right hand as a hammer or a chop anywhere it fits, such as a hammer to the temple or nose, a chop to the side of the neck, and the moment you unload that right hand, you're now in a kamae to the right side, still protecting yourself.

I love to play with this part of the kata. People talk about the 'secret' moves in karate. These are not secrets, because I am certain they have all been explored, tested, modified, tested again, and passed on to many students in many styles over the years. They are secrets only in that if you don't get them taught to you, or don't explore and discover them on your own, they are as good as being secrets.

Here is an example of the 'brush block' being used in a slightly different way, note the strike with the left hand instead of a 'grab' of a belt, etc.

mqdefault.jpg

And again:

mqdefault.jpg

Here's a nice video, we see it again at 27 seconds in:

Look what he does at 28 seconds as a followup to the deflected strike!

Anyway, it goes on and one what you can do with this one defensive move in one kata.

Comments welcome, as always. These are not my videos or my photos - just posting examples found on the web.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not my video, but it demonstrates the 'brush' block seen in the Isshinryu version of Wansu kata.

At roughly 16 seconds in, you see the first such block.

For someone accustomed to the more traditional low, medium, and high blocks, it may seem strange at first, but it is loaded with potential applications and to me, it is a delight to work. It utilizes body shifting, unconventional stances, and seeks strategic openings in the opponent's defenses.

It begins by stepping forward and using an open hand block with the right, as if one were signalling someone to stop. The basic application for this is that it blocks a straight punch to the head by intercepting and deflecting it to the attacker's left; it can be used to deflect a punch from either side, as the block crosses the defender's center.

In the basic application, the attacker, having had their punch deflected with the open hand, immediately fires off another straight punch to the head. This is when the open-handed block is used to 'sweep' towards the defender's left shoulder.

The sweep can be used for a variety of purposes, whether or not the attacker actually threw a punch that needed to be deflected with it. Note that as the sweep moves, the defender extends their left hand about belt-high towards the attacker. In the basic application, this would grasp the attacker by the belt, clothing, roll of fat, etc, and immediately, the defender steps to the right with the left leg, getting off the fight line and taking a non-common hook or kake dachi stance. See the stance below - I am just referring to the feet, not the position of the karateka's arms in this photo (not my photo):

Kake-Dachi_L.jpg

This stance is excellent, in my opinion, because it gives a stable base to pull or avoid being pulled. Try it sometime; take the stance, sink into it so that both knees are slightly bent, and have someone take your arm and pull you off-balance. If you resist by allowing the knee of the leg in back to press into the back of the knee in front, and accept the pulling motion as a way to tighten the stance, you can be quite stable from that direction.

Now, consider that as you stepped into the hook stance, you had hold of the attacker's belt, roll of fat, whatever you could grab with your left hand. You sink into your stance and pull that arm towards you. This should have the effect of pulling the attacker towards you and off-balance, since you are pulling from one of their balance points.

At that moment, strike. Left hand pulls, right hand punches. To punch, of course, the right hand, which had been in a sweeping gesture over the left shoulder, has to return. There is much opportunity here to use it for a variety of things.

Since the hand is open, it can be used to chop the neck if it is within range. If the attacker's head and neck are not close enough, the open hand can be closed into a hammer fist and used on basically anything in range, including any attempts the attacker makes to punch again, as a block, but a 'bang' style block, which immediately bounces into a punch of its own.

However, if you just take the sweeping block illustrated in the video above at 16 seconds in, and reinterpret it as a block / strike / strike with no other parts of the kata used, it's pretty sweet. Punch comes in, you cross your right towards your left shoulder to block or parry it. At the same time, your own left becomes a straight punch to the kidneys, solar plexus, hip / balance point, or etc. The point is that it is a low punch, and it moves at the same time as the block.

This also takes you into a cross-armed kamae position, with your right arm raised and your left arm lowered, crossing slightly on the left side. From here, you can block up, center, or down in an x-type block or strike. You can unload the cocked right hand as a hammer or a chop anywhere it fits, such as a hammer to the temple or nose, a chop to the side of the neck, and the moment you unload that right hand, you're now in a kamae to the right side, still protecting yourself.

I love to play with this part of the kata. People talk about the 'secret' moves in karate. These are not secrets, because I am certain they have all been explored, tested, modified, tested again, and passed on to many students in many styles over the years. They are secrets only in that if you don't get them taught to you, or don't explore and discover them on your own, they are as good as being secrets.

Here is an example of the 'brush block' being used in a slightly different way, note the strike with the left hand instead of a 'grab' of a belt, etc.

mqdefault.jpg

And again:

mqdefault.jpg

Here's a nice video, we see it again at 27 seconds in:

Look what he does at 28 seconds as a followup to the deflected strike!

Anyway, it goes on and one what you can do with this one defensive move in one kata.

Comments welcome, as always. These are not my videos or my photos - just posting examples found on the web.
We call that a "push block". It's a favorite of mine.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is an example of an application more "flushed out" in a kata. But, if you look at all of the chambering motions in kihon, they include these "brush blocks" or parries.

For example, if I take my right hand and chamber it to my left side for an inward shuto, that chamber can be used as an outward parry to a right straight punch coming in and then the hand is already in position to strike the attacker's right side of the neck.

It's amazing how much is in the kata that gets overlooked.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an example of an application more "flushed out" in a kata. But, if you look at all of the chambering motions in kihon, they include these "brush blocks" or parries.

For example, if I take my right hand and chamber it to my left side for an inward shuto, that chamber can be used as an outward parry to a right straight punch coming in and then the hand is already in position to strike the attacker's right side of the neck.

I would argue (and often have done so) that it's not things in kata being overlooked (assuming that's the intent behind them being there), but a matter of using kata as a template (not a source). There are movements in kata that may never have been meant for the use they are put to today. That's perfectly okay - kata is still a good way to reference those movements.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Lower body block, gedan barai, same thing. The initial cross prior to blocking low can also be this brush or block.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would argue (and often have done so) that it's not things in kata being overlooked (assuming that's the intent behind them being there), but a matter of using kata as a template (not a source). There are movements in kata that may never have been meant for the use they are put to today. That's perfectly okay - kata is still a good way to reference those movements.

I think its a little bit of both. I tend to view the traditional kata as a mnemonic device to help remembering a wide variety of applications, concepts and ideas. I have used this analogy before, but "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" is a device used to teach children the order of operations in basic math. Now let's say years from now this phrase is found and looked at out of context. Those researching our past may assume that it is an expression to teach etiquette or manners to young children and miss its function. Going back to kata, I don't think that they had a specific application in each case. I think that they had multiple applications that they movements would help a person remember, or a movement represented a concept or idea to be applied and flushed out and wasn't limited to just one application.

In the previous example I gave, I think that this is one of the basic things that were not taught to US serviceman bringing back karate to America. Their understanding, at the time, was kata was ONLY block,kick,punch and there were no grappling applications, throws etc. Now, there is more open communication and people are starting to learn the more in depth study of kata. At the same time, I think there is a lot of movements that are created from looking at kata that don't even really bear a passing resemblance of the moves they are supposed to be applications for. It seems that they are trying to justify an application that they like and try to say its traditional.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me, I first see a circular block. One of the advantages of the circular block is that often you can continue into another move without having to stop and begin again. That saves time and allows for more speed and power into whatever next move you wish to execute. Note in your first video the person at the end of the larger circular motion you referred to, makes a smaller circular motion into the next move. A little quicker and more powerful than stopping and restarting.

BTW, it is "only" a kata, but he seems to me to be making the circular block awfully slowly. That block at that angle can also be an effective kick block, with the other hand used to attack the leg itself, such as a pressure point, deep muscle strike, or knee cap.

Thanks for the thread. I don't think a lot of arts use that block. It can be quite a surprise to an opponent.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, in the Hapkido I studied, in the joint lock shown in your last video, we would simply take the opponent to the ground and deliver a strike to the head, probably a back fist. I would note, that if it is desired to use continuing strikes, being a big fan of his, Master Ken would tell you the move isn't complete until you continue rolling the opponent over, and kicking him in an unmentionable place; twice.;)

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you

1. "block" your opponent's arm, he will punch you again.
2. "wrap" your opponent's arm, he can't punch you any more.

IMO, 2 > 1.
Block is easier than wrap. Wrap is more durable than block. Which is better depends upon the situation, and what I do right after it.