The BJJ attitude

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
JDenz said:
I don't think it is a BJJ attitude more of a MA attitude. Seems like everyone on both sides think what they do is better or equal to what the other does. Since the only way to ever know for sure is to actully duke it out no one will ever know probably. On a side note maybe every 5-6 months martial talk should set up a fighting circuit and let it's users battle it out in a caged tennis court or something.
Yes, yes of course. In some form of cage. We could have a number of different fighters from different styles in few or no rules battles. The results would be interesting. But how many sides would it have? We could call it...the hexagon? No, that's not it. The pentagon? The sexagon? It's right on the tip of my tongue.

(for those too dense to understand sarcasm, www.ufc.tv)

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hedgehogey said:
Yes, yes of course. In some form of cage. We could have a number of different fighters from different styles in few or no rules battles. The results would be interesting. But how many sides would it have? We could call it...the hexagon? No, that's not it. The pentagon? The sexagon? It's right on the tip of my tongue.

(for those too dense to understand sarcasm, www.ufc.tv)

Good idea, but we have to let the filipino martial arts practitioners bring their knives, sticks and swords :jedi1: . Lets see, BJJ guard tactics vs. Sayoc Kali 3 of 9 template tactics :whip: . I would pay to see that fight. I'm too much of a wuss to participate myself, mind you :uhyeah: , but I would still like to watch.

Jon

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
That'd be good too! We could have a seperate division where the truly hardcore could fight with sticks and other weapons. That's hardcore animal stuff, so they could name themselves after an animal. Let's see...the cat sisters? No, that doesn't quite fit...The Gorilla cousins? The wolf uncles? It's just on the tip of my tongue...

(once again, for the dense, http://www.dogbrothers.com/ , all guys who train in "BJJ guard tactics")

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Still though, I find it humorous that people will coin that the Koryu Jujutsu styles are not effective or were never effective, since they were used as methods of war. But I can see where they are coming from. I just wish THEY could see the other side.

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hedgehogey said:
That'd be good too! We could have a seperate division where the truly hardcore could fight with sticks and other weapons. That's hardcore animal stuff, so they could name themselves after an animal. Let's see...the cat sisters? No, that doesn't quite fit...The Gorilla cousins? The wolf uncles? It's just on the tip of my tongue...

(once again, for the dense, http://www.dogbrothers.com/ , all guys who train in "BJJ guard tactics")

Haven't heard of anyone doing "Real contact Knife Fighting" Though :jedi1: .
:boing2:

Besides, having weapons fighters only fight weapons fighters is a little too close to fairplay in my book. My favorite qoute from a martial arts and tactics instructor is "Cheat first, Cheat last, and Cheat in the middle, too". Or the other slogan, " If you're in a fair fight, you didn't prepare well enough".

Jon

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In all seriousness though,

Is the BJJ attitude really different from the attitude that some JKDers had right before the BJJ craze hit. I remember how some JKDers seemed compelled to tell every TMA about how they were bound by forms and the limits of their art. It is the same stuff, just different practitioners.

Jon

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
mcjon77 said:

Besides, having weapons fighters only fight weapons fighters is a little too close to fairplay in my book. My favorite qoute from a martial arts and tactics instructor is "Cheat first, Cheat last, and Cheat in the middle, too". Or the other slogan, " If you're in a fair fight, you didn't prepare well enough".

Jon
The dog brothers do all that.

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
mcjon77 said:

Jon
hedgehogey said:
The dog brothers do all that.
The dog brothers do real contact knife fighting? You're serious? Who told you that? Now if you are telling me that the dog brothers go full contact with real knives (not flow drills) I've got to call BS on that one. Getting hit in the ribs with a real stick is one thing, taking a slash to the ribs with a real knife is another. Not saying that what the dog brothers do isn't intense, I'm just doubting that they did "real contact knife fighting" the way they do "real contact stick fighting". I mentioned real contact knife fighting in my previous post, because only an idiot would do that with real knives. I've heard of people doing flow drills with real knives, but real contact knife fighting? Come on now.

Jon

Jon

grappling_mandala

Green Belt
Reaction score
mcjon77 said:
The dog brothers do real contact knife fighting? You're serious? Who told you that? Now if you are telling me that the dog brothers go full contact with real knives (not flow drills) I've got to call BS on that one. Getting hit in the ribs with a real stick is one thing, taking a slash to the ribs with a real knife is another. Not saying that what the dog brothers do isn't intense, I'm just doubting that they did "real contact knife fighting" the way they do "real contact stick fighting". I mentioned real contact knife fighting in my previous post, because only an idiot would do that with real knives. I've heard of people doing flow drills with real knives, but real contact knife fighting? Come on now.

Jon

Jon

The dog brothers simulate knives at their gathering of the pack with some rather hard, knife replicas that HURT if you get hit. Watch any of their gathering of the pack tournaments and you will see that functional alive form wins out over 'fancy' a lot of the time. Those videos are AWESOME they should be mandatory viewing when anyone thinks their ready to start 'weapon training'... they have wicked grappling techniques with sticks too.

I think the bjj attitude is mainly because of their 'alive' training. ALL THE TIME. Other arts say, well this works, and this works, and the bjj guys are actually willing to say, do it on me and see if it works. That un-nerves a lot of people, they arn't willing to actually 'DO' martial art in a way that seems UNCONTROLED. Most bjj guys will get an attitude with someone who says they KNOW something, but it's to dangerous to perform or someone will die. BJJ guys want to FEEL what you know.

Then again, i know the 2 year blue belts mentioned who are willing to chip teeth to get people to tap and are complete a-holes... there are those too... i just don't train with them.

Dave

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
grappling_mandala said:
I think the bjj attitude is mainly because of their 'alive' training. ALL THE TIME. Other arts say, well this works, and this works, and the bjj guys are actually willing to say, do it on me and see if it works. That un-nerves a lot of people, they arn't willing to actually 'DO' martial art in a way that seems UNCONTROLED. Most bjj guys will get an attitude with someone who says they KNOW something, but it's to dangerous to perform or someone will die. BJJ guys want to FEEL what you know.
Dave
I have a friend in Ecuador that trains in BJJ and just joined DKI he also has the let me feel it attitude, but I believe that it is the demeanor that some come at you, rather than them asking to feel the technique. As JP is very respectful when he asks.

Best Regards
PPKO:EG: :ticked: :waah:

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
The "knives" used in Dog Brother competitions are aluminum trainers. Some will use wooden replicas if both agree. Much of what they do is silat based, although they also use a great deal of Pekiti-Tirsia, Lacoste/Inosanto Kali and yes, even BJJ when stickgrappling.

Nice bunch of guys.

T

tmanifold

Other arts say, well this works, and this works, and the bjj guys are actually willing to say, do it on me and see if it works.

Or if you do it with out telling them, they complain that you cheated. They wanted to know its coming. I don't doubt that a really good wreslter or Bjjer can defend an eye poke or bite when they are watching for it.
It isn't alive training. Judo trains alive and the arrogance that is common in BJJ is not common in Judo. OR at least as common. Like I said, it is the newness factor. Not just the relative newness of BJJ and Mixed Martial arts but the relative newness of the practiitioners. In my experience, the loudest are the people who have been doing this kind of stuff for less than 2 years. Many of the RBSD or Combatives crowd (and many of the TMA crowd) started with judo or wrestling. Also, the typical BJJ or submission fighter is relatively young when compared to the typical combatives, RBSD or TMA practitioner. The brashness is more likely to come from a young guy than an older person.

Then again, i know the 2 year blue belts mentioned who are willing to chip teeth to get people to tap
I know RBSD people that will do the same thing to get through a drill. That can be a good thing for them. It can be a bummer to their partner who is trying to learn though.

"Cheat first, Cheat last, and Cheat in the middle, too". Or the other slogan, " If you're in a fair fight, you didn't prepare well enough"
Two slogans to live by IMO.

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All good stuff, tmanifold. In a fight there is several attitudes. if you remain passive (the goal of most martial arts) your opponent thinks maybe you are weak, and will not expect you to be able to defend yourself. once a fight is initiated, then you see your BJJ and boxing stuff. however, BJJ practitioners like to say that 90% of all fights go to the ground. A recent survey of "street fights" done in Black belt Magazine showed that only 36% of fights go to the ground and that 21% of that were with drunks. it also showed that most street fights typically ended in under 10 seconds. Now how many MMA fights do you see end in 7 seconds or so? (2, I can think of). Another thing, the survey showed that most fights involve some kind of expedient weapon. glass, bat, knife, etc.

I know RBSD people that will do the same thing to get through a drill. That can be a good thing for them. It can be a bummer to their partner who is trying to learn though
A girl in my Aikijutsu class had her collarbone broken in class and came back less than 3 months later so she could finish her technique.

Other arts say, well this works, and this works, and the bjj guys are actually willing to say, do it on me and see if it works.
Like I said before, They already know it works or has worked in the past. these techniques were'nt created overnight. most older martial arts were created when hand to hand combat was necessary.

Most bjj guys will get an attitude with someone who says they KNOW something, but it's to dangerous to perform or someone will die. BJJ guys want to FEEL what you know.
So they want to die? jk.

Cheers,
Kyle

Fight with attitude

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been to a BJJ school once. Some of the people were very nice, others wouldn't even look at me or say hi because I was new.

That dojo is night and day different to the dojo I train at now which has a lot of grappling, everyone helps out everyone.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fwa, welcome to the board! Have a look around, and enjoy your stay
icon7.gif

Nice to see another Canadian here.

:CTF:

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
JDenz said:
How many people have you poked in the eye?

Just one. He was questioning my ability to remove him from the bar I was working in. I was about 70kgs (155lbs) at the time, and he was around 100 (220lbs). He grabbed me. I put my right thumb in his left eye. He let go of me. He left the bar.

It works ok.

Latest Discussions