The "better to die on your feet" thread

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually to draw and giving the attacker a second or two to change his mind in my opinion will help you legally. If I can honestly say I presented my firearm to the suspect and told him to stop and even with a gun pointed at him he still charged at me I had no choice he was going to kill me he didn't even care I had a gun.

"The threat was so immediate, I didn't have time to offer the attacker a moment to surrender, nor was I trained to do that."

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"The threat was so immediate, I didn't have time to offer the attacker a moment to surrender, nor was I trained to do that."
which will be twisted to the victim was going to get into a simple fist fight and without warning out of nowhere Mr Mattocks pulled out a,hidden high capacity clipped assult ghost pistol and fired in cold blood. No warning no chance for the victim to give up

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
which will be twisted to the victim was going to get into a simple fist fight and without warning out of nowhere Mr Mattocks pulled out a,hidden high capacity clipped assult ghost pistol and fired in cold blood. No warning no chance for the victim to give up

Was the 'reasonable man' standard met? Case dismissed.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in a perfect world perhaps. A Jury is a funny thing

I do not believe it would get to that point for a criminal trial. It should not even be prosecuted as a crime, although nothing can stop a civil trial attorney from bringing up all those questions.

But I believe those questions get raised regardless. If you gave him a second to reflect before firing, you'll be asked why not two seconds? If you gave a warning, why did you not give two warnings, or three? If you had time to pause, why didn't you have time to aim for his legs or shoot the gun out of his hand? And so on and so forth.

My response is 'no time'. As demonstrated by the fact that I drew and fired without pause. I had no time to do anything else, the need to defend my life was immediate. Relatives of the deceased will always claim I could have done some other thing rather than shoot their loved one directly in the chest. Lawyers will always try to suppose ridiculous scenarios to a jury. It's up to my defense attorney to beat those nonsensical arguments down. Was the standard met? Was Mr. Mattocks in deadly peril? So why are we here?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that presenting self defense situations as EITHER draw and fire OR withdraw is a false dichotomy. I can envision several scenarios where I would (as a CCW) be legally justified in drawing while retreating.

If someone confronts me with a knife outside of "Tueller Range" I am certainly gonna leave the area. But that doesn't mean that I have to be behind the curve with a holstered weapon while I do so.....

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just to keep the conversation going...not that I recommend doing it or even considering it as a training issue.....

Citizens Arrest.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which is why my decision tree is ingrained in my training.

What I don't understand is why you are forcing a situation where you have to make a snap judgement. My experience with violence is if at all possible you want to create time and space to make reasoned decisions.

Latest Discussions