The ability to defend

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Its very impressive to me that you know what most systems that exist do. I dont think i even know what most schools in my main style do. Or even the namea of most of the kenpo/kempo schools, never mind their systems. That must have taken you a lot of research and study.

lol yea it did. That's the conclusions i came to. They might have varying degrees of differences in training methods. They might have different techniques, philosophies, etc. Overall, it's the same old formula for teaching self defense.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
lol yea it did. That's the conclusions i came to. They might have varying degrees of differences in training methods. They might have different techniques, philosophies, etc. Overall, it's the same old formula for teaching self defense.
No...just no

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Obviously, since you're asking people to give you money, you must be a self defense expert with impressive credentials that allow you to understand self defense better than anyone else. Care to share those credentials, or are we expected to just take your word that you know what you're talking about?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Obviously, since you're asking people to give you money, you must be a self defense expert with impressive credentials that allow you to understand self defense better than anyone else. Care to share those credentials, or are we expected to just take your word that you know what you're talking about?
I believe it's the second option lol

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Question and opinion. Is it the art form the person takes, the self defense system or the core belief the person has about themselves and their ability to defend that has the real impact.

I have had students with beautiful technique, power, balance and execution who would not survive an attack, and others with much less skill I would never worry about.

Yes there is a combination here, but what carries the most weight in your opinion?

The best test is to put on safety gear and spar for knockouts to really find out where one stands. Start with no strikes to the head. Then later, allow strikes to the head.

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Let's see.

I started practicing martial arts since 2013 and improving since then.

I taught several students in self defense. They live in areas like Michigan, Israel, and the Middle east. I'm about to get more in areas like Chicago and possibly Texas.

I sparred with people before. Check my channel to hear some stories.

Pretty good resume. Subscribe to my channel if you like it.

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Let's see.

I taught several students in self defense. They live in areas like Michigan, Israel, and the Middle east. I'm about to get more in areas like Chicago and possibly Texas.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see.

None of that is high marks. It doesn't mean you can't teach well, but put it in perspective. I got my black belt in my primary art 10 years before you started training (and more than 10 years after I started in that art). And there are folks here who got their first BB before I started my MA journey. I've probably taught self-defense to a couple hundred people, and that's a small number. Some of the folks here have years of security, door work, and law-enforcement experience where they put their MA skills to use.

I consider myself a MA lightweight next to some of the folks here, so I'm not talking myself up. And remember that none of this means you can't offer a good product/service. But know where you are in your journey, and don't let yourself become convinced you've found answers others have missed. I've yet to find anyone who knew something a bunch of other people didn't also know.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Let's see.

"I've trained in JKD, Wing Chun, boxing, weapon disarms, BJJ, and various skills for 8 years. I've sparred to make sure my methods work."

Are you a better instructor than you are at basic math?

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Let's see.

That's pretty much what I thought from your earlier posts. It's good to have confidence in yourself and your abilities. However, it is equally important to be realistic about your knowledge and abilities, and this is where you need to improve yourself, in my opinion. What your self-described "pretty good resume" tells me, is that you've played around with various martial arts for a few years. Since you didn't list any instructors, I am assuming that most of your training has come from videos and seminars, with maybe a few visits to a couple of dojo combined with some sparring with your friends. This means that you have learned just enough to get your feet wet, but you've not learned enough to realize how very much more there is under the surface.

The reality is that you are quite inexperienced, so it's not unusual for you to see what others are doing from a one dimensional viewpoint. The problem that I see is that since you don't understand what is happening below the surface, you are mistakenly thinking that others are not understanding what they're doing rather than you not understanding what they're doing. Not trying to put you down or anything, just trying to empty your cup a little as you seem to have it over filled.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's see.

Wow 5 years that's really impressive obviously with that huge amount of training of course you're an expert ....I hope you can sense the sarcasm.
5 years is barely any time at all when it comes to martial art development. I've got gis that have been in use triple the time you've been training.

You sparred with people before? Um yeah so has pretty much every martial art student and no I won't check out your channel because I'm sure it's full of the same nonsense your posting on here.

Pretty good resume? Well if you say so I'm not talking down on your skills as I don't know you but just reading that doesn't make me think wow this guys a guy I really want to learn off

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's see.

Its not just that these guys are older tham you, so they have more experience then you. Im the same age as you and have been training for 15 more years than you. I still dont consider myself all that experienced...

Latest Discussions