Thanks for all of the comments on fasting guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do lawmakers impose taxes on juices?

Not here, we don't have added sugar in juices just the sugar that is there already. The tax is aimed at getting children off what we call fizzy drinks, children who drink a lot of these don't tend to drink fruit juices/tea/milk etc. It's quite specific, the tax is on the manufacturers who will need to produce drinks with less sugar in not to pay it.
Similar taxes have worked in five other countries, with some methods reducing consumption of fizzy drinks by up to one quarter.

"Mexico, which has one of the world's worst weight problems with a third of adults obese, introduced a 10 per cent sugar tax on sugar-sweetened drinks in 2014. A paper published in the BMJ in January found that sales of fizzy drinks had fallen by 12 per cent in the first year.

In Hungary, the introduction of a tax on companies has led to a 40 per cent reduction in levels of sugar products."
Sugar tax: what does it mean, which drinks will be affected, and will it work?

One thing I don't understand is people saying this is a tax on the poor. There's plenty of drinks around like low sugar/sugar free squashes around ( I assume they have these in US but don't know what you call them). they are cheaper and better for you anyway. why do people think poor people don't want to eat healthily or that they actually don't.

› Why the fizzy drinks tax should be implemented | Oral Health Foundation

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One thing I don't understand is people saying this is a tax on the poor. There's plenty of drinks around like low sugar/sugar free squashes around ( I assume they have these in US but don't know what you call them). they are cheaper and better for you anyway. why do people think poor people don't want to eat healthily or that they actually don't.

In the US, a lot of poor people live in "food deserts." That is, neighborhoods where there isn't a decent supermarket for miles and people are forced to buy food from convenience stores and bodegas. Often, the only options are unhealthy processed foods high in sugar, salt, and fat. It is absurd, but at a convenience store, the best deal if you are thirsty is a huge coke from the machine for $.99. That is how imposing taxes on sugary colas taxes the poor disproportionately here in the US.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not here, we don't have added sugar in juices just the sugar that is there already. The tax is aimed at getting children off what we call fizzy drinks, children who drink a lot of these don't tend to drink fruit juices/tea/milk etc. It's quite specific, the tax is on the manufacturers who will need to produce drinks with less sugar in not to pay it.
Similar taxes have worked in five other countries, with some methods reducing consumption of fizzy drinks by up to one quarter.

"Mexico, which has one of the world's worst weight problems with a third of adults obese, introduced a 10 per cent sugar tax on sugar-sweetened drinks in 2014. A paper published in the BMJ in January found that sales of fizzy drinks had fallen by 12 per cent in the first year.

In Hungary, the introduction of a tax on companies has led to a 40 per cent reduction in levels of sugar products."
Sugar tax: what does it mean, which drinks will be affected, and will it work?

It's a tax on the poor as richer people can afford to pay the extra and carry on drinking their sugary coke and poor people cant,It if they do it's a much higher % of their income

Or the reverce if your sold on the idea, only poor people will get the benefit whilst richer people carry on GETting g fatter

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the US, a lot of poor people live in "food deserts." That is, neighborhoods where there isn't a decent supermarket for miles and people are forced to buy food from convenience stores and bodegas. Often, the only options are unhealthy processed foods high in sugar, salt, and fat. It is absurd, but at a convenience store, the best deal if you are thirsty is a huge coke from the machine for $.99. That is how imposing taxes on sugary colas taxes the poor disproportionately here in the US.
Only option, don't these stores sell vegatables?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've idea what that is, are you saying that poor people can't access veg,to buy, EvEN in tins or frozen, what about rice
I read an article, that said that lots of poor American were eating dog food, which it turned out was more nutritious that a lot of people food, as it contained a lot of liver, which has vitamins not usual found in people meat

Offal generally is very good for you And generally l cheap

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Same question as above, are you claiming that poor American can get access to ANY veg, ? Really they can't walk a mile or two and buy some carrots, I find that hard to believe,

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've No idea what that is, are you saying that poor people can't access veg,to buy, EvEN in tins or frozen, what about rice
Rice they have plenty of, depending on where you're at. In fact it's the only way to get a decent number of food groups.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Same question as above, are you claiming that poor American can get access to ANY veg, ? Really they can't walk a mile or two and buy some carrots, I find that hard to believe,
No, they really can't. It really sucks to be poor in the US. Fresh fruit and vegetables in food deserts are poor quality, and relatively expensive compared to the alternatives.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rice they have plenty of, depending on where you're at. In fact it's the only way to get a decent number of food groups.
People are are making claims, but no follow up, is it impossible to buy veg, if your a poor amercan, even if it involves a bit of a walk, I have to walk tWo miles to buy mine, That doesn't make where I live a good desert,just h Not t conveniently located

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, they really can't. It really sucks to be poor in the US. Fresh fruit and vegetables in food deserts are poor quality, and relatively expensive compared to the alternatives.
So they can buy Veg, then,You said they couldn't now, then can but it's expensive, how much would they pay for a pound of carrots? Or a tIn of peArs

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the issue: in some urban areas, it's not particularly profitable to run a grocery store, so no regular grocery stores show up there. The ones that do, often the produce is significantly more expensive than normal, so no fresh veg. And the stores are small, so often don't stock a wide range, and may have a very limited selection and supply of tinned veggies.

And that may be for a radius of a few miles, in some cases.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are are making claims, but no follow up, is it impossible to buy veg, if your a poor amercan, even if it involves a bit of a walk, I have to walk tWo miles to buy mine, That doesn't make where I live a good desert,just h Not t conveniently located
You also have to factor in health. For someone with health problems (more prevalent in poor families, in the US), a couple of miles walk can be more like a 10-mile walk for you and me. And in these areas, it might involve a walk through a very high-crime area (those tend to go along with the food deserts). It's not a single element, but several, that make a food desert a real problem.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here poor people live of processed food, because it convient or they are to lazy to walk a bit further bUy a pound of carrots, peel them and cook them, just open a few tins Out them in the microwave and complain how poor they are.

I can feed myself quite easily for 2pounds a day and good Food is a lot cheaper in the states than it is here

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's the issue: in some urban areas, it's not particularly profitable to run a grocery store, so no regular grocery stores show up there. The ones that do, often the produce is significantly more expensive than normal, so no fresh veg. And the stores are small, so often don't stock a wide range, and may have a very limited selection and supply of tinned veggies.

And that may be for a radius of a few miles, in some cases.
Well yes, but how many miles, accepting they don't own cars in which case the distance makes no differanc e, saying it's a desert because they won't walk anywhere or get a bus once a week is pushing the point some what

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yes, but how many miles, accepting they don't own cars in which case the distance makes no differanc e, saying it's a desert because they won't walk anywhere or get a bus once a week is pushing the point some what
See my next reply to you for more on that.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You also have to factor in health. For someone with health problems (more prevalent in poor families, in the US), a couple of miles walk can be more like a 10-mile walk for you and me. And in these areas, it might involve a walk through a very high-crime area (those tend to go along with the food deserts). It's not a single element, but several, that make a food desert a real problem.
We have a high crime areas here as well, if your saying people eat badly because it's too dangerous to go out, that one thing, same if their house bound through I'll health. The 85 year old lady next door gets here shopping trolley and walks to the supermarket and that's a two miles round trip, I can't accept that all the poor American are incapable of a walk and or a bus ride to a super narket, not all of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions