Thanks for all of the comments on fasting guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well somebody intimated as much, but I'm still not getting anyone telling what exactly is unhealthy about the 19 incredients, you canT just assume that anY additive e is bad for you, a lot are necessary to stop the product going off or make it look more appealing.

Your home cooked fries are certainly not bad for you, provided you don't attempt to eat your body weight
what kind of evidence would you accept?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
what kind of evidence would you accept?
Well something from an authoritative source saying xXxX is damaging to your health in the dosage included in these frys, not crank web sites and health scare report headline

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You've lost me, I said active male needs 3000 calories and you've given a list of inactive maLess that only need 2000, how is this an argument against my point,

Active people Arnt fat, unless they do it on purpose, as you are , its clear your not active, why your saying other people shouldNt eat MACDs as it's unhea10TH based jusT on yoU being plump i have no idea
I am sorry, but we can't all live up to your standards. Hard to tell, though how fit you are under that clown suit. ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well something from an authoritative source saying xXxX is damaging to your health in the dosage included in these frys, not crank web sites and health scare report headline
okay . I will see what I can dig up .

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sorry, but we can't all live up to your standards. Hard to tell, though how fit you are under that clown suit. ;)
But my point is valid, that something is loaded with calories doesn't make it bad for you, calories are quite important to life, if you eat to much, don't exercise enough that's your fault not the foods

The UK has just introduced a,sugar tax on soda, that means that I have to drink horrible coke, just because some fat guys drink it by the gallon and don't walk any where, how's that fair?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is a list of the ingredients in fast food fries. 19 ingredients in McD's fries. (interestingly, just 3 in Five Guys and In and Out burger) Is it bad for you? Here Is Every Ingredient in Your Favorite Fast Food French Fries

As for eating food cooked in old oil, there are some studies suggesting causes cancer. Hard to pin down since commercially prepared food is ubiquitous these days, so if a person gets cancer, who is to say it was the french fries that caused it.
Men’s Health broke down the nutritional content of the US’s fast food fries and ranked them best to worst.

Five Guys’ fries were the best AND worst :)
How’s that possible? Worst due purely to serving size. Best due from an ounce to ounce comparison. Five Guys’ recipe is simple - potatoes (with skin), peanut oil, and salt.

I love In N Out’s fries. Only had them a few times during a vacation to California. I ordered fries, and the cashier threw a potato to a guy in the back who cut it and threw it in the fryer. None of that frozen in a bag crap.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
But my point is valid, that something is loaded with calories doesn't make it bad for you, calories are quite important to life, if you eat to much, don't exercise enough that's your fault not the foods

The UK has just introduced a,sugar tax on soda, that means that I have to drink horrible coke, just because some fat guys drink it by the gallon and don't walk any where, how's that fair?
You know, people have different body types, and you can knock off the insulting tone towards the overweight. You make it seem like the overweight are completely slothful gluttons. And that isn't the case. If it were, obesity rates would not be rising in both of our countries. My body was built to survive in times when people had to do hard, physical work, and maybe survive a famine or two. Others are built to chase, or run after fast moving animals. So congrats on your genetics, but if an actual famine comes, I might survive an extra month or two after you wither away to nothing.

A lot of things go into why obesity rates are on the rise. Part of it is a sedentary lifestyle, which goes beyond individual choices. Like infrastructure that forces people to drive or take mass transit to work rather than encourage walking or cycling or some other active form of transportation. And jobs that are mostly sedentary.

And the second part is, constant access to cheap, processed, high calorie food.

So what do we do? Graft some exercise onto an otherwise sedentary life, and cut back on the processed high calorie junk food.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Men’s Health broke down the nutritional content of the US’s fast food fries and ranked them best to worst.

Five Guys’ fries were the best AND worst :)
How’s that possible? Worst due purely to serving size. Best due from an ounce to ounce comparison. Five Guys’ recipe is simple - potatoes (with skin), peanut oil, and salt.

I love In N Out’s fries. Only had them a few times during a vacation to California. I ordered fries, and the cashier threw a potato to a guy in the back who cut it and threw it in the fryer. None of that frozen in a bag crap.
The serving size of Five Guys fries is ridiculous. A regular size fries is almost 1,000 calories. Another reason I can't touch that stuff, even though it is comparatively not all that bad unless I can share a single order with r 3 other people. You start out ordering a calorie rich cheeseburger, then put yourself over the top with the fries. The burrito places aren't much better calorie wise. Even though it isn't deep fried, those overstuffed burritos can have over 1,000 calories.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, people have different body types, and you can knock off the insulting tone towards the overweight. You make it seem like the overweight are completely slothful gluttons. And that isn't the case. If it were, obesity rates would not be rising in both of our countries. My body was built to survive in times when people had to do hard, physical work, and maybe survive a famine or two. Others are built to chase, or run after fast moving animals. So congrats on your genetics, but if an actual famine comes, I might survive an extra month or two after you wither away to nothing.

A lot of things go into why obesity rates are on the rise. Part of it is a sedentary lifestyle, which goes beyond individual choices. Like infrastructure that forces people to drive or take mass transit to work rather than encourage walking or cycling or some other active form of transportation. And jobs that are mostly sedentary.

And the second part is, constant access to cheap, processed, high calorie food.

So what do we do? Graft some exercise onto an otherwise sedentary life, and cut back on the processed high calorie junk food.
It was you that said you were over weight, unless you have some metabolism issues, that's a life style choice you've made, just cause there availablE food doesn't mean you have to eat it, and what infrastructure do you need to ride a bike? You don't even need a road

You seem to be one of those blame society people, they have fast food restraunts and no cycle lanes, it's theIr fault iM fat.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It was you that said you were over weight, unless you have some metabolism issues, that's a life style choice you've made, just cause there availablE food doesn't mean you have to eat it, and what infrastructure do you need to ride a bike? You don't even need a road

You seem to be one of those blame society people, they have fast food restraunts and no cycle lanes, it's theIr fault iM fat.
OK, I am done with you. Again, congratulations on your superior physique despite eating your fill of Cola and fast food. :rolleyes:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
;);)
OK, I am done with you. Again, congratulations on your superior physique despite eating your fill of Cola and fast food. :rolleyes:
BIT OF a heat wave today, Popped s down to the town centre in my shorts and gym shark top to show of my lean muscular physique, The girls ignored me, the gay guyss kept giving me the eye, I'm going to have to get rid of this FREedie mercury mustache:):):)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

NYC had some nonsensical laws that I’m not sure if they were repealed or not...

Restaurants could only serve I think 12 oz. max to kids. Adult cups were limited in size too, but I think we’re allowed refills. And they wanted a high tax on soda/sugary drinks like they have on alcohol and tobacco.

Thank former mayor Mike Bloomberg for having government further run everyone’s lives. I’m pretty sure those laws were repealed pretty quickly. But for some reason, NYC and much of NY Sate has a mentality where they need to tell the citizens how to live. Yet the powers that be and their staunch supporters don’t want to abide by their own rules and be left alone.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
NYC had some nonsensical laws that I’m not sure if they were repealed or not...

Restaurants could only serve I think 12 oz. max to kids. Adult cups were limited in size too, but I think we’re allowed refills. And they wanted a high tax on soda/sugary drinks like they have on alcohol and tobacco.

Thank former mayor Mike Bloomberg for having government further run everyone’s lives. I’m pretty sure those laws were repealed pretty quickly. But for some reason, NYC and much of NY Sate has a mentality where they need to tell the citizens how to live. Yet the powers that be and their staunch supporters don’t want to abide by their own rules and be left alone.
Well it's only the beginning here, Scotland has just brought in minimum alcohol pricing, a lot more " heaLTH" taxing to come i fear, which only punished the responsible but does nothing to stop the irresponsible.

The answer is straight forward enough, do people tax code \social security pay out,based on there Body mass rating , that way they leave people like me alone

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's only the beginning here, Scotland has just brought in minimum alcohol pricing, a lot more " heaLTH" taxing to come i fear, which only punished the responsible but does nothing to stop the irresponsible.

The answer is straight forward enough, do people tax code \social security pay out,based on there Body mass rating , that way they leave people like me alone
I'm not at all certain that's straightforward. Do we punish those with thyroid conditions and reward the anorexic (to choose some extreme examples)?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not even close to entirely true. I know people who exercise much more than I do, and eat at least as healthfully, yet are significantly overweight. I've met a triathlete (he has actually done the Ironman) who is visibly overweight enough to make it more than a little surprising to learn he's a triathlete. I remember seeing a TV show about an extreme distance runner (routinely ran 30+ miles) who was technically obese.

I'm gifted with a metabolism that keeps me from being fat. It's not as magical as it once was (lifestyle choices, in my case), but it's still pretty nifty. If you think your metabolism is universal, you're mistaken.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It’s ridiculous the way governments feel they need to parent. Their role should be to educate/warn of potential dangers, not to take away freedom of choice. A “you’ve been warned of the inherent risks” rather than a “you cannot” IMO. But ultimately, I guess it truly comes down to making more money than actually protecting. People are going to drink and smoke regardless of the price and warnings, so might as well tax the hell out of it and look like they’re doing it to curtail the use rather than showing the true cash-grab.

I think I’m bordering on political here, so I’ll duck out now.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not even close to entirely true. I know people who exercise much more than I do, and eat at least as healthfully, yet are significantly overweight. I've met a triathlete (he has actually done the Ironman) who is visibly overweight enough to make it more than a little surprising to learn he's a triathlete. I remember seeing a TV show about an extreme distance runner (routinely ran 30+ miles) who was technically obese.

I'm gifted with a metabolism that keeps me from being fat. It's not as magical as it once was (lifestyle choices, in my case), but it's still pretty nifty. If you think your metabolism is universal, you're mistaken.
d.

I did say unless you have metabolism issuSE, most people have a metabolism that stops them from being over weight, if they eat and exercise in the correct proportion,

Finding a fat triathelete is some what unusual , so unusual that it's clearly a defect with him. By it has nothing to do with healthy eating, you can over eat with healthy foods, and you have no idea what they are eating, fat people like alcoholics always lie

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was introduced because children were drinking soft drinks with too much sugar in, if the parents don't take any notice then someone has to stop the kids teeth rotting and getting diabetes ( and before Americans start shouting nanny state, remember kids get free dental care here paid for by the rest of us, which is fine until the parents are costing us a fortune as well as diabetes costing the country millions every year). the money made from this tax is going back into children's health with emphasis on healthy eating and more physical exercise.
"There are nine teaspoons of sugar in a 330ml can of cola, instantly taking children above their recommended maximum for the day. A five year old should have no more than 19g of sugar in a day, but a typical can of cola can have 35g. Public health experts from the Chief Medical Officer to the British Heart Foundation agree that sugar-sweetened soft drinks are a major source of sugar for children and teenagers, and that sugar intake drives obesity."

Soft Drinks Industry Levy: 12 things you should know

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It was introduced because children were drinking soft drinks with too much sugar in, if the parents don't take any notice then someone has to stop the kids teeth rotting and getting diabetes ( and before Americans start shouting nanny state, remember kids get free dental care here paid for by the rest of us, which is fine until the parents are costing us a fortune as well as diabetes costing the country millions every year). the money made from this tax is going back into children's health with emphasis on healthy eating and more physical exercise.
"There are nine teaspoons of sugar in a 330ml can of cola, instantly taking children above their recommended maximum for the day. A five year old should have no more than 19g of sugar in a day, but a typical can of cola can have 35g. Public health experts from the Chief Medical Officer to the British Heart Foundation agree that sugar-sweetened soft drinks are a major source of sugar for children and teenagers, and that sugar intake drives obesity."

Soft Drinks Industry Levy: 12 things you should know
I recognize the problem, and despite what guys like Jobo say, I never drink regular colas, and rarely drink diet colas.

The problem with the government imposing taxes on cola, is, it is under inclusive, and that any effort to be comprehensive will be cumbersome to say the least. The fact is, juices have high amounts of sugar, yet the same companies that sell colas also sell juices to children. Do lawmakers impose taxes on juices?

What I am all for is transparency on menus so people know what they are eating and can make informed choices about what, and how much they put in their mouths. And that is something where, at least here in the US, things have gotten better in recent years, at least as far as chain restaurants are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions