Tested under protest

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was so angry with Master D. I had declined the last scheduled belt test in March because I believed that I was not ready yet; then took a month off due to shoulder stress. When I came back two weeks ago, his assistant instructor informed me that I would be demoted if I didn't show up to the makeup test in two weeks...!!!! So I stressed and stewed about it until testing day. But in the end, what decided me was that there was another student testing for the same belt level who would test alone if I didn't show. I wouldn't want that to be my fate, so I told myself I was showing up for his sake and prayed that I wouldn't embarass myself too much.

Well hobgobbs...I passed! Now I am a Green Belt. And I only embarassed myself a little bit.:p

Is it possible that my instructor knows my skills better than I do?

So tell us your accidental testing stories.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You are always your hardest critic. Yes, your instructor knows your skill level or he wouldnt have you testing in the first place. So, enjoy your new rank.

CONGRATS!

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tanemura sensei sometimes says: you and you; checktest. Now. :)
I am of the opinion that 'sensei knows best'. If sensei says you test, then you test. Sure, you may have nerves, or think that you are not ready, but your sensei is the person with umpteen times more experience and knowledge than you. Who are you to say that he is wrong? If sensei says jump, you don't even ask how high. You jump and if it was not high enough, he'll tell you to jump higher.

For my last belt test with my previous sensei, I showed up at class and noticed a number of black belt sensei from sister dojos (dojo run by other former students of my sensei's sensei). I thought this was odd, but sometimes one or 2 of them came over to practice so it was not inconceivable. I thought nothing more of it until the beginning of class. After bowing in, the sensei said 'ok the rest of you start warming up and sensei X will take you through the rest of the class. Bruno, you test for 3d kyu' After that I had the 2 most intense hours (in terms of someone trying to break me) I've ever had.

Honestly, it was the right call for him to make. At that point in my life I trained my entire curriculum on a daily basis. There was no doubt that I would ace the technical part of the exam. That wouldn't have been much of a test for me. By springing the exam on me and testing me for 2 full hours, he was giving me a real test: would I be able to deal with the stress, and would he be able to break me. And I can proudly say I handled the stress well and he was unable to make me collapse (although at the end I was near that point and I hung on just out of stubbornness).

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor told us he didn't even know he was testing for his red belt (last belt before black) until his instructor handed him his belt at the end of the workout.

He thought he was just being asked to demonstrate all his techniques for the class ...

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations.

We once had to trick a guy into testing, asking him to come and serve as uke for two other students going for the same rank. He had very good skills, but some odd sense of propriety that made him think six months in rank wasn't nearly enough....

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was once 'invited' to test with the head of our system. Being insecure, I decided against it at the time, not realizing that it might be the last time I'd get the opportunity.

My teacher was asked to help test at a friend's dojo a few weeks ago, and I was invited to come along for the ride. We train kobudo informally, no dogi and no testing, but it was suggested that I wear a gi in case I was asked to help out. After six years, I still didn't have one, and had to run around to find one last minute. When asked if I had a belt to wear, I waved the white one that came with the gi, and my teacher said, 'No. You'll wear a brown one.' That was it.

I was so angry with Master D. I had declined the last scheduled belt test in March because I believed that I was not ready yet; then took a month off due to shoulder stress. When I came back two weeks ago, his assistant instructor informed me that I would be demoted if I didn't show up to the makeup test in two weeks...!!!! So I stressed and stewed about it until testing day. But in the end, what decided me was that there was another student testing for the same belt level who would test alone if I didn't show. I wouldn't want that to be my fate, so I told myself I was showing up for his sake and prayed that I wouldn't embarass myself too much.

Well hobgobbs...I passed! Now I am a Green Belt. And I only embarassed myself a little bit.:p

Last edited:

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
my senseis organize a testing at a certain time (mine and ours was feb 26 for all the kyus except brown as their shodan is separate) and they always say Come for testing - if you dare =]

it was 5 months as a white belt then and i knew i was ready to be a yellow belt.

cause my friend is always saying You AOB - Almost An Orange belt - when i've only been a yellow belt for 3 months! yes i am my own worst critic who always says she is not good enough and my sensei says its better than i think it is, and i always say my kata isnt perfect and.......So i brush aside my friend most of the time. because i always think i'm not ready.

Course maybe at the end of 5 months i might have a different thought when it does actually come time for testing. cause they do make sure we know the stuff before they organize a grading.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Demoted for not testing? I`ve never heard of that. It makes about as much sense as those nuts who recind someone`s belt because of political reasons.What nuts.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Congrats. As others have said, if you were not ready he would not have tested you.

Of course he does....that's why he is the Instructor.

I do not test my students on only what they do at testing, but, what I see during all their training up until that point.

We have a test where the whole class throws you with any throw they seem fit called "Ukemi from throws". One day there was a large beginner's class, 15 students. I happened to be the only assistant Instructor there and my teacher decided to show them a couple of judo throws. Yup, I was their uke and was thrown for an hour straight. Needless to say I was very tired from taking all those falls and constantly adjusting my falls for the bad technique of the beginners.

Then after that the advanced class started (which had ranks from blue belt to blackbelt), we did our warmup and our regular class, then he said Mike you're taking your test now, and had the 25 people in the advanced class throw me three times each.

That was my last test to pass for brown belt. I LOVE UKEMI!

Michael

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score

Congrats! I don't have any stories that are unusual / funny. =[

"Hobgobbs"... I'm going to use that. :D

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First congrats on passing

Now I have a couple thoughts on this:
Are you studying for rank or for knowledge? If for rank you where correct to take the test if for knowledge then maybe you should have said I’ll take the demotion.

Your instructor may have more confidence in your ability then you do and wanted to force you into the test to prove to you that you had the knowledge and ability. Thusly giving you ore confidence in yourself. OR he just may have needed the extra money if he charges for the test ( I doubt this is the case but I have seen it done in the past).

If you had declined the test your instructor may have asked you to sit down with him and explain why and he could have explained why he wanted you to take it at that time.

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First congrats on passing

Now I have a couple thoughts on this:
Are you studying for rank or for knowledge? If for rank you where correct to take the test if for knowledge then maybe you should have said I’ll take the demotion.

Your instructor may have more confidence in your ability then you do and wanted to force you into the test to prove to you that you had the knowledge and ability. Thusly giving you ore confidence in yourself. OR he just may have needed the extra money if he charges for the test ( I doubt this is the case but I have seen it done in the past).

If you had declined the test your instructor may have asked you to sit down with him and explain why and he could have explained why he wanted you to take it at that time.

Personally I study for knowledge and I couldn't care less about rank. However..the way class schedule is structured, I would have been locked out of certain upper level classes if I was demoted, so it was a good motivation for me to test.

I am sure my instructor was just trying to prove a point to me about my skill level. A remark he made prior to the test about another student who was out frequently due to injuries hit home--she is a friend of mine and we had always tested and partnered together, so much so that I think he saw that I was holding back to wait for my "partner" to test with me. He said "don't wait for T, just test now". I hadn't realized until after he said that, that he may be right about it.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Systema is a beltless art; everyone trains together. The other day everyone was joking about how it was time to introduce belts and test everyone. Of course I'm moving soon and they all know it. The instructor turned around and asked me when I was moving ... "Tuesday."

He didn't skip a beat. He turned around immediately and announced that belt testing would be on Wednesday morning.

Wiseass. :uhyeah:

Maiden_Ante

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Silly, you need to decide for yourself whether you want to graduate or not. If you are ready, you'll pass - if not, you won't. Therefore the trainer should not make you.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Silly, you need to decide for yourself whether you want to graduate or not. If you are ready, you'll pass - if not, you won't. Therefore the trainer should not make you.

The trainer / sensei should know better than you if you're ready or not. And if you don't trust his judgment, why are you training with him?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats on passing!

Of course your teacher knows best. If you think otherwise you should not be his student.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Nah. Part of the trainer's job is to push you out of your comfort zone. If he's doing that appropriately, then he's taking into account his assessment of your ability to pass. I haven't known any teachers who required someone to test expecting that they'd fail. Usually, your teachers want to see you succeed as much as you do. But you do need to accept that 1) they may have a clearer sense of your progress than you do and 2) they're supposed to be making you uncomfortable. Comfort leads to stagnation. And nobody should be showing up to a class to stagnate.

Stuart