Krav Maga testing

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was tested for my yellow belt, every student who had taken the eight week course were tested one after another and everyone passed. I didn't really think I was ready, I told the instructor I needed more work on some moves, and he responded "What are you talking about?" So, I tested with everyone else and passed. The way the instructor and two advanced students tested us, if we got 70% of the technique right we passed, kind of like a low "C", like in regular school.

Is this the typical way Krav Maga tests for belts? Can you pass with only 70% correct, or was this specific teacher kind of an easy instructor who watered down the testing process?

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't even know that system had belts. The original system was not designed with belts as far as I remember.

Now to your question, I'm sorry, something sounds funny there, so to them 70% of a system/style is ok with them. It just doesn't sound right.

I'm not in the school, so I'm going off what you have put down here.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is it possible to do a test 100% correctly? Especially in the martial arts (where it's not only about memorizing but also about correctly executing / applying a technique) - you'll always make a small mistake, place your foot wrong for just half a second etc.

Today I had an 'exam' in my art (Pencak Silat) and my teacher said that you didn't need to do everything 100% correct, as long as you could show that you knew what you were doing (applications etc.). He knows we can do the jurus (otherwise you don't get to test, I suppose) - the test is only about performing under pressure. As long as you can do that without being too sloppy or forgetting everything, you've passed.

After all, as my teacher says, passing an exam is not the same as 'knowing' a technique - you only know that when someone attacks you unexpectedly outside the training hall. The test is only there to measure your progress in the training hall - so, in other words, you shouldn't take it too seriously...

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it possible to do a test 100% correctly? Especially in the martial arts (where it's not only about memorizing but also about correctly executing / applying a technique) - you'll always make a small mistake, place your foot wrong for just half a second etc.

Today I had an 'exam' in my art (Pencak Silat) and my teacher said that you didn't need to do everything 100% correct, as long as you could show that you knew what you were doing (applications etc.). He knows we can do the jurus (otherwise you don't get to test, I suppose) - the test is only about performing under pressure. As long as you can do that without being too sloppy or forgetting everything, you've passed.

After all, as my teacher says, passing an exam is not the same as 'knowing' a technique - you only know that when someone attacks you unexpectedly outside the training hall. The test is only there to measure your progress in the training hall - so, in other words, you shouldn't take it too seriously...

If you don't train for 100% inside, then how can you be ready for 100% of a real confrontation outside. You fight like you train is what we older folks use to say, has that changed allot. If you train for 75%, then when you meet 100% outside of the training hall, won't you be short changed?

Just asking.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So you think that someone should fail a test because he only performed for 99%? (and how do you judge those percentages, anyway?). I think that no-one could get past 'white belt' level if that were true...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't take training seriously - I'm saying that you don't need to take tests too seriously. During training, you go for 100% (at least, you're trying) and it's also your goal during a test, but in either instance, it will be impossible because no one is perfect?

But is is indeed true that you fight like you train (my teacher also likes to say that). It isn't like our classes are laid back or so, certainly not!
It's just that executing a technique correctly during an exam, doesn't mean that you can also do it 'outside'.

zen4me

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I was tested for my yellow belt, every student who had taken the eight week course were tested one after another and everyone passed. I didn't really think I was ready, I told the instructor I needed more work on some moves, and he responded "What are you talking about?" So, I tested with everyone else and passed. The way the instructor and two advanced students tested us, if we got 70% of the technique right we passed, kind of like a low "C", like in regular school.

Is this the typical way Krav Maga tests for belts? Can you pass with only 70% correct, or was this specific teacher kind of an easy instructor who watered down the testing process?

From my experience with Krav (recently tested for L2), L1 (yellow) is more about seeing if you can do the techniques and push through more than can you do them perfectly. They are testing your responses to stress and performing under stress as much as how you perform the technique. i.e., do you bail out half way through because you don't do the perfect kick? do you pluck explosively and then follow up with immediate counters, etc.

Though I must admit, I've not heard of a KM test where each person goes individually. As with training techniques during class, you need a partner to work with.

- Kelly

PS Congrats on passing L1

zen4me

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I didn't even know that system had belts. The original system was not designed with belts as far as I remember.

Now to your question, I'm sorry, something sounds funny there, so to them 70% of a system/style is ok with them. It just doesn't sound right.

I'm not in the school, so I'm going off what you have put down here.

If you look at some of the original pictures taken with Imi, they are wearing belts - however, I think that portion was phased out over time but each level is still referred to as a color (at least at KMW). Having a color as a point of reference makes it easier for other people to relate in a way. Afterall, everyone understands what white and blackbelts generally mean and that there is a color gradation in between.

- Kelly

kior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Imi did use belts in the system. I traink IKMF and we have patches instead of belts but it's optional if you grade or not. One of the harshest guys at class has no grade at all.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
From my experience with Krav (recently tested for L2), L1 (yellow) is more about seeing if you can do the techniques and push through more than can you do them perfectly. They are testing your responses to stress and performing under stress as much as how you perform the technique. i.e., do you bail out half way through because you don't do the perfect kick? do you pluck explosively and then follow up with immediate counters, etc.

Though I must admit, I've not heard of a KM test where each person goes individually. As with training techniques during class, you need a partner to work with.

- Kelly

PS Congrats on passing L1

Well, I passed it some time ago. And I don't think it means a lot. Granted no one is perfect, but 70% is passing? I think that's ridiculous. When I took tae kwan do I was told it had to be perfect to get the belt. When I took Wing Chun the Sifu said the same, although he also said "You don't have to be perfect" I think 70% is too low a percentage to pass.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Imi did use belts in the system. I traink IKMF and we have patches instead of belts but it's optional if you grade or not. One of the harshest guys at class has no grade at all.

I think too much is made of belts. I've known white belts who could take out a black belt through superior size, strength, speed, aggression, athletic ability and the like. But if your going to have belts, the standard should be higher than 70% in my opinion. Nobody's perfect of course, but it should be closer to perfect than 70%.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
So you think that someone should fail a test because he only performed for 99%? (and how do you judge those percentages, anyway?). I think that no-one could get past 'white belt' level if that were true...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't take training seriously - I'm saying that you don't need to take tests too seriously. During training, you go for 100% (at least, you're trying) and it's also your goal during a test, but in either instance, it will be impossible because no one is perfect?

But is is indeed true that you fight like you train (my teacher also likes to say that). It isn't like our classes are laid back or so, certainly not!
It's just that executing a technique correctly during an exam, doesn't mean that you can also do it 'outside'.

No my friend, I don't, but the way it was put when he asked about improving on his techniques, it was like he asked a foreign question and my reply is exactly what we were talking about training, I should have been more specific, back when I was growing up, it was just stricter and I sometimes don't take that into consideration all the time that things do change for some, not all.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you look at some of the original pictures taken with Imi, they are wearing belts - however, I think that portion was phased out over time but each level is still referred to as a color (at least at KMW). Having a color as a point of reference makes it easier for other people to relate in a way. Afterall, everyone understands what white and blackbelts generally mean and that there is a color gradation in between.

- Kelly

Thanks. I knew they used Levels, but didn't know about belts. I agree, makes it easier to grasp or relate for most people.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think too much is made of belts. I've known white belts who could take out a black belt through superior size, strength, speed, aggression, athletic ability and the like. But if your going to have belts, the standard should be higher than 70% in my opinion. Nobody's perfect of course, but it should be closer to perfect than 70%.
I agree: too much is made of belts.

You have to look at what a belt truly represents. Each belt means only that you have learned that part of the curriculum well enough to move onto the next. It does not imply mastery of the curriculum.

The idea is that if you're staying with an art for the long haul, you come to a greater mastery of your low belt techniques later on.

Having a blackbelt in anything only represents having learned all of the colored belt material, not having mastered it.

I will not get into what percentage I feel should warrant a passing grade; each school places value on different things at testing time, depending upon the philosophy of the owner.

Congrats on passing!

Daniel

Latest Discussions