Thrown a curve

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, I was supposed to be testing for my Black Belt on May 26th (three weeks from now)
On Tuesdays, there aren't any scheduled classes, just open mat time, informal time to work out with whoever else shows up.
Last night, just as I was about to leave, to drive one of the Black Belts home, my sifu looked at me and said:"Big Don, three weeks, isn't going to change a whole lot, I'm going to test you Friday."
OH HOLY CRAP
STRESS! My stomach has hurt all day.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Owwww....
Yes I can see how that would hit you with a bucket of stress :)
Good luck Don.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Owwww....
Yes I can see how that would hit you with a bucket of stress :)
Good luck Don.
Is that how we're measuring stress, by the bucket? Because it felt more like a truck...

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good luck, but I bet you don't need it. Your Sifu wouldn't be doing this unless he knew you were ready. Just relax and let your body do it's thing!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know the feeling, "testing will start in 30 minutes, Rune you will join us for your 2nd brown test". Wasn`t expecting it for another few months.

Good luck, I am sure you will do fine.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ZOMG. But that means you're ready :)

You've been working for this for a long time. Get it over with and be done with it ;)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He wouldn't have done this if he didn't have faith in you, Don. Take it as a badge of honor.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, I was supposed to be testing for my Black Belt on May 26th (three weeks from now)
On Tuesdays, there aren't any scheduled classes, just open mat time, informal time to work out with whoever else shows up.
Last night, just as I was about to leave, to drive one of the Black Belts home, my sifu looked at me and said:"Big Don, three weeks, isn't going to change a whole lot, I'm going to test you Friday."
OH HOLY CRAP
STRESS! My stomach has hurt all day.

Strength and courage, Don! You can do it. Remember what i said about making friends with butterflies? :p

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
holy cow!!! I think that I would absolutely freak out. But then I would go he is probably correct that their is probably not going to be a vast difference between me now and three weeks from now. I also would think that it is a very big complement. Just think for the next three weeks you can bask in the glow of your new belt instead of freaking out about your test!!!! Good luck I think that you will do great!!!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best advice I have ever been given about grading is to just treat it like more training.

It's harder to do than to say but I have found that that attitude is much more condusive to relaxing into the experience than any other.

Best of luck, Don but I, as others have said, am sure that you wouldn't be being put up for it if you weren't up to it.

bwindussa

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You will do well. Think positively and try hard to laugh just before the test.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck with the test! I was given 6mo (and so that is my practice) notice for my black belt test. But, I suppose 5 1/4 months into it, I'd be as prepared as I would be on the test date. Has the sifu ever done this with anyone else? (trying to get an idea if there is a pattern here.....)

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good Luck, Don! Agree that he wouldn't pull this on you unless he saw you were ready (and possibly concerned about you overtraining to prepare for the test... this takes away that possibility)

Terry had great advice... just breathe.

Latest Discussions