Terry Shiavo and the Sanctity of Life...

G

ghostdog2

Terry Schiavo succumbed to dehyration and starvation earlier today. Reportedly, her "husband" had the breakfast buffet at his hotel. The eggs were overcooked, he complained.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ghostdog2 said:
Terry Schiavo succumbed to dehyration and starvation earlier today. Reportedly, her "husband" had the breakfast buffet at his hotel. The eggs were overcooked, he complained.
I'm wondering if you are, in any way, embarrassed by such a callous statement.

Nice of you to get right to the important point of the day.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
ghostdog2 said:
Yeah...real classy. Sympathies to her survivors: Parents, husband, other family and friends. Hopefully the healing can start.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Now hopefully her loved ones - husband and parents - will be able to mourn, and move on in some way.

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:

Now hopefully her loved ones - husband and parents - will be able to mourn, and move on in some way.
I really doubt her husband will mourn at all. He finally got what he wanted, and that is the death of her so called "wife".

While I know some of you maybe be happy, know this. No matter how much you think Terry wanted to die, there was no real proof at all that she wanted to die. In that kind of doubt we should have leaned toward life.

What is the worst about this whole case is that she couldn't even get a proper death. We really don't know whether she felt any pain, but let us say she didn't. Is it really justified starving someone to death no matter how much pain is felt? This wouldn't even happen to a dog according to what I have seen.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
I really doubt her husband will mourn at all. He finally got what he wanted, and that is the death of her so called "wife".

While I know some of you maybe be happy, know this. No matter how much you think Terry wanted to die, there was no real proof at all that she wanted to die. In that kind of doubt we should have leaned toward life.

What is the worst about this whole case is that she couldn't even get a proper death. We really don't know whether she felt any pain, but let us say she didn't. Is it really justified starving someone to death no matter how much pain is felt? This wouldn't even happen to a dog according to what I have seen.

Yes, he was such a bad husband to stick it out for .... how long has it been?

Until any of us are there, how can you righteously or rightfully judge. If uncertainty over her condition should side for life in your eyes, how about siding with some sympathetic perspective for the husband's life as well.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kane said:

While I disagree with many of your points, Kane, I do agree that the way that Terri had to die was totally inhumane. The subject of euthenasia is inheritly wrapped up in this debate and I think that the only good thing I can see come from this woman's suffering (for 15 years in a vegetative state and by the way she died) is that now we can have a national dialogue on the matter.

The sanctity of life isn't always about life. Sometimes, it's about death. We all know we are going to die, the question on everyones' mind is when and why. In our society, a living will can define the when and why of our own deaths.

Knowing this, my wife and I just had ours drawn up. One needs to go to a lawyer to get this done, and its not cheap. I imagine that millions of Americans would not be able to afford their only option to define the when and why of their own deaths.

So, as of right now, I am writing my national representative, Dave Obey (D - WI) and both senators Russ Feingold (D - WI) and Herb Kohl (D - WI). I would like them to take a look at the idea of expanding one of our government programs to include living wills. I think that everyone should have access to these documents regardless of SEC and I think that getting this information out on a wide scale is an important step in preventing the tragedies we have just seen.

This doesn't really address the "Right to Die" question as much as I would like it, but it is a step in that direction.

upnorthkyosa

PS - Rest in Peace, Terri.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Starving her to death was just "wrong" IMO. Her dying was a blessing, but this particular method just leaves a bad taste....

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Until any of us are there, how can you righteously or rightfully judge. If uncertainty over her condition should side for life in your eyes, how about siding with some sympathetic perspective for the husband's life as well.
I agree with you. Our sympathy should go out to the husband, Terry and the parents. Pray that we're never in that situation.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Starving her to death was just "wrong" IMO. Her dying was a blessing, but this particular method just leaves a bad taste....
I find it distasteful to think about too. I don't know what 'active' measures would be legal in this state or under these circumstances though.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still believe that by limiting care to just food/water and nothing else besides maybe pain killers (meds to prevent pnuemonia, infection etc) would eventually have lead to her death. Not as certain, or as quick but more humane IMO.

G

ghostdog2

Code:
I'm wondering if you are, in any way, embarrassed by such a callous statement
Code:

The only embarrassing thing is how shallow and superficial this discussion has become as virtual condolences and bogus sympathies are offered to people none of us have met or know anything about.
Someone posted about the husband now being able to move on. Wise up. He moved on long ago. The family? They got screwed. By virtue of a legal fiction and half remembered conversations from 15 years ago, Hubbie got to finish off their daughter/sister.
Is he better off? Probably not.
Are they worse off? Most certainly.
"The law, sir, is an ***." Samuel Johnson

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ghostdog2 said:
Code:
Code:

The only embarrassing thing is how shallow and superficial this discussion has become as virtual condolences and bogus sympathies are offered to people none of us have met or know anything about.
Someone posted about the husband now being able to move on. Wise up. He moved on long ago. The family? They got screwed. By virtue of a legal fiction and half remembered conversations from 15 years ago, Hubbie got to finish off their daughter/sister.
How very presumptuous of you to think that people here don't care, simply because they may disagree with you.

If Terri's husband had really "moved on", I assume he would have let Terri stay on a feeding tube indefinetly. Some might interpret his actions as trying to carry out her wishes expressed when she was still alive.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
ghostdog2 said:
Code:
Code:

Just as 'shallow and superficial' as comments about the motive and character of people 'none of use have met or know anything about.' can be taken.

I don't know about the rest but my sympathy is far from bogus. I did ask if anyone knew any contact info for either/both sides on this issue (Terri's husband and parents), as of yet I haven't read any info...

if we lack knowledge/contact, take charge and correct that problem if it is such an issue for you...or will you let it die by ignoring/starving it of attention.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kane said:

Yeah, in fact, I'm planning a Celebration that is going to last all weekend long.. It's going to be bigger and badder than any of the Spring Break parties you may have seen on E! entertainment television. (I'm hoping for my own series - Wild on People Dying)

And those damn Activist Judges ... one of those SOB's made a finding of fact that Mrs. Shiavo would not want to be kept alive by artificial mean. I suppose we can twist the logic around so a 'Finding of fact' and 'proof' are not synonyms.

Good Grief! - Even if you are correct (and by the way, you are not) these statements are so careless toward the family, and selfish to your point of view (or agenda) as to demonstrate exactly the opposite of what you claim; concern for life because it has 'dignity'.

I think that Mr. Shiavo has been mourning for 15 years. And today, he has entered a new period of mourning.

My wish for you is that you never need to experience a similar change in types of mourning.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Yeah, in fact, I'm planning a Celebration that is going to last all weekend long.. It's going to be bigger and badder than any of the Spring Break parties you may have seen on E! entertainment television. (I'm hoping for my own series - Wild on People Dying)

And those damn Activist Judges ... one of those SOB's made a finding of fact that Mrs. Shiavo would not want to be kept alive by artificial mean. I suppose we can twist the logic around so a 'Finding of fact' and 'proof' are not synonyms.

Good Grief! - Even if you are correct (and by the way, you are not) these statements are so careless toward the family, and selfish to your point of view (or agenda) as to demonstrate exactly the opposite of what you claim; concern for life because it has 'dignity'.

I think that Mr. Shiavo has been mourning for 15 years. And today, he has entered a new period of mourning.

My wish for you is that you never need to experience a similar change in types of mourning.
nods to you sir.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Yeah...real classy. Sympathies to her survivors: Parents, husband, other family and friends. Hopefully the healing can start.
Well, seems that someone doesn't appreciate a sensitive comment toward family with Rep responses/comments like this:

'superficial nonsense for the weak minded'

I'd love to see how 'superficial' a comment this would be on behalf of a dead family member of the anonymous individual that was 'weak' enough in spine to say it but not take credit for it.

It is stuff like this that really reinforces my opinion that rep point systems in these forums are a waste of time.

Sorry for the rant, but this strikes me as about as classy as the comment the original post was my response to in the first place.

Latest Discussions