Tempted to take the introclass...

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I have a kink to my plans now..... My CFO(my wife) said we have room in the budget for 1 martial art, not 2, and I have to choose..... Im still going to take the intro class, and see how I feel. I know after the 3 month newbie intro period there is a contract, and I think he has them pay the sum up front. I forgot to ask that part of the question. To add to the decision I am starting to make friends at the new gym im at, and feel bad for thinking about leaving.. Yet, I have wanted to train TKD under a good instructor since I was young.... Any advice guys?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well I have a kink to my plans now..... My CFO(my wife) said we have room in the budget for 1 martial art, not 2, and I have to choose..... Im still going to take the intro class, and see how I feel. I know after the 3 month newbie intro period there is a contract, and I think he has them pay the sum up front. I forgot to ask that part of the question. To add to the decision I am starting to make friends at the new gym im at, and feel bad for thinking about leaving.. Yet, I have wanted to train TKD under a good instructor since I was young.... Any advice guys?
Go with your gut. Neither decision is going to be wrong. Does the gym have an open sparring night where you can just come in and spar and pay a towell fee? That would allow you to keep your foot in door while training TKD.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Have not paid a contract in 10 years!!! Money up front???

I am a little skeptical about the TKD School!!! I would want to take at least a month of classes before making any commitments!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have not paid a contract in 10 years!!! Money up front???

I am a little skeptical about the TKD School!!! I would want to take at least a month of classes before making any commitments!

In fairness, pretty much every school my area does the billing contract thing, regardless of art. I can happily say that I do not. :D

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Oh, wife aggro....

Start with the intro class, take it from there.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gorila, there is a intro class and a 3 month contract free introperiod. Its after the 3 month intro period that I have to face the contract...... I am going to take the intro class, and if my heart is still in it, ill think about the 3 month into period. I cant think to far ahead, I need to follow my heart. My intro class is next week..

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I personally do not use contracts. Students pay for 3 month memberships, which equals all access to all classes for those 3 months. However, I know others in my association do use various contracts. Some use a flat fee until you earn black belt, some yearly contracts. I like to keep it affordable for everyone who wishes to train, and 1000's of dollars up front limits that, IMO, but different strokes for different folks.

I can see, however, if you paid upfront for at least a year, you would have more invested, thus be more committed.. .

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I personally do not use contracts. Students pay for 3 month memberships, which equals all access to all classes for those 3 months. However, I know others in my association do use various contracts. Some use a flat fee until you earn black belt, some yearly contracts. I like to keep it affordable for everyone who wishes to train, and 1000's of dollars up front limits that, IMO, but different strokes for different folks.

I can see, however, if you paid upfront for at least a year, you would have more invested, thus be more committed.. .

We do use contracts after the first month (pretty standard around here for anyone doing it for a living), but we'd never ask someone to pay the whole year upfront! That definitely would make it very difficult for most people to take classes. Though I have had a couple parents ask if we did that, so I guess some people do? I figured they were just think of it like a lot of kids sports/activities, where you pay upfront for the whole season or session.

Latest Discussions