Techniques other than striking/kicking

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How many of you in TKD work on pressure points, joint locks, throws, etc.? If so, how do you incorporate it into your training, and how did your instructor learn it in the first place?
We use mondays to work on these types of things. Kind of our "cross-training" day.

D

Disco

TKD in it's pre-WTF form, taught/practiced everything that you mentioned. Many of the instructors that came to the U.S. in the 70's were also versed in Hapkido/Yudo. The concept of cross training was in vouge, long before our current day epiphany. How it's incorporated into your training depends on what you seek from your training. If seeking medals and trophies, than the olympic style TKD is the venue. If self defense is the driving force, then old school TKD training is the choice. Problem is that finding old school is not as easy as one may think.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do incorporate joint locking techniques into one step, and our forms (Palgue) are full of examples of techniques that can be used to lock joints or set up for throws. However, the striking and blocking techniques of Tae Kwon Do can also be applied to joint breaks rather than just locks.
I remember Hae Man Park showed a while ago how a side block can also be applied as an elbow lock/break, similar to aikido. Instead of merely locking the elbow, you are physically breaking it with a side block action. Also, Koryo form incorporates a tiger mouth knee dislocation/break, depending on the angle you strike from.
And yes, you need to go back to the older schools to find these techniques, since the younger Instructors all learned sport/Olympic style. The best way to do this is to find a school still affiliated with a kwan (chung do kwan, moo duk kwan, chang moo kwan etc.). Good luck with that.

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
A few of my instructors have studied jujitsu as well, and they are willing to teach us those techniques, however, we dont have a dedicated time to do that. I wish they will do an open class for that, dedicating a time a week.
I believe some of our one step sparring technique has take downs that involves some grappling moves..

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
How many of you in TKD work on pressure points, joint locks, throws, etc.? If so, how do you incorporate it into your training, and how did your instructor learn it in the first place?
We use mondays to work on these types of things. Kind of our "cross-training" day.

Our master was certified in Hapkido as well as TKD (had dan rankings in Yudo and Komdo, too). Hapkido was his true love, though. Most of the senior students cross trained in it at some point.

In my school now I require students to cross train in grappling arts and FMA (Filipino martial arts) to broaden their horizons. Most of my black belts are rated in other arts in addition to TKD.

Regards,

Steve

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Most of what we learn about pressure points, joint locks, limb destructions and takedowns are passed on by way of "creative" three-steps and one-steps. We don't usually devote specific class time to them. Typically our instructor will show something to one or two students at a time, and things get passed on down the grapevine.

Every so often, usually when our "assistant instructor" is running the class, we'll devote specific class time to learning how to break grabs and holds.

Because our class is run as a leisure class at a college, and we have limited class time, there are some things we sometimes end up getting short-changed on, like these.

We also have the mixed blessing of working out on a hard wood gym floor. Due to safety issues, we operate on a "if you sweep 'em, you have to catch 'em" policy. This does get somewhat in the way of practicing takedowns and sweeps. Although, sometimes not. We've had guests from within our org, or related orgs, come to work out with us, some of whom have no problem sending my lowly, black-belted *** to the ground. On grass, it's also somewhat of a different story.

G

Gary Crawford

It was a joke,or maybe not,baffling a threatening person with bs can give you an advantage before the fists and feet start flying.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"If i can't dazzle them with brilliance, I'll baffle them with bull****"

as the saying goes

OP
H

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ya, that's fun....
attacker: you lookin at somethin
me: no, I'm blind sir
attacker: no your not, where is your cane?
me: oh no, I've lost my can, can you help me find it?
attacker: oh, sure. I'll go ask the lost and found.
me: dumbass(as I walk away)

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Gary Crawford said:
It was a joke,or maybe not,baffling a threatening person with bs can give you an advantage before the fists and feet start flying.

Ahh, ok, I get it.

Heh, too bad I can't find a smiley with something flying over it's head. Oh well this will have to do.
zg_06duh_7b.gif

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
to get back on track...my school does incorporate things of this nature in class quite a bit...but obviously studied a lot less then strikes...

every once and a while we will work some hapkido techniques...but sometimes more for the fun factor(something different) than seriously training them...

which is why i started my study of judo and jujutsu, to get constant training in grappling aspects of the martial arts...

hapkido is a great art...but we're not a hapkido school, we teach tkd...

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Han-Mi said:

We do a LOT with pressure points and joint locks. In fact, there are some pressure point flows and joint locks that we must know to test for out 2nd dan. These are required by our orginization.
My instructor learned a lot of these when he studied other martial arts before doing TKD. He began training in weapons of opportunity i.e. pens, pencils, neck ties, pool sticks, rolled up magazine, etc, etc. a number of years back (long before TKD came in his life).

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
Where I train we learn pressure points and how they can be used in self defence, grappling styles, break falls in our cirriculam. We are learning at the moment for green tip "Group 2" which incorporates arm and wrist joint locks. We have four new nerves(pressure points) to learn.

G

gic102

I go to a what you may call sport-orientated school and yes we are WTF but we have one class during the week set aside for self defense and falling which allows for us to practise wrist locks, throws and breaking out of common holds. Our instructor who is a 4th dan in tkd also has a blackbelt in jujutsu and is also taking BJJ so we have the pleasure of a grappling class. This is not to mention also the joint locks/breaks in our one steps.

Latest Discussions