Real or Re-breakable

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Anyone use rebreakable boards instead of used? We use the rebreakables 99.9% of the time. The only time we'll use real ones is in demonstrations.

OP
G

Gary Crawford

I've tried all variations of re-breakable boards.They are just fine....for the first few breaks,after that,they go downhill.I will say that for children's breaks,I'd prefere them to real wood.Real wood varies in so many ways.I've seen too many tests with kids that try to braek a piece of wood that won't break with a child's force because it is too much resign.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use re-breakables to practice on. They are usually good for awhile and then the edges start wearing and it becomes an easy board. We use rebreakables for testing for the first four tests thru high green. Then after that, we use pine boards. If the rebreakable has been used too much we up it to the next color. Rebreakables are good for practicing technique because you have to hit right dead center and with the proper technique. It helped me alot to practice on blue-black for palm and knife hand learning in increments how much it took to go through.

Pine boards come in all varieties. Grades 1-3. We use 3 usually, occasionally 2. Grade 1 is fairly expensive. I agree that with too much resin, the board gets harder to break. I prefer pine to rebreakables, it is more satisfying to hear the crack. Not good environmentally, though. We have gone through a ton of boards and they usually just end up in someone's fireplace. My master was working on a method to use them to make trophy bottoms, but I think that is too much work. TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
same here...rebreakables practice only...all testing is with #2 pine

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate re-breakable it give a sense of power that many student believe in the fact is re-breakable give way to much and when the student actually hits a real piece of wood it does not give.. Just a thought!!GOD BLESS AMERICA
rofl.gif

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think there is a big difference in pine though. I have become a board "connoisseur" ;) and if a teen has to punch a board, I will go run for the perfect board. Alot depends on the water weight, resin, grain, density and sometimes knots. Not all boards are the equal. I used to not understand why I couldn't break some boards, they were like oak! TW

OP
B

bluespacething

I've never used a rebreakable board. I've only used real ones to practice and to test. Although, sometimes I wish I could have used a rebreakable since it might hurt less when doing a break with the heel. (ie. hook kick, backspin, or 360 axe kick). I bruised my heel really bad just practicing my 360 axe kick break and I only tried twice. It still hurt when I went to test 2 weeks later...so I think rebreakable might be beneficial to prevent that.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
bluespacething said:
I've never used a rebreakable board. I've only used real ones to practice and to test. Although, sometimes I wish I could have used a rebreakable since it might hurt less when doing a break with the heel. (ie. hook kick, backspin, or 360 axe kick). I bruised my heel really bad just practicing my 360 axe kick break and I only tried twice. It still hurt when I went to test 2 weeks later...so I think rebreakable might be beneficial to prevent that.

A rebreakable only breaks in the middle and you would have had to have perfect technique getting that target. It can hurt worse in my opinion. It is hard plastic. The "fingers" progressively get stronger in each of the colors. The blue board is usually worth one pine board. I think wood is "softer". Wood breaks anywhere on the surface where ever it is weakest. Alot depends on your holders too, if they held it without any give. If your force comes back at you while breaking it would hurt more and that would occur if they weren't held firmly. I hope you didn't break on the back end of the heel near the Achillles - that is painful as well. I did that break once during a tournament with 2 boards, it didn't seem too bad if you hit on the right part of your heel/bottom of the foot. Least I remember going on with my breaks. But rebreakables have there place in training too, an easier/worn one would be a benefit for doing spin heel or jump spin heel then advance on to a newer rebreakable or a pine board (preferred) for the true test if you want. TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
theres just something about hearing that "crack" and seeing splinters fly

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
How do you really rate which is better? If you rate better by accuracy, then I would have to say rebreakables. If you really want to break them, you generally have to hit them dead center, and nowhere else. If you rate more on power, generally I would have to say wood. There is a much larger "target area" with real wood, but you generally have to put more power into it.

Personally, I love breaking real wood. I find it very satisfying when put your foot/hand/head through a board, and you hear that satisfying *CRACK!* Even more so if you had a sappy peice that has that piney smell upon breaking. Plus, if it's an important board, (like black belt or dan testing), you get to keep it for posterity. (I kept the boards for my black belt and 1st dan testing).

My school uses mostly rebreakables now. High red belt and under get tested with rebreakables. We used to have only wood, but there were problems. Sometimes, one of the annoying stupid kids who would only have a 5 second attention span could get a dry, dusty board and crack it with a touch. Then another, highly competent kid would show perfect technique, great power, and dead on accuracy....... on a sappy, knotty wooden brick. We soon switched to rebreakables so that everyone could have a constant, uniform criterion on which they would be ranked.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wood, wood, and only wood. From 9th gup up (First board break on up) you get wood, knots and all. Some times they don't break on the first try. Sometimes they do. But it's real life wood, and your special time with the board only comes once. Then you hang it on your wall or burn it, and await the next time.

OP
X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Just to add to the fun here....

With rebreakable boards, there is a focus factor you have to get past.
Let's just say, for argument sake, that I have two different boards to break at two different stations. One board is a 12x12x3/4 pine board and the other is a rebreakable board equal to the pine (forget the wearing factor of this board for a moment). Both these boards will be broken with a punch.

Pine board is broken with the punch... no problem, right? The break was made, however, the are struck was a little low, thus not dividing the board in equal halves.

The rebreakable board is struck in the exact place as the pine was. This board does not break. It is not the lack of power, or speed. It was the lack of focus.

Don't get me wrong here. I like wood boards, I really do. Just that, in my mind, real wood is easier to break. I don't have to worry as much about hitting the exact center for it to break.
I prefer wood at demos because people will have the mindset that; the plastic boards are set up to break easily. They just aren't impressive enough for the crowd.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't aware od re-breakables.

My trainig has shifted a bit, and was told we were going to get into breaking...
Thanks for the info!

OP
S

sifu nick

We only use real boards. We have a re-breakable lying around and sometimes use it for practice on rare occasions. We break on tests but don't practice it or put much emphasis on it until advanced belt ranks.

OP
T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

Our school has two blue boards (= 1.25 pine boards) we occasionally practice with. It's OK for adults and teens but I hate to see the little tykes use it. The little tykes only have to break a half thickness board in testing. They try and try and cry and cry and rarely break the blue board even when it is spread out a bit to make it easier. They are so frustrated that they just know that it is going to hurt that they don't think they can break the thin board. They really need to get some lesser re-breakable boards for them so they can work up to the blue ones without shattering their confidence.

My friend has two black boards (= 2.25 pine boards) that we practice with on our own. As an adult of 6 ft. and 175 lbs. I prefer them for practice for the reasons TigerWoman and XxTKDPenguinxX mentioned.

I will be testing for green in two weeks and will only be doing single board breaks. By practicing with the black boards I know I have to focus on good technique and power. If I can consistantly break the black boards in practice I should have no problem breaking the single pine board in testing even being nervous. It just raises my confidence level in a positive way.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
single pine boards are not much of challenge for any type of break...it's all about having the confidence to actually execute the technique

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Confidence, yes, but mostly its about technique. If you have alot of mass, you can power through a single board, guys do this quite well. But if you're normal size 120-185, it takes excellent technique and confidence. I found I got this through competing at tournaments and practicing breaking alot in class and on rebreakables at home. TW

Latest Discussions