techniques and forms

T

Tony Starks

hey guys, i havent been in the martial art scene for too long, maybe about a year. ive lately been tired of doing techniques and forms in my style (limalama) and i want to concentrate on sparring and things like that. its not like my style is oversaturated with teqs and forms its just im getting a little bored with it. has anyone else felt like this? if so did u just stick it out? any reply would definitley help

thanks a lot
Tony Starks

OP
Y

yilisifu

Techniques and forms are what the system is about; they're how you express the system.

Without them, you have nothing. No foundation. I know it can be boring at first, but it's something you must do and strive to master. Understanding that will hopefully come in time.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by yilisifu
Techniques and forms are what the system is about; they're how you express the system.

Without them, you have nothing. No foundation. I know it can be boring at first, but it's something you must do and strive to master. Understanding that will hopefully come in time.

So does JKD or Muy Thai have a foundation? Because they do seem to have "something."

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
So does JKD or Muy Thai have a foundation? Because they do seem to have "something."

Oh please, the training methodologies of those systems are designed differently. Ironman's (excuse me, Tony Starks) system is obviously based around techs and forms, so Yilisifu was addressing his concern.

You are pulling this thread off topic.

Lamont

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Blindside
Oh please, the training methodologies of those systems are designed differently. Ironman's (excuse me, Tony Starks) system is obviously based around techs and forms, so Yilisifu was addressing his concern.

You are pulling this thread off topic.

Lamont

You just blindsided me.

I wasn't quoting you. You have no way of knowing what he meant.

I think you are taking it off of topic.

The question stands for Yilisifu, not you.

OP
F

fissure

Tony, most people go through this situation. It depends what you are looking for in your MA training - self defense, a good sweaty workout, a tournament career or something else.
Most find that their goals change over time. If for the present, sparring and such keep you interested in your MA then peruse that avenue. For 6 or 7 yrs sparring was my main interest, it kept me involved. After this became less important ,my focus switched to forms, tech. and application. However, without competition for the period of time when these other things meant little to me, I probably would have found another interest - and missed out on my current training!

OP
Y

yilisifu

I very strongly suspect that both JKD and Muay Thai teach specific techniques....don't they? They DO have very specific foundations. The originator of this thread said he was getting bored with learning these kinds of things. I responded by saying that they are essential.

It's pretty tough to learn JKD or Muay Thai without LOTS of technique practice, don't you think?

;)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I very strongly suspect that both JKD and Muay Thai teach specific techniques....don't they? They DO have very specific foundations. The originator of this thread said he was getting bored with learning these kinds of things. I responded by saying that they are essential.

It's pretty tough to learn JKD or Muay Thai without LOTS of technique practice, don't you think?

;)

Of course. I thought you were saying without forms, there is no foundation. It was a legitimate question and answered reasonably.:asian:

OP
S

Shinzu

sometimes you will find a lull in your training. look at it from different aspects and focus on things that you would like to improve on. don't give up. the only way anyone got better at things was by doing them over, and over, and over.

OP
Y

yilisifu

First you must learn to do the technique CORRECTLY from a mechanical point of view. Then you must do it as if your life depended on it...literally thousands of times until you no longer have to "think" about HOW to do it; it becomes "internalized" within you.
This cannot be hurried and there are no short-cuts. Take your time, do it right, and enjoy the journey.

OP
S

Shinzu

First you must learn to do the technique CORRECTLY from a mechanical point of view. Then you must do it as if your life depended on it...literally thousands of times until you no longer have to "think" about HOW to do it; it becomes "internalized" within you.
This cannot be hurried and there are no short-cuts. Take your time, do it right, and enjoy the journey.

AGREED!!!... and well said :)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well put. I am one of those who "has to do a technique a thousand times" as we would say, before we get it right.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This cannot be hurried and there are no short-cuts.

Just for curiosity's sake I wonder how the systema guys would answer this thread?

I suppose a moderator could re-post this in that forum and we could get some answers.

Rob

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score

2400 repetitions, to be exact.

OP
S

sweeper

I think diffrent instructors teach diffrent, like when I first started up in about two months I was sparring some, basicly it showed me how much I had to work on, it's also easyer to see where things go, you can get a better idea of what is and is not practicle when under preasure.

I would just talk to your instructor after classone day and ask if you could spar in the next class just to get a feal for it.

Latest Discussions