Forgetting the "Martial" in "Martial Artist"

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay, this essay is going to be controversial, at least with some people. I debated posting it at several forums, but figured I'd just go for it. No offense is intended, your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, do not try this at home, do not use curling iron while bathing, etc.

Forgetting the "Martial" in "Martial Artist"

I'll go pull on my asbestos underwear now.

K

Kirk

In my opinion Phil, this is your best article yet! Mind if I post a
link to it on kenponet? There's major discussion over there by
people who wish they were Quai Chang Cain (sp?). While I love
the art side of what I study, I want to be prepared to
protect my family if ever the need arises.

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Please do. And thanks. I have to admit I've been a little surprised, so far, at the responses to this. I was certain I was going to get flamed to a nice golden brown.

Phil

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Sharp Phil
Please do. And thanks. I have to admit I've been a little surprised, so far, at the responses to this. I was certain I was going to get flamed to a nice golden brown.

Phil

Give it time LOL

C

Cliarlaoch

Actually, that's a really good article. I don't know why you'd worry about getting flamed for it, but then, whenever I post stuff that is controversial, I get nervous about it, too, so, fair enough!

I would like to ask if you think there's a difference between "aggression" and a willingness to strike when necessary and no more? In other words, how much force and aggression do you think that a "martial" artist should be willing to use? Just curious, since I find that while the article is very good, and makes an excellent point, I should at least try and present the counter viewpoint (even though I generally speaking agree with you in the article, entirely) that force should be a last resort, and even then, that in the process of fighting, one should be able and willing to stop the fight as soon as the opponent is beaten. Does that require more of a deliberate decision to be less "aggressive" or more cautious? I think that if the martial artist is truly in control of the situation, as you say they should be, then they'll be able to stop when and if needed, but I thought that the other side's argument could at least get a jump off point here if they wanted to start a healthy debate on the subject (since I suspect the article will have its opponents, here and there, and therefore it could generate a very strong topic for discussion here).

I think the article already answers most of my questions, but I simply wanted to raise the points and spark a good debate on the subject to give you some constructive criticism and feedback (so that way the next article is even better, muahaha!).

Thanks again for the article, it was, as I have said, quite good and enjoyable to read! (Myiagi! Woohoo! :p)

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually, my point was that you can never be in total control of a violent encounter, which is why aggression and domination are necessary. If it was easy to know just how much force was "necessary," and we could always know this, there would be no reason to use more. As this often cannot be known in a violent encounter, I believe martial artists must be prepared to neutralize an attacker -- however this occurs -- quickly and overwhelmingly.

T

Ty K. Doe

Hey Phil,

Nice article. Guess you've got the "magic" touch for writing. It was "spellbinding." Witch topic will you use for your next article.

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by tarabos
probably because some people could flame their own mothers on martial arts forums...

So very true......I could do that :rofl:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked the article. The fact that you included the dictionary version of Martial was exactly what you needed to put some of your points across.
I must agree a martial art is a war art (not a sport).

C

Cliarlaoch

Originally posted by tarabos
probably because some people could flame their own mothers on martial arts forums...

Yeah, too bad we can't just flame 'em back... but then, that'd make the mods all angry with me.

Kinda like

I
I
V

:redeme:

LB_Karateka

White Belt
Reaction score
great article. i'd have to say i strongly agree on its points. take away all the mysticism and sugar-coating, forget about the sport, and combat is what remains.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for "when to stop" in a self defense situation I think I remember reading somewhere that the Shaolin monks do not see their use of martial arts in defense of themselves or others as a violation of their vow of pacivity because they view the situation as simply "returning unwanted aggression to the aggressor".... meaning that their defense is only as violent as the attack. Some one wants to show off for their buddies and shove you around a little then you retaliate with simple defenses such as evasion or wrist locks etc, some one wants to take your head off with a shot gun then you would, obviously, retaliate with a defense meant to quickly disable or even kill your attacker. The problem, though is not only judging at what level to retaliate but nowadays how to justify to a court why you retaliated in the way you did. As for me I will simply do my best to get home to my family everyday and deal with the legal fall out when/if there is any. Knowing what level to retaliate, I believe, is what makes the Martial Artist an artist.
My school will occasionally give a free "ladies self defense" class on a saturday and I have seen so many women watch a self defense move, turn to the lady next to them and say something to the effect "Well, I would never do that. I'm just not that violent." You just want to grab them by the shoulders shake them and say "Lady, this is not violent. Violent is crushing the back of your skull in a parking garage, dragging you to a dirty cargo van and having my way with you." Don't ever think that self defense is some sterile, quick fix to get yourself out of an uncomfortable situation. It is often a very violent and messy way to get yourself out of a deadly situation, a miniature "war" if you will.
Excellent article, by the way. I would like to print this off and share it with my fellow students if I may.

respecfully
theletch1
:snipe:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phil,

I read that First quote about Attack Attack Attack and it sounded totaly reasonable to me... Then I go on to read how people feel that it is a fearful attitude??? Wow. People... I tell you.

I loved the Article... It made me think alot about many of the Martial Artists I know/have known...

S

sweeper

great essay, I realy don't understand the view that someone who would be agressive in a SD situation has low self esteem, if anyone ever braught that up I would deffinatly want to know their source of that info.

Latest Discussions