Technique Videos

Who Sells the Best (EPAK) Technique tapes?

• Hancock

• Tabatabai

• Sasaki

• Fowler

• Wheeler

• Tatum

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Who sells the best video reference for (EPAK) Kenpo Techniques?

I've tried to list everyone in the Poll above but feel free to comment on your answer. Some of the people list may not be teaching actual "techniques" but I listed them anyway as it is possible they do sell such tapes but that I am simply not aware of them.

I'm primarily interested in who sells the best reference for Techniques, not Kenpo in general, forms, grappling, etc. That may be another Poll.

M

MisterMike

I've seen Tatum's, Sasaki and Fowlers and it's still nothing like the real thing. Tapes I have enjoyed however are Mr. Planas' Forms series.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen tapes of Tatum and of Steve Spry. Both were good, but you can see the differences each brings to a technique. I can't comment of the others because I haven't seen them. *G

K

Kroy

I have seen Tatum's, Spry's and Tabatabai's (hey that rhymed):rolleyes: anyway, I liked the Tabatabai videos the best.

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kroy
I have seen Tatum's, Spry's and Tabatabai's (hey that rhymed):rolleyes: anyway, I liked the Tabatabai videos the best.

I've only seen part of ione of Tabatabai's video where he is doing techniques and I didn't like it at all. His execution looked very sloppy. And I think he was on a very squishy blue mat.

Thus a reason for this poll. I have not hardly previewed every tape out there, and since you are about the 2nd person to reccomend Tabatabai, and since he did manage or co-manage a studio with Mr. Hawkins, maybe I should buy one of his tapes and watch the whole thing to give it proper attention.

Thanks.

P.S. One more post and I make Grandmaster or something. I will have to ponder something wise to say. Maybe this will be my last post for a while. :eek:

K

Kroy

Originally posted by cdhall
P.S. One more post and I make Grandmaster or something. I will have to ponder something wise to say. Maybe this will be my last post for a while. :eek:

Who's the master? Shonuf:D

K

Kroy

Originally posted by cdhall
I've only seen part of ione of Tabatabai's video where he is doing techniques and I didn't like it at all. His execution looked very sloppy. And I think he was on a very squishy blue mat.

Yeah, I guess some of it was sloppy (when he sped up) I mostly liked the speed and tenacity he put into it.

I'm trying to get my hands on other Kenpo tapes for comparison.

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would say Larry Tatum's technique videos are very good and probably your best bet. The one Skip Hancock video I saw was very good and I'd be willing to bet the rest are also. I believe his video's deal more with concepts/principles than actual techniques though.

I would not recommend the Sasaski, Tabatabai or Spry videos. In fact, I would stay as far away from those as possible.

With that said, I believe videos are only good to supplement your existing training and not for a primary source of learning.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I voted for Mr Tatum, but in retrospect I should probably have said other;

I have seen tapes by Sasaki, Tatum, and Planas, and personally I would say that one could discount Sasaki straight away, because the emphasis seems to be mostly on flash.
The other two, however, I believe both have their merits, Mr Tatum's technique videos are awesome, and you have to cringe for the poor guys he is knocking about, and as someone already stated, Mr Planas' forms series is great, because you get not just the how, but also the why and wherefor.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen a Tatum video and a Tabatabai video. I would rate Tatum's video the better of the two; Tatum is crisper and has better form - Tabatabai looks more like me: somewhat sloppy and a little thick in the mid-section.

I don't think learning from video is as good as learning in person. For me, learning kenpo sometimes requires an instructor to do the technique on me so I get a better feel for what's really going on. Additionally, An live instructor can help correct inaccuracies that the student doesn't even realize.

But if you have no instructor in the area...

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree, it's Mr. Tatum Hands down. The poll stresses technique videos. Mr. Tatum's video's not only go into great detail on the techs, he gives you a couple of different angles as well. Also you can't discount production quality.
Brian Jones

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
cdhall said:

Thus a reason for this poll. I have not hardly previewed every tape out there, and since you are about the 2nd person to reccomend Tabatabai, and since he did manage or co-manage a studio with Mr. Hawkins, maybe I should buy one of his tapes and watch the whole thing to give it proper attention.

Thanks.

Consider that Tabatabai received his black from Larry Tatum and that may help your decision.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ray said:
I've seen a Tatum video and a Tabatabai video. I would rate Tatum's video the better of the two; Tatum is crisper and has better form - Tabatabai looks more like me: somewhat sloppy and a little thick in the mid-section.
Tabatabai is a Tatum student so that's a reasonable observation.
I don't think learning from video is as good as learning in person. For me, learning kenpo sometimes requires an instructor to do the technique on me so I get a better feel for what's really going on. Additionally, An live instructor can help correct inaccuracies that the student doesn't even realize.

But if you have no instructor in the area...
If the information has any real depth, it cannot be learned on video. If you can get it on video, than whatever "it" is, isn't very much.

Kim Dahl

White Belt
Reaction score
Mr Planas' forms series is great, because you get not just the how, but also the why and wherefor.
Yep right on, you should try to attend are Planas seminar:ultracool it is like Yoda. when he movies, he movies :) if you know what I mean.

Best Regards
Kimpo
www.Kenpo.dk

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
If the information has any real depth, it cannot be learned on video. If you can get it on video, than whatever "it" is, isn't very much.
Yes, I agree. Further I think that an advanced practitioner might be able to get something out of a video, whereas a beginner would not.

B

Bigfoot

Happy New Year,
I all ways wanted the Tatum Videos but couldn't take the price for the full set. I was looking at Centurys web site last night and they are selling alot of their DVD/VHS's for $9.99. So I finally ordered all of Tatum's and Paul Vunak JKD's series and a few other ones. They do have Sasaki, Tabatabai and Tatum's all at 9.99.

S

Spin

Doc said:
Couldn't agree with you more there Doc!

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Larry Tatum's video/DVD series are my favorite.

I also have videos from such guys as:
Huk Planas
Mohammad Tabatabai
Steve Spry
Frank Trejo
Lee Wedlake
Tony Cogliandro
Joe Palanzo

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:

What about "game films" that the multi-million dollar football teams watch and study on a weekly basis. Don't they use these to develop a level of depth about the other teams execution? Didn't SGM Parker "discover" some of his greatest insights from studying films of his own motion? Bruce Lee did the same studying films of Muhammad Ali body movement(or so the urban legend goes). Boxers do this as well...

If the reason it won't work for the martial arts is because of the mystic powers that we possess then I suppose I'll understand why it won't work for us. :asian:

The Black Sheep, jb