Teaching gun defense to kids?

Do you teach kids gun defense in your system?

• System has gun defense techniques and YES we teach them to children

• System has gun defense techniques and NO WE DON'T teach them to children

• OTHER - please specify

Results are only viewable after voting.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you teach gun defense to children under the age of 13? Why/why not?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our system has gun-defense techniques; however, we don't teach them to the kids. For that matter, we don't teach them a lot of the "nastier" stuff. I've actually never discussed this with my head instructor but I would imagine that the reason is that kids, even more so than adults should be focused solely on escape. Weapons disarms are extremely risky even for an adult, I honestly don't think kids under 13 would even be physically capable of taking a gun away from someone. Their best bet would be to run like hell and scream their head off.

just my $0.02

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are gun defenses in Kenpo, but they're usually not taught until the upper ranks. That being said, IMHO, I feel that there are more important things for the kids to learn, prior to a gun defense.

Mike

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I would agree. Just getting the basics down, and using them in the forms and fighting combo's is hard enough. Their usually awkward, with their bodies growing faster than the coordination can catch up. I feel one should deal with facing weapons when they can move very well.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
I feel that there are more important things for the kids to learn, prior to a gun defense.Mike

I agree.Teaching children firearm safety( keep reading) meaning not to play with them or pick up on they find on the streets and to notify an adult if they locate one would be better...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would depend on the child and how well they can handle everything, like my oldest who is going to be turning 12 yes he has been training for the last nine years, now would I for the average kid being with me for only a month no, so the question needs to be a little more relaxe with exception to every rule.
Terry

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For our School the answer is NO to kids under 13 years old. In the junior and adult class this is cover. Same for knife defense too.

Club defense is cover with the peewee classes 5-13 years old. The basic and we keep it simple for them. We stress RUNNING AWAY....Aloha

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drac said:
Teaching children firearm safety( keep reading) meaning not to play with them or pick up on they find on the streets and to notify an adult if they locate one would be better...

That is a really great point. Anybody out there go to a school that does that? I'm gonna talk with my kids program people about it on Monday.

I'm excited by the idea and embarassed it hadn't thought of it. Well done.

Latest Discussions