Kids carrying knives in school

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every single girl at a seminar I taught recently, much to the horror of the adults nearby, have seen another student at school carrying a knife of some kind. These are 7th graders.

Let's discuss the impact on young teens of being exposed to knives early on and the preconceptions it may bring about from this.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was given my first "jackknife" when I was 7. The only person I ever stabbed with it was myself. Knives are kind of standard country wear. So far I haven't seen a lot of school stabbings but i've seen perfectly good kids expelled from school for showing off a knife to friends on a playground.Knives are a useful tool which have recently become demonized.

One day in the office I pulled out my Ken Onion Chive to open a box and a drug rep that happened to be there gasped in shock at the "big" knife I was carrying.

somewhat of a ramble, I'll try to come back later with my thoughts organized.

jeff

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Every single girl at a seminar I taught recently, much to the horror of the adults nearby, have seen another student at school carrying a knife of some kind. These are 7th graders.

Let's discuss the impact on young teens of being exposed to knives early on and the preconceptions it may bring about from this.

I had small pocket knives from when I was a small boy on up through now. (* Except now the knives are bigger to fit my hand ;) *)

It was nothing for me to have it in my pockey in school or even use it in shop class (* When I had one *).

In the mid to late 80's I had a guy walk into my place of business for an interview. Good kid. He had a nice belt knife. I explained to him that he still had to interview with the owner who did not like to see a knife. So, if he took it off for that interview, it would go better. The kid a problem with it, as it was given to him by his dad, and his dad had recently died. His Grandfather whi was with him, understood my point and told him it is like just putting on the dresser for the night. The kid was so nervous without, his knive, he did not get the job from the owner. I felt bad.

Although, in today's world of no weapons at school this should not be as common a mistake or natural occurance.

So, the next step is kids taking a gun to school for protection from those who have knives. And the media always seems to make a federal case of the nice kid who was traumatized to the point of taking a perents gun to school.

So, by having some martial arts experience and some confidence they might not need to carry a knife or feel like they should carry a knife. (* Always remember knife ecounters are hard to control for anyone *)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When and where (early to mid eighties, rural Indiana) I went to school, it was pretty much assumed all the boys had some kind of pocket knife with them. I don't think I went anywhere without my Buck lockback or my Case penknife. Can't believe how much it's changed since then.

Oh and KenpoDoc, lol at the big scary Chive. I'd probably send him into shock with my Kershaw Stevan Segal or my Cold Steel Voyager.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My son was threatened by an 8th grader with a knife on his school bus. We have discussed it very thoroughly how to handle it. Unfortunately, he did not have enough trust in the school bus driver to handle it appropriately so he waited until he got home and got me involved.

Needless to say, that child is NOT riding a public school bus anymore.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

It was common when I went to school. Heck, I carried a pocket knife in 9-10 grade at times myself. Times have changed so much, that tools are now considered weapons and even in rural areas kids are being charged with crimes if they forget about the pen knife in their pocket and are caught with it at school.

However, some kids DID carry knives as weapons. Since I went to school in California, many easily obtained switch blades from Mexico or cheap, "commando" style sheath knives form "Soldier of Fortune".

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
When and where (early to mid eighties, rural Indiana) I went to school, it was pretty much assumed all the boys had some kind of pocket knife with them. I don't think I went anywhere without my Buck lockback or my Case penknife. Can't believe how much it's changed since then.

Same here, early to mid 80s in high school, it was common for boys to carry pocket knives. Where I went, there were never any problems that I knew of with knives. As a matter of fact, I remember having discussions with staff about it being permissible as long as the knife wasn't over a certain size. Even still it wasn't about self defense at all, they still got into fist fights. It was just common to be carrying a pocket knife. Man time has certainly changed.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was growing up in rural areas of Tennessee, kids going around with knives was common place. But of course in school if anyone were found with one then the knife was confiscated and the kid suspended until a meeting with parents could be arranged. But many of us I recall didn't think much of it at the time. If a kid pulled theirs out during a fight then we'd look at them as a wimp/wuss/and variations of that adjective.
During High School I went to one of the roughest schools in Dallas (N. Dallas High) and knives were common place but well hidden as anyone found carrying would have the knife confiscated and the kid simply arrested by the attending Dallas police officer on duty at the time. If a kid pulled theirs out during a fight, the adjectives would apply (but not quite as verbal) and we (my circle of friends) would know to be very careful around that person from then on.

Now-a-days. With gangs, pharmaceutically induced depression and other mental ills, and so forth... it's hard to say. Kids are becoming more and more desensitized to violence that depending upon the neighborhood/school their reaction would be varied. I'm sure it would be just as scary to see some pissed off kid branshing a blade and waving it around but the resultant trauma ... ? Hmm, t'would be interesting to know how kids would react now-a-days... I'm outta touch because I don't have kids of my own but have (dutch) nieces and nephews. Perhaps I should go ask them eh?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
When I was growing up in rural areas of Tennessee, kids going around with knives was common place. But of course in school if anyone were found with one then the knife was confiscated and the kid suspended until a meeting with parents could be arranged. But many of us I recall didn't think much of it at the time. If a kid pulled theirs out during a fight then we'd look at them as a wimp/wuss/and variations of that adjective.

My experiences exactly. Pulling a knife or kicking low (knee or you know where) was a sissy act and would earn ridicule, scorn and, perhaps, a payback butt whoopin.

My schools were the same - except in Florida. There, it was confiscated, your parents called AND your behind smacked with a big wooden paddle. My older brother forgot his Boy Scout knive once and ran home to put it back, which caused him to be late for school. His knife wasn't confiscated but I think he may have got a couple of swats for being tardy.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had my pocket knife confiscated in the seventh grd because I took it out to show someone. When I graduated I went back to that teacher to let her know I "made it' and she reached into the desk and gave me back my knife. She had usd it for a leter opener all those years.

I live back in a small town nowadays but I see hte influence of the city moveing in and I have mixed felings about students carrying a knie, If it is a small pocke knife I dont think much about it but if it was a stright blade I look at it differently.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
I carried a 2 7/8" kershaw torsion blade when I was in High school. 3" was the maximum allowed size for knives under colorado law. So since it was a state law, the local restriction had no juristiction. I really let some boxes and tape have it I tell ya.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My girls both tell me that they know of quite a few kids that have knives in school. They have never been personally threatened, thank goodness. We have talked about what to do in a situation like that. This thread has reminded me that maybe it is time for a refresher. Thanks, Geo. :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
I carried a 2 7/8" kershaw torsion blade when I was in High school. 3" was the maximum allowed size for knives under colorado law. So since it was a state law, the local restriction had no juristiction. I really let some boxes and tape have it I tell ya.

Last time I checked Local laws and statutes such as a township could exceed that of the state or fed and the reason why there are such laws as they usually have a local issue to address.

I would be very carefull ignoring the local laws for what the states' says.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Last time I checked Local laws and statutes such as a township could exceed that of the state or fed and the reason why there are such laws as they usually have a local issue to address.

I would be very carefull ignoring the local laws for what the states' says.

Guess I got lucky then. But I sure cant carry much of anything around here in San Fran. Some hippy might flip out as has happened in the past. I asked my boss at lunch why San Fran has so many issues with weapons. She told me once at work, a guy took out a pocket knife to open a box...some chick flipped out and called the cops. Here is the kicker..the guy gets cited for carrying a concealed weapon, had to appear in court and was fined 500 bucks. I'm considering one of those combat canes really quickly in this place I tell ya.... :idunno:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Junior High and High school lots of people had knives, all different types. Even ones not legal in Canada.

For the most part they where just "toys", I can't remember anyone ever pulling one out as a threat.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
School policy here in Texas is simple caught with one you are suspended, second time you go to alternative school.I whole heartily agree with this no child should carry any weapon to school.Just my opinion.
Terry

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
School policy here in Texas is simple caught with one you are suspended, second time you go to alternative school.I whole heartily agree with this no child should carry any weapon to school.Just my opinion.
Terry

So, pencils, pens, belts, and other such "weapons" shouldn't be carried either? Anything can be a weapon. It is all attitude!

When I was in high school in the early 70's many of us not only carried knives but we also had rifles or shotguns in our vehicles from going hunting before or after school. We even had a required gun safey and hunting safety class as well as a skeet club at the high school. Oh how we were abused, traumatized, and miss led by our parents and teachers. Imagine actually having to learn how to handle and use a weapon safely At School! We were mentally and emotionally devastated for life.

Danny

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
When I was in school, knives were very prevalent! Eveyone had a 007, a "tiger" knife, butterfly knives etc.. Plus, small firearms were also around, carried in the "fanny packs" very easily. Hell, I remember the girls used to carry razor blades in their mouths! Some of those encounters were very memorable, in a horrifying manner!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
When I was in school, knives were very prevalent! Eveyone had a 007, a "tiger" knife, butterfly knives etc.. Plus, small firearms were also around, carried in the "fanny packs" very easily. Hell, I remember the girls used to carry razor blades in their mouths! Some of those encounters were very memorable, in a horrifying manner!

Where did you grow up? How long ago?

Latest Discussions