Teaching everything

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All of my students are taught the minimum requirements for their rank. Most of them are taught more than the minimum - how much more depends on age/maturity, time for practice, physical and mental skills, demonstrated ability, etc. - in general, I take them as far and as fast as they are ready for, but not all students go the same speed, for the reasons given as well as others. In addition, some techniques require more time to master than others, and I tend to teach those earlier than required, so that students have more time to master them before they are required to demonstrate them in testing or tournaments.

I couldn't agree more, eventually, if they stay around long enough, they will know the whole curriculum. I also encourage them to cross train, and share what they learn elsewhere.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All students get taught the same material. The more advanced details of the techniques get taught to those that are ready for it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You should hold information back, if you have trust issues with the student. You don't hang a black belt on everyone that walks through your door. Some people just aren't moraly developed or worthy.
Sean